Gibson Brands Forums

My New 2016 Gibson J45 Standard Has Shipped!

RainboGuy

Here's a true story:

I bought my first Gibson J45 in 1967, right before I went to College on a Music Scholarship....LOVED that guitar and played it constantly for gratis in Coffee houses around Campus, back in the day.

Jump to 1969, when I joined the US NAVY....I took the guitar with me and played it whenever I could.

Sometime in 1971, while with the US Sixth Fleet somewhere in the Mediterranean, I LOST that guitar in a poker game at Sea. I know, how dumb can ya be? Ever since that day, in the back of my mind, I have yearned for another J45 because of the way that guitar looked, played, and most importantly sounded.

Jump to YESTERDAY.....When, after a LOT of research on the Montana-Made 2016 Gibson J45's consistency, build quality, and SOUND......I order a new one from American Musical Supply, and I just received my ship notification just a couple of minutes ago. FedEx says the guitar will be here tomorrow...so YES.....I AM STOKED!

A fine story- certainly worthy of some sort of custom touch on the incoming J-45 to commemorate the J 45 lost in the poker game; see Dwight Yoakam Honky-tonk Deuce Gibson guitar for reference.

Remember: pics or it didn't happen. thanks for your service

And, rent paid or not, I still sometimes I think he might live under a bridge

A fine story- certainly worthy of some sort of custom touch on the incoming J-45 to commemorate the J 45 lost in the poker game; see Dwight Yoakam Honky-tonk Deuce Gibson guitar for reference.

Remember: pics or it didn't happen. thanks for your service

And, rent paid or not, I still sometimes I think he might live under a bridge

😲

Here's a true story:

I bought my first Gibson J45 in 1967, right before I went to College on a Music Scholarship....LOVED that guitar and played it constantly for gratis in Coffee houses around Campus, back in the day.

Jump to 1969, when I joined the US NAVY....I took the guitar with me and played it whenever I could.

Sometime in 1971, while with the US Sixth Fleet somewhere in the Mediterranean, I LOST that guitar in a poker game at Sea. I know, how dumb can ya be? Ever since that day, in the back of my mind, I have yearned for another J45 because of the way that guitar looked, played, and most importantly sounded.

Jump to YESTERDAY.....When, after a LOT of research on the Montana-Made 2016 Gibson J45's consistency, build quality, and SOUND......I order a new one from American Musical Supply, and I just received my ship notification just a couple of minutes ago. FedEx says the guitar will be here tomorrow...so YES.....I AM STOKED!

That's so awesome. I lost my rent in a poker game once, that hurt enough, but a J-45? Ouch!!!!

Have Fun. I love mine.

You will love it, I have exactly the same guitar and they really are great. [thumbup]

What a tale - so now that the circle comes full I guess we can use the term one pair, , , , with 50 years between them.

I'm sure the new one will be good, but prepare for something different. They won't be identical - time has brought the model further.

Then again only you can feel and tell what you think about the two when the 16 sails in - please do.

And 1 Q : Can't help but wondering 'bout what you played in the meantime. .

I'd like to offer congratulations on the second coming of your guitar, and I know you will love it. I love me some J45, just gotta find one to buy someday.

But let me leave you with some solid advice about your new guitar that has done me well since...well, since I first heard it and played it in some dark, dirt floored honkty tonk in southern NJ:

You got to know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em...

rct

Congratulations from another (2011) Gibson J45 Standard owner!

Did the winner of your old guitar actually 'play' guitar? Doesn't help any if he did, I suppose, but...

I'm pretty lousy at poker, so maybe we could put your new J45 in the pot and have a few friendly hands? [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

FedEx notified me that it's here at the local FedEx Facility....and should be out for delivery......BOY AM I EVER STOKED!

Once it gets here at my house, the hard part starts..

I BOUGHT THIS GUITAR AS AN INCENTIVE TO QUIT SMOKING CIGARETTES!!!!

Once it gets here...I STOP!

You won't need cigarettes, your hands will be too busy playing and your mouth will be too busy singing!! Fantastic choice of guitar. I have a '67 and have owned new ones too, and can confirm that the new models are very sweet and will probably become even better than a '67 give plenty of playtime.

I just got my new Gibson J-45 a week ago Monday from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado. I love Gibson acoustics and this one is no exception. The anticipation of getting it is half the fun. I live in Minnesota so of course the day it came, we had record low temps, lows in the 30's, highs in the 40's, and we had snow flakes. Just shouldn't happen even in Minnesota. So the big brown truck didn't come until 4 that afternoon. Now its sat out in 30s and 40s for 5 days and nights so I couldn't tear open the box and open up the case until the guitar acclimated to my house. So I waited from 4 on Monday till noon on Tuesday before I opened up that baby. But it was worth every minute of the wait! Guitar survived the weather and my waiting. Happy playing once you get it. You won't regret it!

Oh I can FEEL and SHARE your excitement, friend. I am picking up a J45 Rosewood Custom from its original owner, set to arrive TODAY. I can't work or think this morning...maybe I'll do a shot to calm my nerves! ;)

Congrats and good luck with your new baby!

The guitar arrived yesterday morning and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.....visually stunning!

The action is too high to my liking, so I am planning on taking it to a luthier for a setup first thing on Monday morning. After I get it back I will figure out how to post pics here and do a report...

Archived