Gibson Guitar Board: Do Gibson oil their fretboards at the factory? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Do Gibson oil their fretboards at the factory?

#21 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostPinch, on 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

BBP: thanks!

Kidblast: I know, right? I once had a guitar on a stand for ten years in an apt. that went very cold and dry in the winter. No oil, no humidifier, no... problem!

They say the time you sweat the small stuff is time spent not living... But pop psychologists say a lot of things.

It's funny, though... Maybe I'm projecting, but us guitar folk have more than our fair share of OCD, don't we?

I know Pinch, I will say, you can see what the hydration does to the wood tho. brings up a bit of luster that would otherwise just be sort of a dry looking slab of wood. Does it matter that much? I can't really say one way or another.
/Ray

#22 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Martin uses Dr. Duck's Axe Wax on the fret board but I've got a lifetime supply size bottle of Olde English Lemon Oil so that gets used on all of them.
I hit the fret board every string change or once every six months, whichever comes first. The wood seems to appreciate it.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#23 User is offline   zigzag 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

No message.
"If you don't play 'em, what good are they?" -Mike Campbell

#24 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:27 AM

I oil annually, in the fall or thereabout. Which is why I asked, because if it was oiled at the factory early this year, oiling it again just a few months later would - in my book, YMMV - be overdoing it. The Grenadillo 'board looks drier than rosewood since it's naturally lighter, so I thought I'd ask.

I don't know about the horror stories about frets coming loose from over-oiling, though. I don't think there's much solvent in guitar "lemon" oil (aka mineral oil). Maybe someone used ACTUAL lemon oil. I've just found that once a year appears to be enough. Again, YMMV.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users