Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup advice

Johnt

Thinking I might amplify my J200-12

What do you think would best bring out the zing of the maple

My HB-12 has A KK which sounds great with the 'hog but ii wonder if there's better for the J200

Your suggestions welcome please

Thanks John

Hi John! My old Leyanda 12er (a beater, to be replaced before too long!! 😉) has a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it which is a really nice zingy pickup for a 12er. I'm not sure I'd want to put all the wiring and gubbins into a J200-12 though. Perhaps a Fishman AG passive undersaddle into a Fire Eye outboard preamp? That would sound great with the K&K too and keep invasive onboard stuff to a minimum, which is currently my mission with my guitars!

Hi John! My old Leyanda 12er (a beater, to be replaced before too long!! 😉) has a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it which is a really nice zingy pickup for a 12er. I'm not sure I'd want to put all the wiring and gubbins into a J200-12 though. Perhaps a Fishman AG passive undersaddle into a Fire Eye outboard preamp? That would sound great with the K&K too and keep invasive onboard stuff to a minimum, which is currently my mission with my guitars!

You are right as ever Phil👏

Wouldn't want to carve it up at all

Was even considering an "in hole" j

Mind you the K&K in the HB is invisible enough

Might just go up to Chandlers

I have two guitars with that Fishman pickup, no complaints at all. The controls discreetly installed inside the sound hole is a nice touch. not a lot of irreversible mods need for these. a bit hard to change the voicing switch if you want to try to change it on the fly, but that in reality that is a set it and forget it thing. (Small body/large body voicing) Battery life is pretty darned good too.

My J200 has an L.R. Baggs Anthem. Real nice sounds from that, I find I'm more apt to be able to go straight into the board/amp with the Anthem. With the Fishman, I tend to lean on a 7 Band EQ to tame the piezo's mid-quack. The anthem install is a bit more involved as it has the saddle element plus a condenser mic that is installed on the bridge plate.

One other observation to offer is is the Anthem seems to need more volume than the Fishman Matrix does. (less out put with the Anthem).. AFAIK this a known issue with the Anthem, but for me, it's not really a problem. I just compensate with more volume on the loudbox or push a little more attenuation on board channel I'm using.

You are right as ever Phil👏

Wouldn't want to carve it up at all

Was even considering an "in hole" j

Mind you the K&K in the HB is invisible enough

Might just go up to Chandlers

I'd be really interested to see how a K&K sounds in a J200, the guitars I've owned with them in (my current '67 J45 and my former D18 and Recordings King RP06) have sounded terrific, just louder and a bit bigger plugged in than they do acoustically, as I'm sure you find with the HB.

An ex bandmate of mine had the active K&K system in a '74 Guild F212 which sounded amazing, we toured that guitar endlessly and it always sounded great, whatever venue we were in and whatever system was in the place!

Rather then fret over which pickup to install, just sell me your Gibson J-200

12 some other string and buy something else with the pickup already installed.

It would make me very happy!

It would make ME pretty miserable 😂

But if you are looking for one I will keep an ear open

Was offered a 94 from Germany a few months ago but I know that sold

BTW have you a pup in your KOA?

Mine is bare and I have to say it's my favourite Gibson

I installed a K & K in my 2007 J 200 TV about a year ago and love the sound! I posted a video on the board a few days ago if you want to hear it. I also installed one in my SC SJ. I've installed LR Baggs Anthem in another SJ and a Lyric in an AJ. I also had a Fishman Aura Elipse in a J 200 Standard. Hands down, the K & K is the best but not the easiest to install!

I installed a K & K in my 2007 J 200 TV about a year ago and love the sound! I posted a video on the board a few days ago if you want to hear it. I also installed one in my SC SJ. I've installed LR Baggs Anthem in another SJ and a Lyric in an AJ. I also had a Fishman Aura Elipse in a J 200 Standard. Hands down, the K & K is the best but not the easiest to install!

You found the anthem easier to install than th kk???

It would make ME pretty miserable 😂

But if you are looking for one I will keep an ear open

Was offered a 94 from Germany a few months ago but I know that sold

BTW have you a pup in your KOA?

Mine is bare and I have to say it's my favourite Gibson

My first question would be which one? I currently have 10....please

don't tell my wife! Most have whatever the factory installed. Three

or four have no pickup. I have never plugged one in so I have no idea

what they sound like amplified. I know they sound terrible when I play

them unplugged but they sure look great.

Archived