Gibson Brands Forums

Is there any truth to this?

LarryUK

HIDE GLUE you say...

Cant help myself :)

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. I really got a good, hard laugh from it. msp_biggrin.gif

The thing is, it's true, the R-I's are way overpriced for what they are. But, people seem to want them. If they were all the same price as a Standard or, god forbid, a studio msp_w00t.gif everyone would have one and the shelves would be packed with studios and standards they can't sell and the custom shop would be overwhelmed.

I have a new limited edition LP that I love, it's great. But, I just got done playing my tribute T gold top which left me with a smile. msp_smile.gif

Wow. That's the longest splurge of bull**it I've ever heard. What was True Historic is now normal? But you can pay through the nose for someone to apply more bs. A top/neck etc have to be glued, so the glue you use is irrelevant. The plastics are plastic. That's that and now you can pay to have the grain straighter? ](*,)[confused] [confused]

If they were all the same price as a Standard or, god forbid, a studio msp_w00t.gif everyone would have one and the shelves would be packed with studios and standards they can't sell and the custom shop would be overwhelmed.

but then they wouldn't be custom anymore, would they? they'd almost be regulars [laugh]

So pray tell..

What are they actually talking about ?

He is a cook in a restaurant it seems and he had just gotten out of the shower hair all messy in flip flops and his superior was asking that he get on with it and bring out the paella, but the joke is that he is finding himself more amusing than the story itself. That or I am missing some innuendo about the tide rising on the beach where he was to serve the paella. Its his laugh that's made me lmao

Even after watching the video, I'm still not sure what they're doing. The hide glue guy video was funnier.

It sounded like they'll still be available but they're calling them something else and they're made to order. I used to think that's exactly what the Custom Shop guitars were. It doesn't make sense to be making a lot of high end guitars and have them sit on a shelf because some people would have to get a 5 year loan just to pay for them.

but then they wouldn't be custom anymore, would they? they'd almost be regulars [laugh]

Yeah, that was kind of my point although, not so clearly stated.

Here's what I would do. I would make a new line, not from the custom shop but from Gibson USA. I'd call it the "VL" series for "Vintage look". Forget the glue, the plastic, blah blah blah. Just keep the deep set neck, vintage looking finish, ABR bridge and nicer tops. Price them maybe just a little more than a standard (which is still an expensive guitar).

Then Keep the Custom shop doing things that are really custom like artist editions, the silly aged thing, special magic plastic and glue with eye of newt, toe of frog and that sort of thing.

Then everyone would be happy, or at least happier. Except for the newts, frogs and hide donors, of course.

I thought, after seeing that, they were going back to how one used to order "Custom made" (True Historics, etc.) guitars,

way back when. More on a pre-order "case by case basis," instead of having a bunch made, and hoping they'll sell? But,

maybe they'll do limited runs like that, for those that will only buy "Custom Shop" versions? Who knows? And, the regular

"Historic's" will now have the TH build quality, parts, but not quite the personal spec's that the custom order TH will have.

Then again, it may be just "Marketing" that changes, a bit! They do SO like to keep us guessing, and (often times) confused! [biggrin][flapper]

CB

...They do SO like to keep us guessing, and (often times) confused...

One might almost say we are Dazed and Confused...

My understanding of what the guy was trying to say was that the next incarnation of the regular R-I's will feature some of the stuff currently on the T-Hs and the next series of T-Hs will be more like a made-to-measure idea on a one-off customer order basis as regards tops, backs, necks and so on goes.

This seems a sensible approach to me; the regular R-Is are closer to being 'accurate' and the really-silly-money guitars are only made when they are specially ordered.

Pip.

This seems a sensible approach to me; the regular R-Is are closer to being 'accurate'

Jesus, how long does it take to "accurate"(ly) reproduce your own property? These things have been getting ever more "accurate" since they started!

No offense to anyone that uses them but christ, how long am I supposed to believe they just can't get that last smidgeon of tenon figured out?

rct

...how long am I supposed to believe they just can't get that last smidgeon of tenon figured out?...

Oh, I think everyone knows they are just going to milk this as much as they feel they can.

As far as the Forthcoming Really Truly Madly Deeply Historics go it's all down to how much importance prospective buyers put on 'molecular level' plastics and the like.

I'm not likely to be in their number but I have no beef with those who appreciate such attention to detail. And it must be enjoyable for those craftsmen involved to be building guitars like this for those with the inclination.

The 'regular' R-I's? That's a slightly different matter IMO. I don't give a rat's fart about the composition of the plastics nor whether the lower surface of the legs of the PAF's have the 'L' shaped tooling mark but I do like to see them get the things looking and playing as close as possible to the real-deal.

Pip.

Oh, I think everyone knows they are just going to milk this as much as they feel they can.

As far as the Forthcoming Really Truly Madly Deeply Historics go it's all down to how much importance prospective buyers put on 'molecular level' plastics and the like.

I'm not likely to be in their number but I have no beef with those who 'appreciate' such attention to detail. And it must be enjoyable for those craftsmen building guitars like this for those with the inclination.

The 'regular' R-I's? That's a slightly different matter IMO. I don't give a rat's fart about the composition of the plastics nor whether the lower surface of the legs of the PAF's have the 'L' shaped tooling mark but I do like to see them get the things looking and playing as close as possible to the real-deal.

