Gibson Brands Forums

Advise needed for rosewood cracks on side of LP fretbord

Hello, I bought this 2017 Les Paul Tribute gold top used off craigslist for $500 and I gotta say this plays, feels and sounds great. Possibly better than any other guitar I have had. I own a US Strat, a US Jackson and a faded SG. This is my first Les Paul. Only concern I have is there are 2 spots where there are scratching / cracking on the side of the fret board. If it is only cosmetic I'm fine with it but If it is more serious than that and could lead to bigger issues in the future, I would try to repair it or take it in. So my question is just cosmetic or needs attention? If it needs attention should I use super glue, wood glue and rosewood dust or take it in for something else? Any idea what something like this would cost? I have researched rosewood cracks here and elsewhere but all I found were topics on cracks on the fingerboard itself not the sides like this. Neither one seem to have any depth to them. Maybe I should just leave it alone? Like I said this thing plays like a dream as is right now.

First one seems to be more of a scratch than anything else. Between the 4th and fifth fret.

IMG_8025_zpsjzlxsaqg.jpg

The 2nd one has me more concerned. It's on the opposite side of the neck as the first one and runs from the nut to maybe halfway down the 1st fret. It seems to look bigger or smaller depending on the light or which direction you look at it.

9e1fb5fe-04c1-4d5a-94e0-19af6101e5bc_zpsbvm8zk1m.jpg

IMG_8053_zpsu28iz1zs.jpg

IMG_8042_zpsgoelg8ad.jpg

IMG_8046_zps2soxd4sx.jpg

IMG_8039_zpsvempu02d.jpg

IMG_8037_zpsez0jdhos.jpg

7c939282-6622-410b-aeaa-f1731f735c2f_zpsufzrmtcu.jpg

IMG_8033_zps9zktn6fm.jpg

9e1fb5fe-04c1-4d5a-94e0-19af6101e5bc_zpsbvm8zk1m.jpg

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the lighting and sharpness of most of those pictures don't really offer to say for sure

rose wood shows a lot of grain, and some of the area where you seem more concerned tends to have a number if white streaks..

can you feel and depth into that long white line? or is just on the surface?

does not look more than cosmetic to me.. (just mho)

I don't think you need worry too much, but really (I'd anyway) need better pictures, at least with better lighting.

As always, I would need to see it in person to say for sure.

But that's just a formality. I'm OCD as f__k about guitars, so I can empathize.

There's nothing in those pics that suggests even the slightest problem, in my opinion. You'll be fine.

my hunch is with the latest CITES regulations, we may be seeing more guitars coming off the line, considering there is now a depleting rose wood stock, where wood that was pushed aside for issues like in your case (where the wood is fine but has cosmetics that would normally by not used.) will start to be used.

This has happened already with Ebony and for example Taylor. They are now using pieces for fret-boards that have light streaks in the wood, previously, those would be rejected only for cosmetic reasons.

As I say, Just a hunch, but, I don't think you have any thing to worry about.

Enjoy the playing!

Generally on that end of the fretboard most cracks are caused by the truss rod bolt. Those look like stress fractures that have become visable.

Hi, I just came back and read your post. Thanks for responding. If it is a stress fracture from the rod bolt, is it serious? Do I need to get it checked out and repaired or not? Seems like they would have noticed that during final inspection but they sent it out anyway.

Jay, just my two cents, consult your physician, blah blah (aka disclaimer):

Is it serious? In short - no. If they were gaping gaps, I'd be concerned. From the pics, I still say no need to worry. They're fractures, so there had to be some stress, right?

But they don't look at all serious from the pics, so I still say, enjoy your LP - you'll be fine.

I'm not an expert. Yes, I could be wrong. But what I AM an expert at, is "OCDing about a new guitar". Or, as I prefer to call it: "It's not like they're f**kin' free".

Enjoy your guitar!

Jay, just my two cents, consult your physician, blah blah (aka disclaimer):

Is it serious? In short - no. If they were gaping gaps, I'd be concerned. From the pics, I still say no need to worry. They're fractures, so there had to be some stress, right?

But they don't look at all serious from the pics, so I still say, enjoy your LP - you'll be fine.

I'm not an expert. Yes, I could be wrong. But what I AM an expert at, is "OCDing about a new guitar". Or, as I prefer to call it: "It's not like they're f**kin' free".

Enjoy your guitar!

Thank you for the input. Other than the crack being visible, It doesn't seem to affect anything as it feels and plays great. I get a liite OCD at times also.

Archived