Gibson Brands Forums

N...ermm...VHSTapeDay....

pippy

Not even I get too excited about VHS tapes in the general scheme of things (titter ye not!) but this is an exception to the rule!

EC played a Whistle Test Special for BBC's magnificent 'Old Grey Whistle Test' series on 'Jubilee Tuesday 1977' (HRH The Queen's 25th year at the helm) and (one hour of) the concert was broadcast live. I watched it as a teenager and it was - at the time - some of the best live music I'd ever seen & heard. Magical.

In recent years I'd always hoped it might be released as a DVD from the archives. Some tracks have appeared on various BBC compilations but not (AFAIK) the whole show. Imagine my surprise, therefore, to find this unwanted gem in a local charity shop for the princely sum of 50p (*) !

Clapton%20box-cover%20pair_zpszuedbtxv.jpg

I just knew it was a good idea to hang on to that steam-powered hunk of junk that is our VHS muncher player for all those years....

It's been posted many times before and is probably the best known of the performances from this concert but for anyone new to this gig here's EC's classic live version of 'I Shot The Sheriff';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEt3WVjVoPs

Pip.

* Which is I believe you folks Stateside abbreviate to TwoQuartersOneDimeOneNickel?

Cool! I, too, hung on to my VHS player. One day, I'll shake it angrily at kids while telling them to get off my lawn!

It's unfortunate you don't see many tapes at all in chazzers (look at me trying out my British English!) anymore. I'm not saying I want to watch every movie on VHS, but back when you could buy used tapes for next to nothing, 10p for a night in? Quite reasonable!

Guest Farnsbarns

Let me know if you'd like it copied on to something you can play without stoking the engine first.

Knockin On Heavens Door was a single here that he had done a year or so earlier. We couldn't get it though, it was just on the radio. I still play that song reggae, and I still get asked "who plays knockin on heavens door reggae?".

rct

Knockin On Heavens Door was a single here that he had done a year or so earlier. We couldn't get it though, it was just on the radio. I still play that song reggae, and I still get asked "who plays knockin on heavens door reggae?"...

We could get it here......msp_smile.gif......

Knocking_zpsw2kybjju.jpg

The odd thing about that recording - as I'm sure you know - is that it was only released as a single; it didn't come from any of his studio albums. I wasn't in the habit of buying 45's but in this case I made an exception.

I, too, always play the song like the EC version and usually segue into Mr. Marley's(*) "No Woman, No Cry" for good measure...try it yourself; they go together perfectly!

He had that band a long time, they were great, I guess I saw them three or four times. He fired them all via fax. Carl Radle died on my 20th.

I saw them twice although I'm not sure Yvonne Elliman and Marcy Levy were still singing back-up...eusa_think.gif...

I've never heard the real reason EC fired them in that manner but I've read that they way he sacked them is something he deeply regrets having done. And rightly so...

Pip.

* EDIT : Bob. Not Jacob.

I have a dilemma....or Dalai Lama if you will....[unsure]

My VHS 'combo' player is broken....:-({|=

I have a ton of music videos....favourite being Albert Lee's DCI tutor video.....[thumbup](huge)....

Cannot decide whether to purchase a reconditioned VHS player from a 'reputable' online supplier....

V

:-({|=

My VHS 'combo' player is broken....I have a ton of music videos....favourite being Albert Lee's DCI tutor video.....Cannot decide whether to purchase a reconditioned VHS player from a 'reputable' online supplier....

I've not checked the going-rate but I can't imagine they would be too pricey...........eusa_think.gif..........If you can get one for a reasonable price then I'd say go for it!

I kept mine because back in the day I taped a lot of live T.V. broadcasts and, by their very nature, these programmes will never be available in the future.

Pip.

The going rate in charity shops when I bought mine was $20.

Get one used if they're still available? You can always get an overpriced new one from a hipster dealer in the future.

Ack! Youth. Buying insanely overpriced bootleg VHS tapes at record fairs... Now there's YouTube.

And thank God for that.

I've never heard the real reason EC fired them in that manner

He was a poon obsessed drunken bum, and not really any other reason.

but I've read that they way he sacked them is something he deeply regrets having done. And rightly so...

Yes, he did admit it was bad. Whitlock went to see Radle not long before he died, and he too lamented that firing in the Dominoes book that is REALLY hard to find.

EC went to see Jim Gordon in the joint a few times in the 80's, and tried to make it up with him. They had it bad them two. Whitlock theorized that EC felt that if they just gotten along better and got through the second Dominoes record that Gordon might have come out OK.

rct

We still have our VHS player and tapes. also cassette player, disc and recorder with turntable and tons of albums and such. We were given a bunch more VHS movies but since we had them all in discs we gave them all to goodwill. Seems to me I saw that before. I know Debbie has something like that on Eric Clapton in VHS.

What it this book?

grrrr

I can't remember the name of it. It was Whitlock's story of how they ended up a band. All of the time spent in England and France while EC chased some model. The realization that he had to make a record and the hurried setting up in Florida. A little about Duane. Lots about how the songs got written, how Tell The Truth almost didn't make it, and how Thorntree was recorded and that Tom Dowd thought it was the single best recording he ever made.

I bought it at Virgin Books in the old Downtown Disney. I read it and sent it to a friend in Canada that I have since lost touch with. I kick myself regularly about that.

rct

I can't remember the name of it. It was Whitlock's story of how they ended up a band. All of the time spent in England and France while EC chased some model...

I'd never heard of this book so have been having a scout around the web. Was it 'Bobby Whitlock' by Rob Caldwell?

http://www.allmusic....64154/biography

...or this one; 'Derek and the Dominoes' by William Ruhlman?

http://www.allmusic....17369/biography

...and I'm guessing 'some model' was Pattie Boyd-Harrison?

Pip.

Buying insanely overpriced bootleg VHS tapes at record fairs...

[biggrin]

My Hendrix VHS tapes (Woodstock, Berkeley, Rainbow Bridge, IOW and more) are currently for sale at bargain prices!

but - know what you mean, I bought some insanely overpriced, very bad bootleg CDs at record fairs.....now selling those off too. [smile]

Didn't know all that about the end of the Dominoes; good info as usual!

...and I'm guessing 'some model' was Pattie Boyd-Harrison?

No. The four of them are out drinking of course, near wherever EC was living at the time, probably down the hall from you.

They see this stunning coffee colored model that EC falls straight over for, which he apparently did at least once a day. He introduces himself, makes it clear who he is, and tries to put the move on her. She rebuffs him, she's nearly married and just not interested.

Next night, same thing. She tells him again, and tells him goodbye as she is leaving on the morrow for some quaint village in France, probably near where Louis XIV lived, just down the hall from you.

So EC packs up his band, which hasn't rehearsed or written a thing since his solo record came out, the first one with him in the chair, After Midnight and all that, and heads for France, uninvited. They spend a good three weeks to a month there, drinking. That's how long it takes EC to get through his booze addled skull that this babe truly wants nothing to do with him.

This little trip was interrupted by notification that EC had to get to work on his next record, that Tom Dowd had been secured, and that they'd better be in Miami with the songs they've written by the end of the week. And so they set off to make one of the best records ever made, excepting the title single, with not a thing written or rehearsed between the four of them.

rct

Archived