Gibson Brands Forums

Alzheimers and the guitar

Wee Davy

My mother died of this vile disease. Even in the late stages she could still knock out her favourite tunes on the piano.

Hopefully,if I ever succumb to it like this lady, my muscle memory will still be as good as hers.

The video is fantastic. Real life. And what a spectacular mom! That video is a tearjerker too. Davy, I hope you write a song about your mom, and if you do I'd love to hear it............ I think music, both the muscle memory attributes and the mind memory, is something Alzheimers patients seem to hang-on to. I'm not speaking as a medical person, but as an observer. There's something in music that gets embedded in our minds and disease can't wipe it out. Like several in here, I play some nursing/retirement/rehab centers. Quite often I'm asked to play a few songs for folks in the Alzheimers ward. When you first walk in, most of the people are just sitting there in a daze, off in their own world. Once the music starts, the looks on their faces changes and many will start singing along or humming. Their memory retains the lyrics and melody to their favorite songs. It's undeniable. Music really is a "the universal language" and allows us to communicate with more than just words...........Thank you very much for sharing this video. Yes, there's is sadness in it, but at the same time it is incredibly inspiring. RIP to your mama. I bet she knew she had a great son.

The Jam group I hang with plays at a couple Alzheimers units during the week. (I can't as I have to work :( )

They said patients that have not spoke in months start singing. Some of the patients cry as they hear old songs (we play a bit of gospel), and they are well appreciated.

I can't wait until I retire. (1 to 2 years) I really look forward to playing for these folks.

My mother died of this vile disease. Even in the late stages she could still knock out her favourite tunes on the piano.

Hopefully,if I ever succumb to it like this lady, my muscle memory will still be as good as hers.

Thanks for sharing this. We all know people who have been affected by this, your video touched me deeply and is a huge message of hope for all of us.

I guess music is not just about memory but prints our whole body and soul.

There's hope for me yet:

music and dementia

Seriously, music is a key to calmness the older you get. Most people my age (70) start to worry about losing it, especially if there is a history of dementia in your family. I use an obsession with music--especially remembering (and learning) how to play songs, remembering (and writing) lyrics--as a bridge between past, present, and maybe future.

It may be the repetitive nature of learning and practice that helps keep the neurons firing correctly...

Archived