• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Touch up paint

#1 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Have an annoying scratch on my j45
Will this stuff make the guitar explode or anything ?

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

Grunt if you use it, pls document... I have a small headstock chip on my J50....

#3 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Honestly, unless you can touch it up with the point of a needle I fear you'll notice the touch-up more than the scratch.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#4 User is offline   Wee Davy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNottingham UK - Home of Robin Hood

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 08 May 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

Have an annoying scratch on my j45
Will this stuff make the guitar explode or anything ?

Posted Image

I've used it in the past to touch up a couple of chips on my Guild 12 string. Use tiny drops and let it spread into the chip until you get a flat suface.
Wee Davy
Older no wiser.

Guild D212 1981
Guild D125 2011
Gibson Hummingbird Pro 2013
Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano 2014
Wee Davy Concert Banjo Uke 2014
Telecaster Homebuild. 2015

#5 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

jedzep, on 08 May 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Honestly, unless you can touch it up with the point of a needle I fear you'll notice the touch-up more than the scratch.

I doubt that.
The scratch is all I see
The guitars not pristine , and I don't worry about that but it's such a shitty scratch

I'll take a pic when I get home
I kinda new I'd have to use a pinhead or something
Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks lads

#6 User is offline   Wee Davy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNottingham UK - Home of Robin Hood

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 08 May 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

I doubt that.
The scratch is all I see
The guitars not pristine , and I don't worry about that but it's such a shitty scratch

I'll take a pic when I get home
I kinda new I'd have to use a pinhead or something
Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks lads

I used a 0000 paint brush that I used to use for retouching black and white photographs.
A pair of magnifying specs can be helpful.
Dab it on in tiny spots. Don't use a painting motion or it will be obvious.
Like most jobs, it's worth taking your time.
Wee Davy
Older no wiser.

Guild D212 1981
Guild D125 2011
Gibson Hummingbird Pro 2013
Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano 2014
Wee Davy Concert Banjo Uke 2014
Telecaster Homebuild. 2015

#7 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Davy.

Posted Image

It's a doozy 😄

#8 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

ouch!

that area is not really ALL black Stu.. Have you tried to use some scratch remover first?

There's a few different ones you can try, (meguire's scratch x believe it or not, may help..)

There are some products made JUST for guitars tho. maybe you'd feel better using one of those?
just a quick google turns up some stiff like this: https://www.guitarscratchremover.com/

I think the Black paint will stick out a bit more than you'd like.
/Ray

#9 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

I've tried all polishes
Think I'm making it whiter by using them

If it was a straight line I'd leave it as it might look like player wear
But it's so odd , and I honestly don't know how it got there.
All I can think of is changing strings and some weird circumstance with the end of a thin string did it. Because it's such a weird shape

I seriously hate it . Think I'd rather have a black line that I could remember doing 😄

#10 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 08 May 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

I've tried all polishes
Think I'm making it whiter by using them

If it was a straight line I'd leave it as it might look like player wear
But it's so odd , and I honestly don't know how it got there.
All I can think of is changing strings and some weird circumstance with the end of a thin string did it. Because it's such a weird shape

I seriously hate it . Think I'd rather have a black line that I could remember doing ��

watch this: https://video.search...e8&action=click

Case Latch??

Seriously, check this link: https://www.guitarscratchremover.com/

there is one example looks like yours.. if you can believe the photos... it worked in that case.
/Ray

#11 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

kidblast, on 08 May 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

watch this: https://video.search...e8&action=click

Case Latch??

Seriously, check this link: https://www.guitarscratchremover.com/

there is one example looks like yours.. if you can believe the photos... it worked in that case.

That's reminding me of the middle of the night adverts where they set for to car bonnets

'Wow I can't believe it's the same car !!'

#12 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

OOopps, , , that scratch isn't the right kind of scratch.

Have you considered one of those water-resistant ultra thin black felt pens. Easy to steer and very discrete.

I would start there.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

E-minor7, on 08 May 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

OOopps, , , that scratch isn't the right kind of scratch.

Have you considered one of those water-resistant ultra thin black felt pens. Easy to steer and very discrete.

I would start there.

