Gibson Brands Forums

Is there any truth to this?

LarryUK

...If anything, it's the True Historic and Collector's Choice models that are done. Gibson is rumoured to have 500+ 2017 historics just sitting in the factory...

It would be a pity if they stopped doing the TH's and CCs but I've just had a quick google and the current street price of a '59 T-H is around the $9,100 mark. The CC range are (usually) even higher. The Les Paul Traditional, OTOH, is priced at $1,803. Perhaps folks have thought that an upcharge of $7,000+ is just too much to pay for a long neck tenon stuck in place using Hot Hide Glue?....

Whadd'ya'reckon?

Pip.

It would be a pity if they stopped doing the TH's and CCs but I've just had a quick google and the current street price of a '59 T-H is around the $9,100 mark. The CC range are (usually) even higher. The Les Paul Traditional, OTOH, is priced at $1,803. Perhaps folks have thought that an upcharge of $7,000+ is just too much to pay for a long neck tenon stuck in place using Hot Hide Glue?....

Whadd'ya'reckon?

Pip.

Fingers crossed for some kindof blowout prices :)

I've always loved, from afar, the CS stuff...TH, CC or whatever! BUT, the pricing is ridiculous!

Gibson has always been "precious" about it's pricing. But, that stuff is INSANE! [scared]

But, too many items, in our lives, these days, are insanely priced, even beyond inflation costs

and shipping etc.! So...???

IMHO, as always! [biggrin]

CB

There's a review by guitarist magazine of the Mark Knopfler 58 Les Paul reissue (I'd provide a link to the video but it doesn't work properly so you'll have to find it yourself via the link below)

It looks & sounds fantastic but it's over £9300, that's way to much for me to spend on a guitar, but apparently they've all sold so someone's happy to pay those prices.

Ian

It looks & sounds fantastic but it's over £9300...

For our American in-laws that works out at $12,000 here in the UK.

Oddly enough I had a quick search for the '58s - as well as the MK Strat and the MK Martin - the other day after Dave's initial MK post and not one is to be had for a sensible price.

I'd like to emphasise that I'm all for Gibson lavishing as much time and effort as they need to craft these wonderful instruments and clearly - as is shown by the unavailability of the MK '58 - some folks will pay well-over-the-odds for something truly special...but still; if a Les Paul Traditional can be sold profitably for $1,800 or so how can the CS justify a '59 T-H costing over six-times as much? How much extra does it cost to make a tenon longer and a neck pocket deeper? How much more to use Aniline dyes against regular dyes? A non-sheath truss-rod against a sheathed truss-rod? Where does the extra $10,000 go???

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Where does the extra $10,000 go???

it amazes me why people don't understand what the extra money buys you. it's very simple. it buys you exclusivity. something so obvious and yet so many refuse to see it. do we not like looking at that aspect of human nature? it is what it is. spending a grandiose amount of money on a toy tells someone they're better than everyone else who isn't able to throw that kind of money away on hobbies. you all already know it's not a better guitar in any way one can tangibly measure. you all already know they are not seen on stadium stages played by guitar gods. they are not demanded in recording studios for their amazing tonal purity. they are purchased by "collectors". except as an investment they're crap too. there are way better ways to make your money work for you.

it's solely for guys who want to buy something that says "i'm better than you, because i have so much money i can afford to waste it."

Hmm. Well, I hope it's not true because I'd like to have one, and I'm not ready to buy one now. I have been shopping around the new R-I market these days and it seems there are A LOT of '14, '15 and '16 models still out there (new) that haven't been snatched up yet. Did Gibson overestimate the market for these?? Maybe they want to start the rumor that they're being discontinued to create a buying frenzy and clear out old stock... Who knows. I will agree that they seem overpriced for the actual cost of the "upgrades". But, they sure are nice.

Who cares? They and the people that need them are of no interest to me. Making a sundry, garden variety, run-of-the-mill Les Paul sound good is about year 2, 3 maybe. If you need all that nonsense I ain't got time.

rct

Ever thought that the sales of these expensive models may assist in helping cover overhead and support pricing on other models or bankrolling development and risk costs of some of the cheaper models they have been bringing to market in recent years?

Ever thought that the sales of these expensive models may assist in helping cover overhead and support pricing on other models or bankrolling development and risk costs of some of the cheaper models they have been bringing to market in recent years?

The exact opposite is how American business works. The low end props up and supports the high end. Several thousand guitars at 5 or 600 over cost keeps the lights on for a couple hundred at 1 or 1500 over cost. Loss leaders, they don't advertise much, don't shove as hard, limit distribution. Like Glamour Publishing almost.

rct

Well, with hundreds of past year overstock, that idea probably didn't work out, so well? I think the Corporation makes plenty

of money, with all their diversification. The CS stuff, especially the hard core "True Historic," and limited runs, are (basically)

for a niche market, of well healed "cork sniffers!" Hey, I wouldn't mind being a "well healed cork sniffer," myself! [biggrin] But, that's

probably not going to happen at this late stage. [tongue] And, that's OK! [biggrin] I hope Gibson CS will sell all the surplus

stock, and continue to offer those models, for those that really want, and can afford them! [thumbup]

CB

The exact opposite is how American business works. The low end props up and supports the high end. Several thousand guitars at 5 or 600 over cost keeps the lights on for a couple hundred at 1 or 1500 over cost...

Well, with hundreds of past year overstock...

Houston,...

[laugh]

The most I have EVER paid for a six-string guitar was $1900 years ago for a secondhand ES-335, and it pained me grievously at the time to part with that much... I don't know how people fork over the crazy prices I see for guitars and amps nowadays.

HIDE GLUE you say...

Cant help myself :)

As a Spanish speaker, that was the most hysterical video!

Nothing to do with the topic, but thanks [flapper]

Also I concur with American Cheez. I can hear the difference between a handwired amp and its regular counterpart, but at some point, people pay to say, "take a look at THIS beauty." Its not like, "Here is my Ferrari and it is faster than your Honda." Its more like, "This toilet is made of marble, and its got a gold flusher and inside the little chain is gold too..."

As to the tweet - lot of blather about nothing. I wouldn't be too concerned, seems Gibson stops production of models all the time. It doesn't mean they won't start up again later if there is demand.

I recall seeing some videos from the last NAMM show, and all Gibson was showing were Historics, many models, and many finishes per model. They are probably just overstocked with them now as in the mean time they didn't stop making less expensive models which continued to sell at the usual rate. They probably just overshot how many of the super expensive guitars they could move so will stop making them until they have cleaned out inventory some.

Ok lets try and get some more official info...

Check this vid... What I get from that is that they are stopping general production and re naming them to Historic re-issue and making the Historic re-issue the standard... But he also says that they wont be on the price list so im assuming they will only make them to order for the moment. Watch from about 2:20 if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Hes not exactly straight with his answers so make of it what you will.

Hide glue [rolleyes] :)

Archived