Gibson Brands Forums

My new Traditional

nopicknick

Very nice. Can't tell if it's a shadow in the photo or not as there is some glare, but it looks like the grain is running across the guitar but right about where the bridge pickup tone control is there almost looks like a knot in the wood. Nothing detrimental, just haven't seen that before, very unique. Could be just a shadow or smudge but caught my eye in the photos.

How does she play and sound??

Very nice. Can't tell if it's a shadow in the photo or not as there is some glare, but it looks like the grain is running across the guitar but right about where the bridge pickup tone control is there almost looks like a knot in the wood. Nothing detrimental, just haven't seen that before, very unique. Could be just a shadow or smudge but caught my eye in the photos.

How does she play and sound??

You know I didn't catch that before...it does have what looks like a knot. I actually saw this guitar in GC on Saturday when I was in there. I bought a Studio Deluxe IV I think it was with a BB 2 in the neck and a 3 in the bridge. Guitar was fine, but I didn't really care for the BB2 in the bridge. Got to thinking about the Traditional above and called them Sunday about doing a return. They told me the Traditional had sold later in the day on Saturday, but they just put out a Classic if I were interested in that model. Well, by the time I got down there the buyer from the day before had returned the traditional.

The guitar sounds fantastic, and IMO the BB2 is much better suited as a bridge pickup. The BB1 in the neck is exceptionally nice too. I am getting the action, intonation, and neck adjusted now. I prefer heavier strings, and pretty high action so there is a breaking in period to get through first. Great guitar that I am glad I got the chance to get. It was on sell for $1859 which I am guessing is a pretty fair deal for a new 2017 model.

...It really is a beautiful guitar...

It really IS a beautiful guitar! Lovely dark 'board, too.

Congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

...right about where the bridge pickup tone control is there almost looks like a knot in the wood. Nothing detrimental, just haven't seen that before...

I could be wrong but I think what you are seeing are mineral flecks. There are more to be seen in that snap on the bass bout and near the p'up toggle and waist area in the other picture. Mineral streaks are quite often seen in Eastern Maple tops but not so much on Western Maple tops. As the original '58-'60 'bursts used Eastern Maple quite a number of them have similar streaks.

IMO it makes the top look slightly more like an old 'un!

Pip.

I thought that the Traditional's came with 57/57+ classic pups.

Different year Trads got different pickups. 2008-2013 & 2016 did come with the 57/57+ combo, 2014-2015 came with the 59 Tributes, and now 2017 comes with a BurstBucker 1 & 2.

The OP's is a 2017 model.

• 2 weeks later...

What locking tuners would be a direct replacement with no exposed holes or need to drill new ones? The high E string tuner is slipping. It is holding pitch, but feels like it is slipping or stripped out when tuning up to pitch. I could contact Gibson, but I would like to have a locking set on the guitar anyway.....thanks!

Ebony, right? Love me an ebony fretboard. How come Gibson doesn't use ebony on its acoustics?...

Actually, Cougar, according to the specs on Gibson's page it will be rosewood - just a very dark slab in this instance!

It's been years since ebony was used for even the Les Paul Custom so I'm not surprised to hear you say it's not commonly seen on the acoustic side of things.

Pip.

Archived