Gibson Brands Forums

oh - you didn't know?

you can just give in. don't try to resist. you know you always wanted one, but you just couldn't see yourself buying a $6300 guitar. well now you can have one at a price that won't have you sleeping on the couch. the gods of guitar have heard your cries, and they have blessed you.

behold:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Ltd-Ed-Johnny-A-Custom-Outfit.aspx

JohnnyA_Splash.jpg

Beautiful looking guitar. I searched the website and couldn't find any MSRP? It asked me what part of the world I lived in and told me the closest dealers.

Wondering about how the body is constructed? The Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A. description says theirs is a 336 type body. But that could mean a few different things. It could mean that it is a little smaller than a 335, or it could mean that it's made like a 336.

A 336 starts with a solid block of mahogany which is routed out to form the upper and lower bouts, and leaves a center block down the middle, so back, sides, and center block are all from one piece of wood. The top is carved maple and they leave a center block as well. The two center blocks are mated together - but it is the one piece of mahogany that really contributes to the feel and sound.

The Epi site says it is a mahogany body with a "3-Ply Laminated Maple top with a Flame Maple Veneer" so not very clear on how it is constructed in terms of center block etc.

But very cool looking, just wondering what the price might be.

I searched the website and couldn't find any MSRP...

Wondering about how the body is constructed?...

Here in the UK it's available to pre-order for £699 (which equates to $905);

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ETJAHSGB3/semi-hollow-hollow-body/epiphone-ltd-ed-johnny-a-signature-outfit-heritage-sunburst?LGWCODE=ETJAHSGB3;56375;6335&gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezRne_jc-V4E1h8hJI1LmAcdEcnYQ_JY3wMRvCJpkMmYGgLvSvD_BwE

FWIW my guess is that, for a few reasons, it will be the 'solid mahogany with routed-out chambers and centre-block' style.

Gorgeous guitar. I'd like one!

Pip.

Here in the UK it's available to pre-order for £699 (which equates to $905);

FWIW my guess is that, for a few reasons, it will be the 'solid mahogany with routed-out chambers and centre-block' style.

Gorgeous guitar. I'd like one!

Pip.

Wow, a seemingly really low price compared to Gibson Johnny A and CS 336. A custom shop Johnny MSRP is $4,699, the CS336 used to be $3,899, but is now only available through custom ordering for about $6K. I realize Epis are made in the far east where labor is less, but the cost of the Bigsby and gold hardware and other components has to be about the same [confused]

I realize Epis are made in the far east where labor is less, but the cost of the Bigsby and gold hardware and other components has to be about the same [confused]

the B70 is the imported "licensed" variant of the USA Made B7, Last I checked, these are about half the cost.

...When I first opened this thread and saw the picture I never even noticed it was an Epiphone...

Oddly enough (IMO) it's one of those rare-ish guitars where I find the Epi headstock shape to be more harmonious to the whole shebang than is the Gibson version.

All the curves of the body - the sizes, the shapes, the points - seem to suit the Epi p'head shape ("Historic Sloped Dovewing", apparently) very well.

Pip.

I'd have to 2nd that.

The ebony fingerboard might still make it worth it though. Could probably hardtail it for another £200.

I'm a firm believer in leaving the fish I don't like for the fisherpeople that do.

rct

...the CS336 used to be $3,899, but is now only available through custom ordering for about $6K...

WHOA! I'm going to go grab my CS336 & love up on it. I honestly don't remember what I paid for it now but I know it wasn't anywhere near even that lower amount. :o Hell yeah! :)

I believe there are no perfect fish. They are all work-in-progress. I dont have time to wait for them to evolve

True. I have no need of perfect, as evidenced by all the Fenders I've used in my life.

rct

WHOA! I'm going to go grab my CS336 & love up on it. I honestly don't remember what I paid for it now but I know it wasn't anywhere near even that lower amount. :o Hell yeah! :)

Damn right Rev. When I got my 336 back in 2003 it was marked down about 25% to just under $3K, just because none of the dummies at Sam Ash new what it was and it had been sitting there awhile. Not in production now, but you can order one from custom shop for big bucks. [scared]

Archived