Gibson Brands Forums

Plugged in settings

blindboygrunt

Have no clue about PA's and speakers etc

Recently picked up a fishman solostick and am delighted but I'd like to know I'm doing the right things

Googling tells me that i mute the sound source and play as loud as I'm ever going to need to and turn the gain back until it stops peaking (voice and guitar). That's easy , but , (this applies to guitar only really as the voice has more dimensions with proximity etc)having the gain at that level sounds very 'lively' to me and I get a more pleasing tone by reducing the gain back a little more and using the volume to bring it up

...above is all amp references so in reference to the pickups soundhole volume wheel- should I have the guitar volume full , at 3/4's or maybe halfway to get a starting point ?

Will doing one thing rather than the other matter much really ?

I hope you can understand what I'm asking

Many thanks

I partly get it, but its a bit confusing, so ill just share whati do.

I normally place the master volume at 50%, and use that as a foundation, then tweak the vocal / guitar channels until suitable.

In relation to the the volume on the pickup, inside the guitar, i normally go 3/4 full, so i have some wiggles pace if i need some instant adjustment / boost to the volume.

The other thing when I play live is i always turn the midrange ALL the way back on the guitar, to zero. I find this step to be critical to get the most natural sounding acoustic tone. Midrange gain is what makes an acoustic guitar sound the most like an electric, and you dont want that normally.

I agree with what EA said. 75% on the pickup volume is always the sweet spot to my ears. I don't like the idea of running the input gain just short of clipping as you were instructed to do, I like to have the input gain in a nice safe place so I'm not likely to cause clipping when I dig in or use boost. Cutting midrange is key to good acoustic tone, usually 200hz is the lower midrange frequency that makes pickups sound honky so I tend to notch that out.

Playing plugged in is very different to playing acoustically of course and differs with every amp and pickup, so I'd suggest getting a usable tone dialled in and spending more time playing and getting used to the dynamics of the rig than worrying about tweaking too much.

Midrange at zero ? Ok I'll try that later

What you've done is pretty much what I've done apart from the midrange bit.

Good to see you're still kicking around here Aussie.

Jinder you were posting as I was.

Thanks for the advice. Seems I'm doing the right thing then . All good

My amp doesn't have facilities to cut out frequencies like that , but I get what you're saying. it is very different playing electrically. I actually enjoy it a lot with a gentle touch being all is needed

Grunt, I have the same amp.

I keep the sounhole volume in my Baggs pickups at about 8. So, same as you fellas, and for the same reason. It does occur to me though that someone should make volume wheels that go to eleven, because at ten... what're can we go from there? I need these to go to eleven.

Also, I like the gain rolled back, and adjusting with the master. When I get home I will also experiment with rolling back the mids!

Also, when I get back from the west coast I should have a Baggs Venue Di waiting for me. If it works out May sell the Fire Eye. I am going to test it out. Sold the Uke bass. :)

Agree with the others that the gain setting is not a critical setup to have it sitting at the peak threshold. I also agree that around 75/80% volume on the guitar seems optimum for me too

with my loud box artist is set the gain about 4 (almost half way) for my J200, then just of course, use the master volume to get the level where I think I need it. A lot of that I suppose depends on how much out put the pickup has. The Anthem doesn't have a lot of output IME

regarding midrange, and cutting verses pushing it, I agree that cutting the midrange will soften the sound and give a more natural sound for your acoustic, but it will also eliminate the frequencies in your guitar that cut through the crowd noise. so, I'd humbly suggest you need "Some" midrange in your tone setting, but just enough to accomplish getting a slight amount of cut in to your tone. I set mid range at around 3/4, Bass around 6 (just past halfway), treble 4 (just before half way)

does the stick have a phase switch like the loudboxes do?

Agree with the others that the gain setting is not a critical setup to have it sitting at the peak threshold. I also agree that around 75/80% volume on the guitar seems optimum for me too

with my loud box artist is set the gain about 4 (almost half way) for my J200, then just of course, use the master volume to get the level where I think I need it. A lot of that I suppose depends on how much out put the pickup has. The Anthem doesn't have a lot of output IME

regarding midrange, and cutting verses pushing it, I agree that cutting the midrange will soften the sound and give a more natural sound for your acoustic, but it will also eliminate the frequencies in your guitar that cut through the crowd noise. so, I'd humbly suggest you need "Some" midrange in your tone setting, but just enough to accomplish getting a slight amount of cut in to your tone. I set mid range at around 3/4, Bass around 6 (just past halfway), treble 4 (just before half way)

does the stick have a phase switch like the loudboxes do?

That's my settings also. Give or take ...

Cutting the treble seemed more urgent to me than the mids

But I will turn it to zero to hear the outcome

There's a phase switch yes. But doesn't that change all the settings and not just mids ?

yes, definitely.. pushing the treble things out the tone, and makes it a bit to brittle sounding.

There's a phase switch yes. But doesn't that change all the settings and not just mids ?

it does change the over all "tone", I think the idea is it gets set depending on the room conditions mostly.

I guess, for lack of a better way of putting it, changes the coloration/depth of the over all sound.

yes, definitely.. pushing the treble things out the tone, and makes it a bit to brittle sounding.

it does change the over all "tone", I think the idea is it gets set depending on the room conditions mostly.

I guess, for lack of a better way of putting it, changes the coloration/depth of the over all sound.

I heard it do something

Clicked it. Didn't like how it sounded clicked it back again

I heard it do something

Clicked it. Didn't like how it sounded clicked it back again

kind of subtle what that does, but that is the idea.. just chose which of the 2 suits your ears better.

So, Stu.........got the SA220 dialed in? Had one myself some years back and thought it to be a very, very good unit for a solo/duo setup. Plenty of volume and pretty good tone control.....give us a real world review, won't you?

Archived