Gibson Brands Forums

Aimee Mann tiny desk

blindboygrunt

She never was Janis Joplin was she really

She's a great vocal tone .

Magnolia soundtrack was a favourite of mine , and I'm not much a fan of many female artists

Yah, "Save Me" is a classic. Even for a misogynist like me. Impossible not to love that song.

I enjoyed that. No screeching guitar licks and no "country boy band" harmonizing. Easy-to-listen-to, and if it's not I won't care to listen. I've heard her before, but it's been 3-4 years ago. Haven't heard her do anything that wasn't real folksy like, so I don't know if she does other styles. The style she does here is pretty sweet for me. I'm more into music like this and Kacey Musgrave's style than loud. Good video. [thumbup]

I take back my original commentary. I listened again. It's beautiful. Perhaps what I heard before as unemotional is just supreme discipline and rehearsed craft; her ensemble is so very tight.

Agreed. Thanks for listening again and for posting your thoughts. Very cool.

I take back my original commentary. I listened again. It's beautiful. Perhaps what I heard before as unemotional is just supreme discipline and rehearsed craft; her ensemble is so very tight.

Your initial impressions that maybe the emperor wasn’t wearing any clothes in this Tiny Desk performance were honest to how you felt at the time, and just as appreciated. How a song hits us at any given time is so variable. She’s so devastating, it’s almost scary.

Also- cool delicate tone extracted out of the piano at 12:19 by Jamie Edwards.

This will be something for red333. I remember joining here long ago and thinking the girl in his avatar was 'her'.

Immediately began flirting with her/him and felt great when 333 answered - what a farce. The pic of course showed A. Mann.

The Tiny-gig is OK with me. This is underplayed music and maybe she even underplays the underplaying.

Admit I could have used a few sparks here and there. Necessity folkies, , , necessity. . .

The nice dusty sounding guitar is a HD-28V. If they hit the original pre-war dreads, , , ? , , , I have A/B'ed on the Tube more than once and have to say, sometimes yes.

Anyway a model that stands in it's own right and I like a lot. In fact added it on the D-28 wiki-page a month ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Aimee borrowed the Martin from her band mate for this performance (probably trying to keep the equipment list down for the Tiny Desk space).

Here she is on Prarie Home Companion yesterday with her J-45.

Red 333

Archived