Gibson Brands Forums

Touch up paint

Have an annoying scratch on my j45

Will this stuff make the guitar explode or anything

BBG, the answer is yes, it will make your guitar explode!

Or more to the point, it will probably end up causing your area of concern to explode into a truly ugly mess - and you will have created it, so it will drive you even crazier than what you have now.

That is a finish scratch. The nitro touch up will sit there in a blob, or series of blobs (no matter how miniscule), and you'll have one heck of a time smoothing it out & making it look like anything besides a hack job. You'll also most likely end up with visible alterations to some of your surrounding finish by trying to blend this area in (because black shows everything). If this were a dent or chip, it would be a totally different story.

Bottom line: Take it to someone who is experienced in working with nitro finishes !!!

If you simply must attack it yourself, the only thing I'd recommend would be to use some Virtuoso Cleaner (light to moderate pressure) on a fine microfiber cloth to buff down & remove some of the scarred finish within the scratch, and follow up with a bit of Virtuoso or Gibson polish to keep any of the cleaner from settling in..... sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't.

But please, just back slowly away from that black nitro!

Ah you guys !

Here's me hoping for some encouragement, all I'm getting is don't do it

Not gonna dive in , never was ... and I'm not paying a man money for the sake of a scratch.

Although if I bought all the stuff suggested by everyone I'd probably be better off giving to someone.

I hear toothpaste is good for scratches 🤔

Yes, I funnily enough mentioned this for my girlfriend the other day - she has a scratch on her mirror.

But it's gotta be mint.

Absoluelty!

Think I'll keep the toothpaste in the bathroom

Still undecided about the scratch.

All I know is it won't polish out. Too deep

Not sure about the pens advice as to me would be just the same as using a tiny brush and , what should be , the correct material to fix it ....

Lars and his water based paint with the ability to wipe off excess is making the most sense at this time

A gentle wipe should leave the scratch filled up

Thinking thinking thinking

Lars and his water based paint with the ability to wipe off excess is making the most sense at this time

A gentle wipe should leave the scratch filled up

Hmmm, , , yes, I mentioned the water-based too and called aquarel.

The times I used that was direct on deeper (top)wood scars, which were able to soak it up. But try your ways.

Say it again : go pen

I have some concerns about the weight of the paint will add to the guitar and possibly suck some tone and volume out of it

Bomb-thrower!

It will just re-establish the guitar's equilibrium, which has been upset by the scratch...

How did you "dent" your windshield?! I'll never own a black car. Way too much work to care for a black finish and if you don't keep up on it, it will start looking like crap pretty darn fast after you drive off the lot.

Scratch X is awesome for polishing guitars to get rid of light swirls, small surface scratches, etc. I've used it on Gibson Nitro finishes and it's great.

Agree. I didn't realize how very sensitive a black car finish was until talking to a body repair guy. I would probably go full postal OCD if I hung out at a forum discussing black car finishes. "Can't use hard water to wash them." "Don't go within 100 miles of the shore or the salt air will turn it gray." But the 'dent' - turned out to be a crack. When the small rock hit it - it sounded like a shot.

BBG - Plan B: If you can't get the scratch out - get a nice bumper sticker. "This Machine Kills Fascists!" is timeless!

You'd think if you were there you could spell it properly !

Stop messing on my threads !!

🕺

A bit rash, don't you think?

"We have a cream for that if you'll walk this way"

"If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need the cream."

I changed the tuners on the martin instead 😄

Still thinking about the scratch

Although I shouldn't have asked anyone , just used whatever was in the garage and if it made a mess I could plead that I didn't touch it and people would just put t down to gibsons being dodgy

• Upvote 1

I changed the tuners on the martin instead 😄

Still thinking about the scratch

Although I shouldn't have asked anyone , just used whatever was in the garage and if it made a mess I could plead that I didn't touch it and people would just put t down to gibsons being dodgy

Do you have a taxidermy studio in your garage as well?

I wanted to install electronic knobs on the upper bout of the old J45 I won in a poker game, but the only thing I had in my garage was one of those things you attach to a drill to cut a hole in a door for a door knob.

I couldn't find a set of controls with a round panel. I guess I should have remembered the square peg round hole warning my mother gave me when she kicked me out.

So I plugged the piece of mahogany back in and sold the guitar to some guy who knows a luthier named Sandy who is also a taxidermist like you.

It began to slide when you attacked my spelling. Hell of it is, I can't recall my thinking at the time - so perhaps the ravages of the 1970's are taking their toll? A smarta$$ needs a fully functioning memory. However, I see new vistas unfolding for later interactions in the realm of buying/selling instruments...

Seller: My price is firm

Buyer: Are you a taxidermist?

Seller: No. Why do you ask?

Buyer: Because you can stuff your damn guitar!

Gotta admit, though, if we didn't enjoy it here there'd be something wrong with us☺