Gibson Brands Forums

3 Pick Up Les Pauls

Twang Gang

So I never had a three pickup LP, but have seen quite a few recently and I was wondering how the toggle switch works in that set up. With a Fender you have the 5 position switch, but with a LP 3 Position switch is the middle pickup only on in the middle position? Always on?

I use the middle position often with a 2 PU LP and like to blend the tones varying the volume of each pickup. Seems the 3 PU configuration should give you more options, but not sure how it would work. Just curious [confused]

Don't own one, but I think the stock wiring is...

Toggle switch up position = neck pick-up only

Toggle switch in the middle position = middle and bridge pick-ups together

Toggle switch down position = bridge pick-up only

I've heard Peter Frampton has his wired so the middle pickup can be brought in at any time (so it's not on the switch which is wired like a standard). Seems like a better arrangement to me.

Don't own one, but I think the stock wiring is...

Toggle switch up position = neck pick-up only

Toggle switch in the middle position = middle and bridge pick-ups together

Toggle switch down position = bridge pick-up only

I've heard Peter Frampton has his wired so the middle pickup can be brought in at any time (so it's not on the switch which is wired like a standard). Seems like a better arrangement to me.

The above is correct per Gibson USA

OK, thanks guys. I guess I would have to play one to see what they sound like, but seems like the stock wiring doesn't really offer much. Middle position bridge and middle pu together can't sound that much different than what you can get with a 2 pickup set up.

I did see where some guys wire them with 3 volumes and a master tone, then you bring any combination of the 3 pickups together as you like by bringing up or cutting out a volume.

As I said I never played one, but overall seems like it may be more expense and trouble than it's worth. [confused]

a friend of mine has a Black Custom Shop LP Custom with 3 PUPS and a bigsby.

I found that middle pickup, for me anyway, was kind of in the way.. pick kept smacking into it. not sure if it's my technique, I don't have a heavy hand.

don't think those would be for me.

Here is a link as for a 3-humbucker guitar:

http://www.gregsguitars.de/en/product/876/2013_SG_Custom_Kirk_Douglas_Signature_LTD_Edition.html

In More Information (a bottom link) there was the next clarification concerning the 3-way switch: “Three of Gibson’s popular ’57 Classics provide a usefully contemporary take on vintage PAF humbucker tone, with added versatility thanks to coil-splitting switching on the tone controls’ push-pull pots. In addition, the TogPot™ selector switch carries a blender pot within its ring, to dial in the middle pickup level to any position, as desired. All this clever wiring trickery gives the Kirk Douglas SG unseen sonic depths, while hiding within the traditional four-knob plus three-way switch control array.”

Now the said bottom link does not work, but on the video the guy demonstrates the operation of the switch. Although I think that similar 3-humbucker guitars are now incomplete (imperfect) despite the wiring trickery. I.e. such guitars require a rework yet.

This is from the Gibson website Re: 1957 custom 20th anniversary BB:

"The three-way Switchcraft™ toggle switch is wired in the traditional manner for three-pickup Les Paul Customs: it selects the neck pickup in the rhythm position, middle and bridge together in the middle position, and bridge pickup in the lead position. "

http://www.gibson.co...y-3-Pickup.aspx

That's what Gibson told me over the phone when I called about this last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link as for a 3-humbucker guitar:

http://www.gregsguit...TD_Edition.html

In More Information (a bottom link) there was the next clarification concerning the 3-way switch: "Three of Gibson's popular '57 Classics provide a usefully contemporary take on vintage PAF humbucker tone, with added versatility thanks to coil-splitting switching on the tone controls' push-pull pots. In addition, the TogPot™ selector switch carries a blender pot within its ring, to dial in the middle pickup level to any position, as desired. All this clever wiring trickery gives the Kirk Douglas SG unseen sonic depths, while hiding within the traditional four-knob plus three-way switch control array."

Now the said bottom link does not work, but on the video the guy demonstrates the operation of the switch. Although I think that similar 3-humbucker guitars are now incomplete (imperfect) despite the wiring trickery. I.e. such guitars require a rework yet.

I am thinking about some modifications for my BB and I came across this pre-wired harness for 3 pup LPs (link below). It has a push pull tone pot that lets you turn on/off the middle pup so you can have it on with any other pup combination. Sounds similar to what is mentioned above.

https://www.siglermusiconline.com/products/gibson-les-paul-black-beauty-3-pickup-wiring-harness-bourns-cts-switchcraft-gold

Archived