• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is there any truth to this?

#41 User is offline   pippy 

• Group: Members
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

View Postcharlie brown, on 16 May 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

NONE of them are truly "Historically Accurate," as they aren't using OLD original woods, Rosewood or otherwise, because they can't get them!...

Well, I did use the phrase "looking and playing as close as possible" as far as the regular R-Is are concerned and if you think they can't still get things wonky you should have a look at the lower-edge peghead outline of my R0...

Posted Image

Seriously, though; I, like a few others here, have mentioned before how sublime have been the Colector's Choice instruments we have been fortunate enough to play. If many more man-hours - and subsequent increased costs - are required to create that supremely high quality of instrument as consistently as the CC seem to be able to produce then it's worth it over the regular USA-line Les Paul for those with the means.

I know the audience couldn't tell one way or another but that's not the point of the CC nor of the True Historics nor even of the regular R-Is; the point is solely appreciated by the owners.
It really is as simple as that.

Pip.

#42 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

View Postpippy, on 16 May 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

Well, I did use the phrase "looking and playing as close as possible" as far as the regular R-Is are concerned and if you think they can't still get things wonky you should have a look at the lower-edge peghead outline of my R0...

Posted Image

Seriously, though; I, like a few others here, have mentioned before how sublime have been the Colector's Choice instruments we have been fortunate enough to play. If many more man-hours - and subsequent increased costs - are required to create that supremely high quality of instrument as consistently as the CC seem to be able to produce then it's worth it over the regular USA-line Les Paul for those with the means.

I know the audience couldn't tell one way or another but that's not the point of the CC nor of the True Historics nor even of the regular R-Is; the point is solely appreciated by the owners.
It really is as simple as that.

Pip.

Agreed...I'm just amused, often, at the seemingly endless pontificating, by Gibson and other's on "True Historic" Reissues,
as if they were REAL original Gibson's, that had been locked away, in a vault, for 60-70 years. [flapper] [biggrin]

But, I have NO problem, really, with those that love the R, Historic, True Historic, and/or CC versions. There will always be
a market for them, I have no doubt. What I'd love to see (and, they're getting closer, all the time), is the regular Gibson USA
models, becoming more like (at least) the "R" series, are/were. To paraphrase the Gibson rep, "WE're not lessing the quality of
the R series, but bringing up the quality and spec's, to the Gibson USA Line." [biggrin] But, keeping in line, the USA pricing!

The Best of Both worlds, for us less "well healed, in that scenario. [biggrin]

But, that's just Me! [tongue] :rolleyes:

CB

#43 User is offline   LarryUK 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

My link
Wildwood have new CS Les Paul's and they aren't an R or 58/9/0. They're just a standard. But $6500?

#44 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostLarryUK, on 19 May 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

My link
Wildwood have new CS Les Paul's and they aren't an R or 58/9/0. They're just a standard. But $6500?

[scared] He!!...Maybe, the CS should just quit F'ng around, and Start At $100,000, and up from there?! (My Sarcasm is showing!! [flapper] ) WTF???

CB

#45 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

My link

No weight relief, plastic non-locking tuners, vintage plastic custom buckers? I don't see anything with this one that's any better than a regular Standard. It MUST be the hide glue that adds $3000.00.

They're beautiful, that's for sure. After playing a R9 and R0, I don't know that I like them that much to pay that much more for them. I didn't think they were any better than my Standard and honestly didn't like the neck as much. It could have just been the two I played. Three thousand dollars worth of hide glue is what you're paying for. [tongue]

#46 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

My link

Actually, Larry, the serials show they are re-issues;

8 7004; 0 7462; 0 7480; 0 7496; 0 7415; 0 7440; 6 7008 indicate R8; R0 (x5); R6.

Pip.

#47 User is offline   LarryUK 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:43 AM

View Postpippy, on 19 May 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Actually, Larry, the serials show they are re-issues;

8 7004; 0 7462; 0 7480; 0 7496; 0 7415; 0 7440; 6 7008 indicate R8; R0 (x5); R6.

Pip.

Yes, but it looks like they're dropping the tags CS, CC and R series.

#48 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostLarryUK, on 20 May 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

Yes, but it looks like they're dropping the tags CS, CC and R series.

Well, not really, Larry.

The 'regular' re-issues never had a CS prefix; none of the guitars in the link are CC models and AFAIK the only year where any RI's carried an ' R' prefix was 2016 and only on the 'Standard Historic' (i.e. non-True-Historic) re-issues. Since the official series of re-issues was started by the Historic Division (nowadays Custom Shop) in 1993 the standard serial numbering system (with the above-mentioned exception) has always been X YZZZ(Z) where X=original year being reissued; Y=last digit of year of manufacture; ZZZ(Z)=number of instrument in run. We players have been referring to R8's, R9's, R0's etc. for over 20 years but (2016 apart) this was never part of their official designation.

The 'Chambered Historic' RI's, though, have a CR prefix.

Some Les Pauls have had a CS prefix, of course, such as after the CS took over production of the 'regular' LP Custom but the Re-Issue LP Custom follows the same numbering system as the rest of the RI's.

Incidentally the numbering system of the RI's can lead to a certain amount of confusion as the same serial might appear on different instruments.As an example; my R9 sports the number 9 3131. This might mean a '59 R-I crafted in either 1993, 2003 or 2013. The only way to know for sure is to compare hardware and detailing which has varied from time to time...

Pip.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users