Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

charlie brown

Always wanted the Gibson version, but it's priced hopelessly out of my means, and justification.

So, I settled for the Epiphone version, shown below, from Sweetwater! So far, it's seems like

a real "Keeper!" Nice FAT '50's neck, fat but NOT uncomfortable, USA Gibson P-90's, a real

Ebony fingerboard, etc., at a very reasonable price, all things considered. [thumbup]

DSC_8161_zpscevuxxx4.jpg

DSC_8160_zpsv4fejcx6.jpg

Cheers,

CB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swore I'd never get another black guitar, but this...

That matt texture makes all the difference. It's just stunning!

7 ply binding?

Best of all, and an ebony FB.

What is this model called? Is there one with HBs?

Feel free to post more pics CB. :)

I swore I'd never get another black guitar, but this...

That matt texture makes all the difference. It's just stunning!

7 ply binding?

Best of all, and an ebony FB.

What is this model called? Is there one with HBs?

Feel free to post more pics CB. :)

Thanks, M-E...it's called "Inspired by '55 Les Paul Custom Outfit!" It only comes with the Gibson P-90's,

as of yet. And, yes, it has 7-ply binding on the front, and 5-ply on the back!

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

The case is included. It's no "Lifton" case, but it is adequate, and looks the part, anyway. I may, at some point,

replace the neck pickup, with a SD "Staple" P-90, to increase the spec "authenticity!" But, there's no

real hurry, as the stock Gibby neck P-90 is just fine!! [thumbup][biggrin]

There is a Epiphone LP Custom Classic PRO, that has that same "matte" finish, and humbuckers.

But, it has a Rosewood fingerboard.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Custom-Classic-PRO.aspx

Cheers,

CB

You are a bugger, CB.......msp_love.gif........

Yes.......I saw this edition several months back and was salivating back then. You are NOT helping matters!

The '54 (including subsequent R-I's!) has always been the only Custom I've ever really lusted after and, as you say, this gets pretty close for a seriously good price.

Damn!

msp_angry.gif

Play Long and Prosper!

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

You are a bugger, CB.......msp_love.gif........

Yes.......I saw this edition several months back and was salivating back then. You are NOT helping matters!

The '54 (including subsequent R-I's!) has always been the only Custom I've ever really lusted after and, as you say, this gets pretty close for a seriously good price.

Damn!

msp_angry.gif

Play Long and Prosper!

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

LOL... [blush] Sorry about that, Pippy! I too, lusted (still do) for the Gibson version, but THOSE PRICES!!! [scared][woot]

For MUCH, MUCH less, this comes "Close Enough," for me, at this point! IF I ever win a huge lottery, I would also

get the Gibson version! But, until that happens (LOL [flapper][biggrin]), this will DO, quite nicely! And, at that price point, I won't

be timid, or apprehensive, about playing "out" with it, as well. So, all in all, a good purchase, IMHO. [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Always wanted the Gibson version, but it's priced hopelessly out of my means, and justification.

So, I settled for the Epiphone version, shown below, from Sweetwater! So far, it's seems like

a real "Keeper!" Nice FAT '50's neck, fat but NOT uncomfortable, USA Gibson P-90's, a real

Ebony fingerboard, etc., at a very reasonable price, all things considered. [thumbup]

DSC_8161_zpscevuxxx4.jpg

DSC_8160_zpsv4fejcx6.jpg

Cheers,

CB

That is REALLY NICE! Looks way better than any other photos I've seen of that model. Very tempting...

That is REALLY NICE! Looks way better than any other photos I've seen of that model. Very tempting...

Well, Thanks, Black Dog! [biggrin] I think Sweetwater has a few (4) left? At least, as of yesterday.

But, apparently, they have trouble keeping them in stock. My regular, and still favorite dealer, told

me they wouldn't be able to get one, in any decent time frame...something like 2-3 months, from date of

order. So, when I saw Sweetwater had some, I grabbed one...figurative speaking. [biggrin]

As of right now:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EN55EBGH

Cheers,

CB

Odd that Epiphone uses ebony and Gibson can't seeing as how Gibson owns Epiphone.

How does the neck feel and are you going to buff it out a bit?

I suppose it's the regulations, in the USA, that are partially/largely responsible, for that.

And, maybe the trouble Gibson had, with those pesky regulators? [tongue] China, and other

Asian manufacturers, seem to use Ebony, quite regularly.

The neck is a "Fat" '50's profile, as expected. Not uncomfortably so, just "different"

for me, as I'm used to '60's profile necks, mostly. My Gibson Lucille has a pretty

hefty neck profile, so this one feels closer to that! The more I play this guitar, the

better it feels! So, I'm sure it won't be a problem. As to buffing it out? I'm not

sure, yet, what I'll do, if anything? IF I do decide to do that, I'll wait until I get

the SD "Staple" P-90, for the neck position, and do everything at once. [tongue] :)

CB

China, and other

Asian manufacturers, seem to use Ebony, quite regularly.

Man, I love me an ebony fingerboard. Obviously, we still see them on certain electrics, but I sure don't see many on acoustics. I'm not sure what the deal is there....

Man, that's a beauty, Charlie!

Archived