Gibson Brands Forums

Harlan Alive

Buc McMaster

Started singing on this one yesterday after binge-watching four seasons of the FX series Justified.........highly recommended, by the way. First heard this one on the Mountain Soul release by Patti Loveless. Still wondering on the arrangement and getting comfortable with the lyric and delivery but it's coming along pretty well. Longer than most tunes I do......more fiddling with the arrangement required.

For those that like to keep track of such things: J-45 Vintage with DR Sunbeam .012s tuned down half step, capo-ed at the 4th; Blue Chip TP50 pick; recorded into iMovie with ETL Edwina plugged into the Schertler David Deluxe combo, Blue Yeti mic about 12" off speaker

You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive ......on Vimeo

Hurl fruits and vegetables of your choice........I like both!

After a few months of trying to re-establish my YouTube account I was finally able to get a new one up and running......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VyBFMUzWg

Probably my favorite song that you've sung. Fantastic. I may steal that one too...

Why tune down a half step and capo at 4? Why not tune regular way and capo 5? School me, Mr. Master

Great question, Sal, I will track the post for a response.

Probably my favorite song that you've sung. Fantastic. I may steal that one too...

Why tune down a half step and capo at 4? Why not tune regular way and capo 3? School me Mr. Master

Glad to see you fix that. You were messin' with my head.

Buc may normally just tune down half a step. I leave my old J-45 tuned down a half. Changes the character quite a bit.

Why tune down a half step and capo at 4? Why not tune regular way and capo 3? School me Mr. Master

Both the J-45 and the Hummingbird are tuned down a half step as a matter of course. There are three or four songs that work better vocally for me there but mostly I do it for the way the guitar feels in this tuning..........just feels better under the fingers. As for the capo placement, that's a matter of finding a comfortable key to sing in. The chords I found for this tune were in Em and that certainly didn't work for me at all. Ended up at the fourth using the Am chord shape to play it in Cm.

Oh you go right ahead and steal it, Sal...........and give us a video.......please!!

Thanks for listening!

I second Sals... Probably one if not the best recording of yours i've came accross.

Great dry sound you pull out this J45 and voice was awesome.

Great dry sound you pull out this J45 and voice was awesome.

Thanks, Mafy. That solid dry tone is exactly what I'm shooting for. The Edwina mic really captures what the guitar sounds like "live" and I am most pleased with the tonal results. Thank you.

That one is right in your wheelhouse.

Yes sir. A large part of good performance is choosing songs that are, as you say, "right in the wheelhouse" stylistically and vocally. There are many songs I really like that I reject because I can't make them work for me. Finding the wheelhouse es muy importante.

Thanks guys for taking the time!

Archived