Gibson Brands Forums

Tortoise or Tiger?

Buc McMaster

Otay, Spanky...........I can accept that........was just curious. There are things in my life that piss me off for no apparent reason too.

However, I do think the original J-45 model from 1942 sported a tiger guard, but it also had the non-belly rectangular bridge. I've not yet decided to make the swap......might have landed the guard just to set it aside. [biggrin]

I wouldn't try to emulate a war year model Gibson. War year model Gibson's were known to be erratic with Gibson having a shortage of parts and materials, using whatever thin stock of parts/materials/leftovers that had sitting around or could get their hands on to produce guitars. Some may be worth something today, but mainly because they were so scarce and were factory anomolies, though their quality was still Gibson-like. Just something to consider and maybe further research.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Buc, my vote is for the tiger. It will look good once the backing paper is off.

The original J-45s had tortoise guards, when first introduced in 1942. Later, when war shortages hit, Gibson put firestripe guards on J-45s (probably from old stock), but I think it is pretty well established that the original intent was for them to have tortoise guards.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

I like the tiger. It looks quite vivid there but will probably look more subtle once applied. Where did the tiger one come from? I've been thinking about a firestripe for my J15 and imagine this would be the kind of size I'd need. I'm not sure what if any difference there is between firestripe and tigerstripe though...I just like the stripes and the colour of them.

I like the tiger. It looks quite vivid there but will probably look more subtle once applied. Where did the tiger one come from? I've been thinking about a firestripe for my J15 and imagine this would be the kind of size I'd need. I'm not sure what if any difference there is between firestripe and tigerstripe though...I just like the stripes and the colour of them.

Vintage firestripe guards usually look more like stylized wind-blown flames. Modern "firestripe" guards (except for a few custom ones) look more like the stripes of a tiger: extreme contrast, and very "stripey", without much if any subtlety in between. Mind you, a few vintage ones are similar to modern ones.

Archived