Gibson Brands Forums

Ever seen a REAL Epi LP Special?

Hi all, new here, playing 50 years and just bought my first Epi LP, wanted one a while. Here's the thing: it's a Special, but not like any Epiphone lp special I ever saw. 2 p90s, 2v 2t, setneck (yup), marked limited edition custom shop. Chinese made I guess. Color is light gray with black trim, paint seems uneven, might be a prototype. No binding anywhere, well, a Special. Neck is a D shape with dots. Tuneomatic bridge with stop tailpiece. Grover tuners. Hardware is chrome. In short, killer axe, looks gorgeous, sounds great and plays like a dream. But what the heck is it? Anyone ever see another one like this? Bought used btw,in Tokyo.

...2 p90s, 2v 2t, setneck (yup), marked limited edition custom shop....what the heck is it? Anyone ever see another one like this?...

Hi and welcome.

Does it look like a gray one of these?...

Epi%20LP%20Special%20Limited%20Edition_zpsl3wq8ahw.jpg

It's a limited edition Epi LP Special. I've seen them in TV Yellow and Cherry Red but I've never seen a gray one before, though.

Pip.

That's it! I wonder if mine was repainted.

It's quite possible, Mark.

The finish on every Epi I've seen in recent years has been faultless and you mention the paint on yours seems uneven. I doubt a prototype would be allowed to leave the factory and I also doubt whether even a prototype would have a dodgy finish. Possible but unlikely.

I only played one example (in TV Yellow) when they were 'current' and it was very similar in feel to a genuine '57 single-cut Special I'd played. Slightly faster neck on the Epi.

Nice Guitars! I hope you enjoy yours to the full!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

It's quite possible, Mark.

The finish on every Epi I've seen in recent years has been faultless and you mention the paint on yours seems uneven. I doubt a prototype would be allowed to leave the factory and I also doubt whether even a prototype would have a dodgy finish. Possible but unlikely.

I only played one example (in TV Yellow) when they were 'current' and it was very similar in feel to a genuine '57 single-cut Special I'd played. Slightly faster neck on the Epi.

Nice Guitars! I hope you enjoy yours to the full!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Hi, a bit more info: I found a YouTube review in Japanese for this model in the gray color. Who knows, maybe it's mine! But that seems to indicate that the instrument was not modded.

Hi, a bit more info: I found a YouTube review in Japanese for this model in the gray color. Who knows, maybe it's mine! But that seems to indicate that the instrument was not modded.

Having seen that clip I agree it's likely that the finish is original.

Looks good in the gray!

Pip.

I am not sure why Epi does it but they seem to release guitars in certain colors to only some countries. My purple Nighthawk was a bear to get in the US when they were first released. That Epi LP Special looks so much nicer than the typical 2 knob Epi LP Special.

I am not sure why Epi does it but they seem to release guitars in certain colors to only some countries. My purple Nighthawk was a bear to get in the US when they were first released. That Epi LP Special looks so much nicer than the typical 2 knob Epi LP Special.

I agree. It looks and plays like a high-end LP. I never noticed this model when they were on sale in the US (there are reviews at the online sellers), so I thought "what is this?" I can't find any sign that this model was ever on sale in Europe, where I live.

I'm taking it to the luthier tomorrow to install a set of Duncan SP90s I happen to have lying around. The stock P90s in the guitar are good, but I think there's room for an upgrade. We'll see if the Duncans do it.

Archived