Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EJ200 Esonic2 issue

Mysterblues

Hi all! I am new here!

I have been a loyal Epiphone fan for decades. My main axe is a Sheraton. I did like it out of the box but I ended up putting a Lollar Low Wind Imperial in the neck with a coil tap, an 80's Dimarzio SD in the bridge,(which sounds great!)a master volume, bone nut, and string saver GraphTech saddles. The already good Sheraton is now a Swiss Army knife of a guitar!!!!

I just acquired an Epiphone EJ200ce and have weird issues with the Shadow Esonic2. It seems a lot of people are having issues with these electronics with no customer service whatsoever. Has anyone here experienced it? And if so, how did you remedy it? I think I am going to simply get a good sound hole mount pickup.

Thanks for looking and nice to meet ya!

post-85369-051008100 1494522401_thumb.jpg

I just acquired an Epiphone EJ200ce and have weird issues with the Shadow Esonic2. It seems a lot of people are having issues with these electronics with no customer service whatsoever. Has anyone here experienced it? And if so, how did you remedy it? I think I am going to simply get a good sound hole mount pickup.

Exactly what kind of issues do you experience with the pickup?

It simply does not work as it should. Almost as if I need a stereo cable (which it's not supposed to). If I pull the cord slightly out of the jack it works the neck mag. Push Virginia in and piezo comes on. But can't get them together to even try and blend them. Again, seems like a major problematic system that no one is accepting to remedy. The guitar is great, but Shadow Electronics is a let down. Surprised Epiphone/Gibson has kind of ignored this too.

Seriously? yes I am aware of the two jacks. The mono one does not work correctly and sometimes not at all. The two together for stereo out does not work at all. It is obvious that the Shadow electronics suck; people are having issues on both sides of the globe if you search the internet. The thing is, neither Shadow or Epiphone seems to be of any help,(Epiphone says it's Shadow's issue- Shadow does not reply)

So I was merely wondering how other Epiphone users have dealt with this situation. If they have replaced it, what with? I am looking at getting a decent soundhole pickup as Peizo never seems to sound good to me.

Thoughts?

Seriously? yes I am aware of the two jacks. The mono one does not work correctly and sometimes not at all. The two together for stereo out does not work at all. It is obvious that the Shadow electronics suck; people are having issues on both sides of the globe if you search the internet. The thing is, neither Shadow or Epiphone seems to be of any help,(Epiphone says it's Shadow's issue- Shadow does not reply)

So I was merely wondering how other Epiphone users have dealt with this situation. If they have replaced it, what with? I am looking at getting a decent soundhole pickup as Peizo never seems to sound good to me.

Thoughts?

Here's my experience: I've found the Shadow pickups and preamps to be highly susceptible to malfunction and cheap-sounding—overall they're simply garbage in my view. After the Shadow NanoFlex in my Inspired by 1964 Texan started to malfunction (loud feedback buzz), I asked the retailer I bought her from to completely replace all the electronics including the built-in preamp, which they did. I got her back working as intended, but in the end I let her go for good. So far, in my view it's only Ovation that got the acoustic/electric right.

Thoughts?

At present, I don't own that model Epi. My wife played one for a while before deciding to let it go. My thought confirms your idea - get a decent soundhole pickup and don't look back.

I also have a Breedlove with a Fishman and it works and sounds fantastic! But only Piezo. I was hoping the mag would add a nice dimension to the overall sound. I have a soundhole pickup I bought in 1983 that sounds great! But it moves around and the cord is in the way, etc.

Archived