Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage burst vs. Sunset burst ???

SkyRider

I kind of like all the different bursts, providing it's still got what I see as a traditional tone to it. If it looks cheesy or is too bright, I don't want it. Don't know that I'm a fan of the Cobra burst, but it's all personal taste. I think on guitars like the J45 and AJ, the long-lived two tone burst looks great.

Vintage

DSC_0185_zpsceb93d06.jpg

Sunset

DSC_0184_zpse2d817d8.jpg

Real vintage (1942 guitar)

DSC_0186_zps85228b7a.jpg

So as you can see, the sunset burst is much closer to the real vintage burst, in this case at least.

Note that the sunlight, makes the red in the burst stand out a little extra. I like that!

Lars

Yes, Lars. And for anyone (me) concerned that a certain quilt maple Hummingbird that they might be looking for is too red, it is good to keep in mind that for those whose natural haunt for guitar playing is more likely to be at nighttime, the guitar with the burst that appears to be too red in daylight, might be just right at night. Ah, the Purkinje effect.

Yes, Lars. And for anyone (me) concerned that a certain quilt maple Hummingbird that they might be looking for is too red, it is good to keep in mind that for those whose natural haunt for guitar playing is more likely to be at nighttime, the guitar with the burst that appears to be too red in daylight, might be just right at night. Ah, the Purkinje effect.

That effect was interesting. Thanks for posting the link. With young kids around I rarely play before the sun is down, so I don't see these bursts at their most glorious a lot. I love the touch of red in these. However, I don't care much for some of the purple/pink Hummingbirds I have seen. My all time favorite Humminbird color is the beautiful soft honey color of the current Standard. Just right!

Lars

I voted for the the sunset but i really do like both.

Would do the same, but can't vote as it depends on the guitar.

Isn't the difference a splash of red on the sunsets?

In between the dark and the light?

Those that has the red touch and go all the way to black are also known as tri-bursts.

Really dig the sunsets - yet couldn't live without the straight old sunburst seen on my avatar.

Here's a pretty good ex of the first - click on the pic and it'll grow huge.

http://c1.zzounds.co...b8a37e27fd7.jpg

Lars, your slopes - especially the '42 - are stunners

I have both but I prefer the tri-burst or sunset.

My J45 Custom is a traditional burst my Fullers Vintage J45 is a tri-burst and my J 45 purevoice is Montana Sunset.

IMG_2977_zps9n5k7x7o.jpg

It seems to me the red in a burst adds a little at least to my eyes. Really it's all about "bursts" and Gibson offers one for every one. That's a good thing imo.

Essentially, if you're a burst lover, there's not a "bad" one to be had. I prefer cherrybursts be limited to appropriate years/models - once saw a really sweet L-00 that had been redone in cherry (WRONG!) - but otherwise it's all good☺

Archived