Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Advice

IanHenry

I'm looking for a pedal that I can use to add sustain to a clean guitar sound. I know very little about effects pedals because I've never used them (I have an Overdrive and a Wah-Wah but I've never found the need to use them). Is a Compressor what I need? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I've no idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Ian

I'm looking for a pedal that I can use to add sustain to a clean guitar sound. I know very little about effects pedals because I've never used them (I have an Overdrive and a Wah-Wah but I've never found the need to use them). Is a Compressor what I need? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I've no idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Ian

Compressor. There are different types of compressors, the most popular is the Dyna Comp and variations of it. My favorite variation of the Dyna Comp is the Janglebox

The Dyna Comp ones will all "color" your sound, if you want a really "transparent" compressor to add sustain with out much change in the sound, the Diamond Compressor is a really good one for that

Compression might work for some, but I would beg to differ. I have a multi-effects pedal that has a compressor as one component and here is what they have to say about it.

"Compressor is effective for guitar since it smooths out peaks and valley in the sound. It squashes the dynamic range of the signal making loud signals softer and softer signals louder. Normally the Compressor limits signals of widely varying loudness to a dynamic range more suitable for use with other effects."

There are 3 elements to the compressor:

SENSE - which determines the level of compression. Compression is applied to signal levels above the Sense point, while signals below this point are unaffected. Minimum setting allows the entire signal to pass without being compressed, maximum setting applies compression to the entire signal.

ATTACK - determines the amount of time it takes for compression to begin after an input signal is detected. Longer attack times let through more of the natural attack of the signal.

OUTPUT - determines the level of the Compressor sound. Higher settings are used for boosting the overall signal to an appropriate level, since compression effectively lowers the level of sound.

I don't normally use compressor by itself, but use it to compress the signal before a Chorus or Pitch Shift effect. I might use it alone to get a more muffled Jazz box tone when not playing a jazz guitar. Generally I wouldn't think that the nature of compression would increase sustain of a clean signal. If more sustain was my objective I suppose I would try a low sense setting to allow the most original signal to pass, a long attack to allow more natural signal to get through the compressor, and a high output to boost the signal and by that time I'm not sure you would get any more sustain than if you didn't use it all.

I may be 100% wrong, as I said I don't use it by itself alone, but not sure it's really set up to increase sustain. My device is 22 years old, so maybe "Compressors" have changed in that time, but I would take the guitar in question to a shop and try a compressor to see if it will accomplish what you want or make sure any internet purchase is returnable. Sorry to muddy the waters.

Twang, a dedicated compressor may make a differences verses the integrated ones in the "Multi" units. I had a few different ones of those in the past, and I can say that in my case, I noticed quite a bit of difference in how the signal was able to be optimized with a standalone compressor. I don't know if that is true for all, or more modern units.

I find them to be really helpful with an acoustic, which can get a bit brash when using a pick for fast strumming numbers, and also helps quite a lot with finger picking.

For an Electric rig, you'll notice it mostly on cleaner tones than on over driven tones, since there's going to be some compression naturally added with the over drive settings anyway.

The better ones are the more transparent, where the tone is not affected, but the notes will tend to "dangle" just a little bit more. It's also very easy to over use these. So once you settle on one, some time is usually well spent to find the sweet spots.

If the options presented so far seem overwhelming maybe this will help

So far we have recommended 3 compressors that fall into the Dyna Comp category, those would be the Janglebox, Route 66, and Keeley. All of these three are essentially the same and the compression aspect of them is basically the same. The differences are that the Janglebox, Route 66, and Keeley give you some small extra "tone shaping" options

The Hypergravity and whatever multieffects unit Twang is using are obviously digital. The Hypergravity is cool because you can download different sounds.

The other main category is optical compression. The Diamond compressor that I recommended is probably the best optical compressor in pedal form. The optical compressors tend to be for someone that wants a more "transparent" sound compared to the ubiquitous Dyna Comp style circuits. The Empress Compressor is absolutely top of the line amazing quality for someone looking for a "transparent" compressor

The Hypergravity and whatever multieffects unit Twang is using are obviously digital. The Hypergravity is cool because you can download different sounds.

Yes mine is all digital and like I said it is 22 years old. It is incorporated into a Yamaha GW10 Guitar Performance Effector. It also has Distortion/Overdrive, Noise Gate, Chorus, Digital Delay, Pitch Shift, Wah-wah, 3 Band EQ, Volume Pedal, and Amp simulator. It is very useful, in fact when performing live my band does not use amplifiers (electronic drums) I just run through this Yamaha into the PA along with everything else. However it takes a long time working with it to get the sounds you want and they are digital signals which I am not that big a fan of.

I'm sure you guys know your gear - it's just when I think of increasing sustain I wouldn't go to my Compressor for that. I know there are a lot of rack compressors as well as pedals so many options to explore.

Thanks for all your reply's, it's certainly a lot to think about. I'm guessing I'm going to have to try a few. It's only for an odd song that I need it so I'm not sure how much I want to spend on one.

Thanks,

Ian

Thanks for all your reply's, it's certainly a lot to think about. I'm guessing I'm going to have to try a few. It's only for an odd song that I need it so I'm not sure how much I want to spend on one.

Thanks,

Ian

In that case I think that TC Hypergravity is a great choice because it's versatile and relatively inexpensive

You didn't mention your amp set up. The reason that is important is that a boost (even a "clean" one) will overdrive the front end of a tube amp and add gain. This will happen even in some of the more modern solid state amps with front ends designed to mimic tube amp response.

But it seems like a compressor is what you need. The MXR DynaComp is a great place to start and the can be had for about $50. You want to point the two knobs at each other - 3:00 and 9:00 respectively - as a starting point. That's the sweet spot on those. If you are not sure a compressor will do what you need this is the place to start.

If cost is not an huge option, my new favorite compressor is the is the Origin Effects Slide Rig. It is meant to mimic two Universal Audio 1176 compressors in series, which was the slide guitar sound of Lowell George of Little Feat. It's not just for slide, however, and I use it for all of my compression duties live. I can get tons of clean sustain and volume without added gain from it.

https://origineffects.com/product/sliderig-compact/

They run about 299 - 399 USD depending on which one you choose. I have the Compact version

bkszosvhz75nbyzakh0c.jpg

.....my new favorite compressor is the is the Origin Effects Slide Rig. It is meant to mimic two Universal Audio 1176 compressors in series, which was the slide guitar sound of Lowell George of Little Feat. It's not just for slide, however, and I use it for all of my compression duties live. I can get tons of clean sustain and volume without added gain from it.

https://origineffects.com/product/sliderig-compact/

GAS! Got to get one of these......

Thankyou Surf.... [smile]

Archived