Really ?
I thought they would stick out like a sore thumb due to the difference in ink ??

#14 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

View Postjedzep, on 08 May 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Depending on where it is on the guitar, I'll agree. If you're that worried about a scratch I'd take it to someone who knows what they doing, otherwise it could end up looking worse than the scratch itself, like a poor cover-up job of a bad tattoo!

#15 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

View Postsbpark, on 08 May 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Depending on where it is on the guitar, I'll agree. If you're that worried about a scratch I'd take it to someone who knows what they doing, otherwise it could end up looking worse than the scratch itself, like a poor cover-up job of a bad tattoo!

That's my thought as well. An experienced luthier or repair tech might thin some lacquer way down, and depending on how the far into or through the finish the scratch has gone, drop fill or overspray slightly, then buff it down.

It's magic what an experienced guy could do with this, probably at reasonable cost.

In any case, the first thing is to get all the polish residue out of that scratch. I've had reasonable success using cotton swabs (Q-tips) and naphtha, but it will take a bit of effort and patience to get it out.

#16 User is offline   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

I would be interested in seeing how your scratch turns out BBG that is an ugly one. I do not have any yet on any of my guitars but I like to be loaded with the info of what to do if.

#17 User is offline   Lars68 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

I have a trick that could work. I have used my kids WATER based wide tip drawing pens to make all kinds of small scratches and marks disappear. I use them on my guitars and lacquered furniture etc. Buy a full color pen set at the kids store and pick the closest color. Use the pen right on top of the scratch, then wipe the excess off with a damp cloth.

Just make sure you go to the kids store and get water based pens. Alcohol based will melt the finish. As long as the pens are water based, you can do no damage.

I have even used this trick on my old 1942 Banner. J-45. I can not even find the touch up spots now.

Lars

#18 User is offline   sbpark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 08 May 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

Thanks Davy.

Posted Image

It's a doozy ��

Thats nothing. Honestly I'd just live with it. Over time it will get dirty and just become part of the character of the guitar. Like I mentioned above, if that scratch annoys you, a bad repair will annoy you even more. Take it to a pro. You paid a lot of money for that guitar, don't cheap out and do it yourself to save money unless you know what your doing. I do a lot of work on my own guitars (set ups, cut my own nuts when I'm not lazy, have made saddles form blanks including slotted saddles for my AJ), but know when the work at hand requires a real pro.

#19 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

My pristine black car hood got a dozen paint chips from an idiot gravel truck driver that didn't close his back flap scoop all the way. Marble sized gravel at 70 mph does wonders. Also put a dent in my windshield. I cleaned each one real well so the paint would adhere. There were no dents, just gray spots the size of the dot over the "i" on the Gibson logo on our headstocks. I used a toothpick to put a small drop in each one and waited to see if it would slowly sink and level out to fill in the pockmark. If it didn't, I wiped it clean with paint thinner and tried again. A few days later, I went over them with the meguiers Scratch x to polish out and blend in any imperfections. Be sure your paint is thin and fluid so it will seep into the scratch. As was suggested, a small needle or pin might be the best "brush". I agree, that scratch would drive me to distraction. A black line, if done right will be less noticeable. Since the paint color and gloss won't be an identical match, the trick is to only use it to fill in the scratch. It might be possible to fill it in slightly over filled, and wipe off the excess only with a naphtha damp rag. G'Luck!
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#20 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 08 May 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Really ?
I thought they would stick out like a sore thumb due to the difference in ink ??

I've tried different methods over the years - primarily on vintage tops and headstocks.
Both cellulose gloss paint and oil paint in the the right blends. Sometimes even aquarel-color and as said felt pen.

This scratch is hyper thin and the risk you'ld fumble a clumsy retouche forward with the brush is present.
Of course I know nothing 'bout your fine-painting-skills, but U see what I mean.

Make the pen step 1 and buff it down. See how it turns out - might reflect differently from different angles in certain lightings, but it's worth a try.
If it doesn't work, go Northwest with a horse hair. You might have a miracle cure there if your hands can handle it.

Let us hear'n'see what happens. Quite exciting procedure ahead. And NO, , , I personally wouldn't let that paper-clip-like ding-thing get away with it.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users