Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic strings

Richie321

The closest I can think of to this, is the set of 10 Gague (I think they are called Silk and Steel - brand name) that my buddy uses on his Takamine. I think the G though might be wound however. he tried them a few yeas ago and found they worked good for him. he has a very light touch and tends to gravitate towards lighter gauge strings. - it works for him.

While it's a bit of a different setup for what most of use would be accustomed to, I would think if you're plugged in to a sound source, or acoustic amp, it would work just fine. Definitely going to give you faster / easier action if you're looking for that. Unplugged, the lighter strings will not work the top like a set of 12s or 13s would, and would be a bit of a trick for finger picking, (this is just pure physics here), but it's really down to what you're looking for as an individual player.

Give it a try Richie, you may find for your playing, it works great. you can always switch em out in a few days if you're not diggin it.

Pete Riley who plays with Amy Wadge always uses a plain G. Could be worth finding him on Facebook and dropping him a message about what strings he uses.

I've tried it and it's not really for me in terms of tone and feel, but I do wear out a fearsome amount of G strings so it's a consideration for the future.

The closest I can think of to this, is the set of 10 Gague (I think they are called Silk and Steel - brand name) that my buddy uses on his Takamine. I think the G though might be wound however. he tried them a few yeas ago and found they worked good for him. he has a very light touch and tends to gravitate towards lighter gauge strings. - it works for him.

While it's a bit of a different setup for what most of use would be accustomed to, I would think if you're plugged in to a sound source, or acoustic amp, it would work just fine. Definitely going to give you faster / easier action if you're looking for that. Unplugged, the lighter strings will not work the top like a set of 12s or 13s would, and would be a bit of a trick for finger picking, (this is just pure physics here), but it's really down to what you're looking for as an individual player.

Give it a try Richie, you may find for your playing, it works great. you can always switch em out in a few days if you're not diggin it.

Thanks for that

Pete Riley who plays with Amy Wadge always uses a plain G. Could be worth finding him on Facebook and dropping him a message about what strings he uses.

I've tried it and it's not really for me in terms of tone and feel, but I do wear out a fearsome amount of G strings so it's a consideration for the future.

i.ll do that thanks

[/quot whats his profile picture please?? I dont know who im looking for 🤣

What's a "plain third" string and what's the difference between it and a regular (if that's what you'd call it) third string? Seriously, I just use Martin SPs on most everything. Didn't know there was such a thing as a "plain third."

Means it's not wound , like the B and E

What's a "plain third" string and what's the difference between it and a regular (if that's what you'd call it) third string? Seriously, I just use Martin SPs on most everything. Didn't know there was such a thing as a "plain third."

if you just play acoustic Larry, you probably wouldn't ever realize it!

Electric sets have some that have a wound G available, but they are usually not part of the normal/standard set.

For archtops for example, a popular set with 11 or 12 gauge nickle strings would be to add the wound G. Don't bend quite as easy, but for finger style playing on a jazz box, they DO help the feel work a bit better.

Hi has anyone ever tried these 10-52 gauge acoustic eathwood strings with a plain 3rd how do tbey sound and .is there any other string brands for acoustic that use a plain G??

Cheers Richie Uk

I have an acoustic with a standard 12 set, but I replaced the G for a plain 18 and replaced the D for a flatwound. Very practicle to avoid (sometimes unavoidable) string noise. I use this guitar in an acoustic band for steelguitar-like bending on G and B. And some intros sound much better when I have to 'slide' from one position into the next. Overall the guitar sounds quite normal for an acoustic guitar.

Archived