Gibson Brands Forums

Just got home from Barga in Tuscany, Italy.

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Tuscany isn't somewhere I'd have chosen to go, a very good friend was getting married and we needed a break so off we went.

What a lesson. Quite simply the most beautiful place I have ever been. The people are incredible too.

If you ever get a chance to explore Tuscany, even just a bit, take it.

Absolutely exhausted having travelled from Barga to Lucca by local commuter trains, then Lucca to Pisa, again, by local commuter trains, then Pisa to London, all in 12 hours while taking a whirlwind shot out to see the leaning tower, eat Pizza at a pizzaria with a direct view from about 300yds and grab some tacky gifts but still totally buzzing from the experience.

Glad you had a great time, Farns.

We've holiday'd in Tuscany twice; once focussing on Florence and Pisa and the second time we were based in an 'apartment' on a mediaeval-era olive farm near a small village called Poderaccio in the Tuscan hills mid-way between Florence and Siena. Everywhere we went was utterly fabulous and the locals were incredibly friendly. Town-wise Florence is wonderful, of course, but Siena is simply beautiful. The Tuscan landscape has been a magnet for artists for centuries and that's hardly a surprise.

I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Pip.

It sounds like a great place.

I have liked Italy in the past but can't stand pasta. My theory about Italians is the reason why they have such a reputation for being firebrands is because they have to eat repulsive pasta all the time.

But at least on the continent you can get a pizza how it should be done (unlike the junk in the UK).

But at least on the continent you can get a pizza how it should be done (unlike the junk in the UK)...

If you like authentic pizza and ever venture as far south as London SE20 you really should visit this place;

http://www.sicilianart.co.uk/

As well as doing simply fabulous traditional Italian foods many items on the menu consists of dishes prepared using only Sicilian ingredients.

It's situated about 100 metres away from our house. Lucky us!

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Good for you Farns for taking the opportunity

A good friend of ours has been to Italy several times, he is in love with the place.

Tuscany is on our (my wife and I) bucket list.. We wanted to try to go four our 40th, which is this fall.. don't see it happening, but maybe the 45th...

I would love to see other countries. Love pizza too. The only place here that claims to have the original Sicilian pizza is a small Italian family that owns 2 restraints in Omaha. It's called, La Casa Pizza. I've worked with people that claimed to have eaten pizza all over the world while in the military and claim Valentinos is the best ever. I think Val's is terrible so I have let them try La Casa and they absolutely loved it. Now they travel over 40 to 50 miles from Lincoln to Omaha just to eat La Casa Pizza. And they are the only one here that uses Romano cheese.

Archived