Gibson Brands Forums

Troublesome E string

blindboygrunt

Had no issues that I noticed at last weeks night out and that was last time I played it

But . I did put a set of dadarrio 85/15 strings on it. They were £3.49 on eBay and so I decided that was a cheap experiment

I will change them this week and hopefully that's all it was/is

Made what should've been an easy night a bit of a pain in the proverbial

Cowboy - I resorted similarly

EA - huh ?

Had no issues that I noticed at last weeks night out and that was last time I played it

But . I did put a set of dadarrio 85/15 strings on it. They were £3.49 on eBay and so I decided that was a cheap experiment

I will change them this week and hopefully that's all it was/is

Made what should've been an easy night a bit of a pain in the proverbial

Cowboy - I resorted similarly

EA - huh ?

Did you play for a while before taking guitar to gig? OK?

Operator error? Ball end...slippage at string post... Do you pre-stretch the strings?

Only thing worse than that stretchy string at a gig is breaking a string in the first song!

BluesKing777.

Operator error !! How dare you

Strings have been on just over two weeks

Always stretch strings and been doing this long enough to rule out putting them on wrong

I played last weeks gig with them and I can't remember me being troubled ya know. But this week it just wouldn't behave ... tune up , start song and 'hmm something's not right'

Was tuning it a little flat and then trying to put pressure on the string to pull it into tune ... tricky

Guitar was in case from last weeks gig to this weeks

Nobody here ever experienced similar things ??

When tuning it would go in tune , ah that's it , take hand off tuning peg and it would waver ... tune it in again ... ok ... right that's it . Hand off tuner and waver a couple of cents ...

Your hand on headstock tends to sharp things. The heavier the string the more noticeable in a t00ner. Move the machine quickly, and don't count on the t00ner while your hand is on the machine, good practice for all machines on all guitars.

Yer ear, and every other ear in the building can't hear that you know.

rct

The £3.49 eBay D'Addario 85/15s are Chinese fakes. I bought a stack of them and they sounded awful, checked the serial numbers with D'Addario and they're knockoffs. I found they wouldn't stay in tune and caused hellish intonation issues on the wound strings. They made my '41 Reissue SJ100 sound so bad that I was convinced there was something fundamentally wrong with the guitar and was REALLY upset about it. A fresh set of REAL 12-54 D'ad 85/15s and she was singing again!

The £3.49 eBay D'Addario 85/15s are Chinese fakes. I bought a stack of them and they sounded awful, checked the serial numbers with D'Addario and they're knockoffs. I found they wouldn't stay in tune and caused hellish intonation issues on the wound strings. They made my '41 Reissue SJ100 sound so bad that I was convinced there was something fundamentally wrong with the guitar and was REALLY upset about it. A fresh set of REAL 12-54 D'ad 85/15s and she was singing again!

Tada !

There ya go

I knew there was nothing wrong with my tuning abilities

Only been doing it for 30 years. Thought it strange that it was somehow my fault

Speaking of Low E ...

The only string I ever seem to break is the high E. Not often, but always at the tuning post. And almost always when putting on a new set.

I just popped it Tuesday after putting on a new set of Elixirs.

(My fault - the tuner said 'b" so I kept tuning it up. Sadly, the tuner screen was at an angle and looked like it said 'b', but if I were looking straight at it, I would have seen the 'correct' screen and reading.

My question - how do you all deal with 5 good, new strings - and replace the broken #1? It seems wasteful to break up a new set, knowing I'll never use #s 2 through 6. Ive not bought single strings to replace broken ones for decades. (That was back when the only time I actually replaced a string was when it broke!) If they still sell singles, I'm assuming they are of marginal quality.

I tried saving old strings to use - to use as a backup, but same problem, plus they tend to break at the post as well, due to prior fatigue.

Thanks,

Speaking of Low E ...

The only string I ever seem to break is the high E. Not often, but always at the tuning post. And almost always when putting on a new set.

(My fault - the tuner said 'b" so I kept tuning it up. Sadly, the tuner screen was at an angle and looked like it said 'b', but if I were looking straight at it, I would have seen the 'correct' screen and reading.

My question - how do you all deal with 5 good, new strings - and replace the broken #1? It seems wasteful to break up a new set, knowing I'll never use #s 2 through 6. Ive not bought single strings to replace broken ones for decades. (That was back when the only time I actually replaced a string was when it broke!) If they still sell singles, I'm assuming they are of marginal quality.

I tried saving old strings to use - to use as a backup, but same problem, plus they tend to break at the post as well, due to prior fatigue.

Thanks,

Ah you're gonna get a load of 'your guitar needs looked at' replies

Speaking of Low E ...

Thanks,

Something burr-y at that machine. Put a teenie rattail file light in and around both holes or the slot.

Used strings are a waste of time.

Most Guitar Centers have a bin of singles of all sorts, not just Black Diamonds. I just busted a B first set first song first solo, so I'll stop and get a loose B of some sort that fits the set.

rct

Speaking of Low E ...

Thanks,

yea.. you can get singles from some of the online stores. (juststrings.com for example)..

Something burr-y at that machine. Put a teenie rattail file light in and around both holes or the slot.

Used strings are a waste of time.

Most Guitar Centers have a bin of singles of all sorts, not just Black Diamonds. I just busted a B first set first song first solo, so I'll stop and get a loose B of some sort that fits the set.

rct

I'd like to blame it on the guitar but It happens on all my guitars. Again - not often. Only when I screw up the winding.

I just bought an actual 'winder' and have googled how to properly wind on the tuner head. True Confessions.

Ah you're gonna get a load of 'your guitar needs looked at' replies

Nah - it's always been a clear cut case of "Operator Error". Usually bad winding at the tuner post, but this time, inability to use a new tuner.

If I'd taken up the Mouth Harp - I'd have no front teeth at this point.

Archived