Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton with Coil Tap

Mysterblues

Hi all! Just thought I would share- I installed a Lollar Low Wind Imperial on the neck position on my Sheraton and WOW! Not only does the pickup sound great as a humbucker, I am blown away by the Strat like tones as a single!!! And no single coil noise!

Anyone else do these mods?

<br>Hi all! Just thought I would share- I installed a Lollar Low Wind Imperial on the neck position on my Sheraton and WOW! Not only does the pickup sound great as a humbucker, I am blown away by the Strat like tones as a single!!! And no single coil noise!<br>Anyone else do these mods?<br>
That's the first I've heard of a split having an even halfway decent "strat" sound. I've yet to hear one myself, congrats. Imperials have a good (and pricey) reputation. Every git I own or have played with split pups sounds like crap in the single coil mode, so I have a strat when I want a strat, it's cheaper than yanking pups, and a 100% reliable strat sound.

That's the first I've heard of a split having an even halfway decent "strat" sound. I've yet to hear one myself, congrats. Imperials have a good (and pricey) reputation. Every git I own or have played with split pups sounds like crap in the single coil mode, so I have a strat when I want a strat, it's cheaper than yanking pups, and a 100% reliable strat sound.

same experience here, but I'm using a stock Sherry Pro II w/stock pickups (pretty good considering.) but that said, I'm pretty sure a set of classic 57s would kill in that guitar. I'd loose the push/pull coil split if I was ever to replace the stock probuckers.

I have no experience with a coil tap in the past,(I have been playing for 40 years). I too, have a single coil guitar, but I like HB's generally. I swear it really competes with a fender tone in split mode! At some point when I figure out how to share a sound clip/vid I will!

The Lollar pups are a little pricey, not the highest, but certainly not the cheapest. I went with the Lollar mainly because of the more than well documented examples of intergrity and pride in their product. Jason Lollar and his crew really put their hearts into their products. I even had a conversation with the person who made my exact pickup and she talked about it like a family member, and treated me that way too!

In comparison to the 57 classics (which I have used in the past and are indeed great pups), the Low Wind pickups are much more transparent; you can really hear the woodiness of the guitar now. You can really feel and hear the acoustic qualities that were non-existent with the stock ones. Hotter wound pickups tend to hide the true sound of a guitar, IMO. But a lot of people like that, too, I suppose. It's a preference thing. I would by another Lollar in a heartbeat. I really dig the Ant's, too. a little less money for a similar sound. But the Duncan's sound much more mass produced as far as tech pride.

Archived