Pip.

NONE of them are truly "Historically Accurate," as they aren't using OLD original woods, Rosewood or otherwise, because they can't

get them! And, too much CNC, to be THAT "Historically Accurate" with all the wonky things, the originals are known to have, good or

bad. They're just R-I's with more personal attention! IMHO. [flapper][biggrin] Maybe Gibson

needs to adjust the "R-I" to mean "Re-interpretation" rather than Re-Issue? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

NONE of them are truly "Historically Accurate," as they aren't using OLD original woods, Rosewood or otherwise, because they can't get them!...

Well, I did use the phrase "looking and playing as close as possible" as far as the regular R-Is are concerned and if you think they can't still get things wonky you should have a look at the lower-edge peghead outline of my R0...

msp_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though; I, like a few others here, have mentioned before how sublime have been the Colector's Choice instruments we have been fortunate enough to play. If many more man-hours - and subsequent increased costs - are required to create that supremely high quality of instrument as consistently as the CC seem to be able to produce then it's worth it over the regular USA-line Les Paul for those with the means.

I know the audience couldn't tell one way or another but that's not the point of the CC nor of the True Historics nor even of the regular R-Is; the point is solely appreciated by the owners.

It really is as simple as that.

Pip.

Well, I did use the phrase "looking and playing as close as possible" as far as the regular R-Is are concerned and if you think they can't still get things wonky you should have a look at the lower-edge peghead outline of my R0...

msp_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though; I, like a few others here, have mentioned before how sublime have been the Colector's Choice instruments we have been fortunate enough to play. If many more man-hours - and subsequent increased costs - are required to create that supremely high quality of instrument as consistently as the CC seem to be able to produce then it's worth it over the regular USA-line Les Paul for those with the means.

I know the audience couldn't tell one way or another but that's not the point of the CC nor of the True Historics nor even of the regular R-Is; the point is solely appreciated by the owners.

It really is as simple as that.

Pip.

Agreed...I'm just amused, often, at the seemingly endless pontificating, by Gibson and other's on "True Historic" Reissues,

as if they were REAL original Gibson's, that had been locked away, in a vault, for 60-70 years. [flapper][biggrin]

But, I have NO problem, really, with those that love the R, Historic, True Historic, and/or CC versions. There will always be

a market for them, I have no doubt. What I'd love to see (and, they're getting closer, all the time), is the regular Gibson USA

models, becoming more like (at least) the "R" series, are/were. To paraphrase the Gibson rep, "WE're not lessing the quality of

the R series, but bringing up the quality and spec's, to the Gibson USA Line." [biggrin] But, keeping in line, the USA pricing!

The Best of Both worlds, for us less "well healed, in that scenario. [biggrin]

But, that's just Me! [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

My link

Wildwood have new CS Les Paul's and they aren't an R or 58/9/0. They're just a standard. But $6500?

No weight relief, plastic non-locking tuners, vintage plastic custom buckers? I don't see anything with this one that's any better than a regular Standard. It MUST be the hide glue that adds $3000.00.

They're beautiful, that's for sure. After playing a R9 and R0, I don't know that I like them that much to pay that much more for them. I didn't think they were any better than my Standard and honestly didn't like the neck as much. It could have just been the two I played. Three thousand dollars worth of hide glue is what you're paying for. [tongue]

My link

Wildwood have new CS Les Paul's and they aren't an R or 58/9/0. They're just a standard. But $6500?

Actually, Larry, the serials show they are re-issues;

8 7004; 0 7462; 0 7480; 0 7496; 0 7415; 0 7440; 6 7008 indicate R8; R0 (x5); R6.

Pip.

Actually, Larry, the serials show they are re-issues;

8 7004; 0 7462; 0 7480; 0 7496; 0 7415; 0 7440; 6 7008 indicate R8; R0 (x5); R6.

Pip.

Yes, but it looks like they're dropping the tags CS, CC and R series.

Yes, but it looks like they're dropping the tags CS, CC and R series.

Well, not really, Larry.

The 'regular' re-issues never had a CS prefix; none of the guitars in the link are CC models and AFAIK the only year where any RI's carried an ' R' prefix was 2016 and only on the 'Standard Historic' (i.e. non-True-Historic) re-issues. Since the official series of re-issues was started by the Historic Division (nowadays Custom Shop) in 1993 the standard serial numbering system (with the above-mentioned exception) has always been X YZZZ(Z) where X=original year being reissued; Y=last digit of year of manufacture; ZZZ(Z)=number of instrument in run. We players have been referring to R8's, R9's, R0's etc. for over 20 years but (2016 apart) this was never part of their official designation.

The 'Chambered Historic' RI's, though, have a CR prefix.

Some Les Pauls have had a CS prefix, of course, such as after the CS took over production of the 'regular' LP Custom but the Re-Issue LP Custom follows the same numbering system as the rest of the RI's.

Incidentally the numbering system of the RI's can lead to a certain amount of confusion as the same serial might appear on different instruments.As an example; my R9 sports the number 9 3131. This might mean a '59 R-I crafted in either 1993, 2003 or 2013. The only way to know for sure is to compare hardware and detailing which has varied from time to time...

Pip.

Archived