Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

Got this Lovely Epi Guitar, from Sweetwater! Nice looking, awesome sounding (USA P-90's), and a nice FAT neck!

(The fat '50's neck profile takes a bit of getting used to (all my other guitars are '60's profile), but

it's NOT uncomfortable, at all...just "unusual," for Me!) [biggrin]

Here's the spec's, on the Epiphone Site! http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

DSC_8160_zpsv4fejcx6.jpg

DSC_8161_zpscevuxxx4.jpg

Always wanted a P-90 LP Custom, but the Gibson's are TOO expensive, these days...unjustifiably so, for ME!

So, this little Epiphone, with USA P-90's and a real Ebony fingerboard, will do just fine! [thumbup]

At least Until, I win some huge "Lottery!" [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Thanks guys! It sounds GREAT! (I LOVE P-90's, anyway) It's nice looking, well built-good fit and finish,

etc. I MAY, at some future point, exchange the neck P-90, for a SD "Staple" P-90, only to add to the authenticity

of '55 spec's. There's NOTHING wrong, with the current Gibson USA neck P-90. I've just always liked the look of

the original "Staple" P-90, on the Gibson version. That's all. [biggrin]

Oh...the "horn taper" is as it should be! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

nice score CB, Like the looks of that

enjoy the palyin!

what case is that? it looks "aftermarket", that's not an Epi case is it?

Thanks, kidblast! [biggrin] I don't think Epiphone "makes" any of their cases, per se.

But, this does say "Epiphone" on the outside, in black stencil. I'm sure it's probably

just a contracted case, like all the others. It's no "Lifton" case, but it's nice, and

(sorta) has that "Vibe!"

CB

Thanks, kidblast! [biggrin] I don't think Epiphone "makes" any of their cases, per se.

But, this does say "Epiphone" on the outside, in black stencil. I'm sure it's probably

just a contracted case, like all the others. It's no "Lifton" case, but it's nice, and

(sorta) has that "Vibe!"

CB

yea, that's what I was asking, was it a "Epi" Branded case. never seen a brown / pink one b4!

Man, I just keep coming back to this thread over and over - I can't believe how damn good that thing looks!

You've got great taste in guitars CB!

[biggrin] Well, Thanks, paradigm! My very first "Les Paul," was a (Gibson) Custom, in '68. (Seen

Below, with my first ever Ric 12-string, and my "bedroom amp" (Marshall Major, full stack))

Back when they were only "reasonably" expensive, for the time, instead of ridiculously so. Wish I

still had it! [crying] But, sold it, and every other guitar I owned, when I stopped playing, for

30 years, in '72-3. [tongue][rolleyes]

"C'est La Vie!"

Later Summer, 1969 (Age 19)

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

[biggrin] Well, Thanks, paradigm! My very first "Les Paul," was a (Gibson) Custom, in '68. (Seen

Below, with my first ever Ric 12-string, and my "bedroom amp" (Marshall Major, full stack))

Back when they were only "reasonably" expensive, for the time, instead of ridiculously so. Wish I

still had it! [crying] But, sold it, and every other guitar I owned, when I stopped playing, for

30 years, in '72-3. [tongue][rolleyes]

"C'est La Vie!"

Later Summer, 1969 (Age 19)

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

That's Really Sweet! Love the case

I suppose my question would be

did the Gibson Custom Les Paul cost in 1968

what the new Epiphone Custom cost these days?

$799 or in that ball park?

That's Really Sweet! Love the case

I suppose my question would be

did the Gibson Custom Les Paul cost in 1968

what the new Epiphone Custom cost these days?

$799 or in that ball park?

That's right! [thumbup] Another reason I should have kept all that gear.

But, at the time, I needed money for University, and camera gear! So...

"C'est La Vie!"

CB

Wow. Beautiful looking guitar! That be some tasty ebony.

Me, I can't get used to the baseball bat necks, though. But that's just me.

Well, I usually have '60's neck profiles (or very similar), as well. BUT,

I do have a Gibson "Lucille' that has quite a "beefy" neck, so this one feels

very similar to that. So, I don't really have a problem, with the girth!

And, of course, the more I play it, the more familiar it feels. [biggrin]

CB

Just changed the stock strings (10-46) to my preferred D'Addario 125's (9-46),

and that was the final "icing"...it's WAY playable, now! Odd, that the neck

doesn't feel nearly as "fat" now. LOL Funny, how the little things, can make

such a difference, huh? [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after some time, now, with this little beast, I like it even more. And, the "Fat" neck

is definitely growing on me. I had an odd (but, predictable) experience going back to one of

my Gibson Les Paul's (2000 "Classic"), and it's '60's profile neck, which felt oddly slimmer,

than I remembered. LOL I have read (here? or some place else) that some feel the '50's fatter

necks support the hand more (filling it more completely) than the '60's profile, and therefor

facilitates less hand cramping, due to the fatter neck. Any thoughts, or experiences, in that

regard?

CB

Archived