Gibson Brands Forums

"Brothers In Arms"

pippy

Inspired to hunt out some MK after Dave's post I came across this little gem which I hadn't seen before.

Great music beautifully played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_oZJ1ujUw

Pip.

EDIT : Interesting to see that MK has now had signature models released by Fender ('57/'62 hybrid Strat); Gibson (1958 LP Standard) and Martin (HD-40 and 000-40S)....

Clapton has been similarly honoured (or is it that they have honoured Fender, Gibson and Martin?).

Has anyone else been given the same accolade?.......eusa_think.gif......

Great song one of my favorites.

Does his '58 have an out of phase switch? I remember reading this song was recorded with the pickups out of phase.

Another Dire Straits song I have been listening to a lot is Tunnel of Love although that is a Strat song.

I have a push/pull 500k pot laying around and I have been contemplating installing it in my 58 reissue.

Does his '58 have an out of phase switch? I remember reading this song was recorded with the pickups out of phase...

As far as the '58 goes it isn't wired up for o-o-p but remember that the "Brothers in Arms" track was recorded using a circa '84 (i.e. pre-historic) LP Re-issue; MK didn't yet own an original 'burst.

I haven't been able to find out if the R-I was o-o-p but I haven't exactly checked-out all sources....

Pip.

Ok, that makes sense as I do.not recall reading anything about a 58 when I read about it.

The sound of the original recording definitely sounds out of phase to me, the sound of this clip you posted does not.

Well, I still haven't found out if the "Brothers.." LP featured the magnet-flip but I did find this web page;

http://www.oneverybo...tars_gibson.htm

The blurb accompanying the third-guitar down mentions;

"It was modified to get special sound effects...."

The article also points out that the guitar used for the "BiA" album was an '83 (not '84) Pre-Historic R-I but, in the true spirit of 'You-Learn-Something-New-Every-Day', not the one I had in mind! I thought he used the CS one seen 4th-down in the listing which bears MK's birthdate as its serial number.

That's Me Told!

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Ah, great link.

If I was to guess I would bet the referenced modification is probably a push/pull switch to get the oop sound, I doubt MK would give up the ability to use normal middle position.

Ah, great link.

If I was to guess I would bet the referenced modification is probably a push/pull switch to get the oop sound, I doubt MK would give up the ability to use normal middle position.

I suppose it might well mean that, Riffster.

I was thinking magnet-flip but your suggestion would make a bit more sense for a Pro such as Mark.

And the link!

I had a bit of a look at the very first link in the page (with MK's original '58) with the magazine cover and there's a couple of things which stood out for me;

The TV show mentioned at the bottom of the grey inset top-right - "Chapeau Melon et Bottes de Cuir"(*) - is the (splendid) French name for the UK's original series of 'The Avengers' which, at the height of its popularity, featured the wonderful pairing of Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg in the roles of John Steed and Emma Peel. Apparently my (French) wife's (Spanish) grandfather would never countenance missing a single episode. Nor do I blame him...

The other tidbit was in the text near MK's picking hand. In between Gary Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen they mention the popular French band of the time; Zebda. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Summer's Barbecue Party hosted by a couple of members of the band and the total experience of food, wine, music and sundry other nonsense provided that evening will live long in my memory!

Apologies to the OP for going Off Topic............msp_blushing.gif.............

OK; apology accepted. But Don't Do It Again...angry.gif...

Pip.

* "Derby Hat and Leather Boots" (although Steed actually sported a Bowler).

Well, that turned out to be a cool magazine cover for you.

To get off subject even more, I have a magazine story.

One of my best friends and jamming buddy was trying to figure out who moved across the street from his house since it seemed to be an important musician. Well, I went to his house to jam one night and had a copy of Vintage Guitar magazine with me, I wanted to show him something in the magazine but never mind the gear ad i wanted to show him, there it was, his new neighbor, Tom Petersson bass player for Cheap Trick. I have met him a couple times since then.

And I say met him a couple of times because those guys meet so many peiple they'll never remember you,

...there it was, his new neighbor, Tom Petersson bass player for Cheap Trick. I have met him a couple times since then....

V. Cool!

I was at the right age to enjoy repeated listenings of 'Cheap Trick at Budokan' when it came out but I doubt I'd recognise any of the members save Rick Nielsen.

Pip.

Archived