Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 Swapping Rotomatics for Keystone

guitom

I have a J-185 on the way and will want to replace the Grover Rotomatics with some keystone tuners on. Are any of the ones available a direct drop in?

Is this what I want: https://www.elderly.com/accessories/instrument-parts-accessories/guitar-parts-accessories/guitar-tuning-pegs-parts/kluson-deluxe-tuning-machines-single-ring-buttons-nickel-plated.htm

thanks.

I have a J-185 on the way and will want to replace the Grover Rotomatics with some keystone tuners on. Are any of the ones available a direct drop in?

Is this what I want: https://www.elderly.com/accessories/instrument-parts-accessories/guitar-parts-accessories/guitar-tuning-pegs-parts/kluson-deluxe-tuning-machines-single-ring-buttons-nickel-plated.htm

thanks.

They'll be fine. If you intend to keep the guitar then drill the extra hole. If not they'll hold fine with the original screw

Buy a set of Grover Keystone machines for an invisible swap. The existing Rotomatic screw hole lines up with the lower Keystone hole and drilling the top one is not really necessary since they are bolted to the headstock anyway. I believe the set you have linked to is a press-in bushing style and the post hole bore in the headstock will be to large. Do no more than very lightly snug the nuts on the front side...........too much will shatter the nitro and you'll have those ugly "eyes" around the posts. G'luck!

Grover 135 Keystones

I did this swap on a Hummingbird a few years back.......it works without modification.

Thanks! This is very helpful. I'll get the Grover 135s AFTER I decide I want to keep it. Great advice about not drilling the second hole right away.

I'll post pics when i do it.

I mistook the Klusons you described for Grover 135s.

Buc is right, they are a straight drop in for the existing Grovers.

I did the same with my Hummingbird pro and it was a really easy job.

Good luck.

Archived