Gibson Guitar Board: Capos Revisited - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Capos Revisited

#1 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

  • ....decisions, decisions....
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2542
  • Joined: 03-March 09
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

As most of you regulars know already, I'm a gadget guy........I I love the tools of the trade and like to experiment with variations. Over the last year I've invested in a few different capos, seeking the one that works best for my purposes, regardless of cost. So in the quiver are a McKinney-Elliot, a Kat Eyez, a G7th Heritage and a Paige..........all yoke (or stirrup) style capos, my preferred design. For those that are interested in such things, here's my thoughts on this little collection of toys..........

The Elliot: B Well-made; a bit on the heavy side; seems to deliver a sub-par tone relative to the others (not sure why a capo affects tone, but it does); must be cranked tight to eliminate rattle

Kat Eyez: B Again, well-made; quite light with a slim build; tone not altered much; must be tightened pretty severely

G7th Heritage: B+ best build of the lot; robust construction but not heavy; delivers good tone; really has to be cranked very tight but doesn't pull the guitar sharp in doing so

Paige: A+ The cheapest in the group; very lightweight; doesn't affect tone; snugs up very quickly without having to crank it; does not pull tuning sharp

The G7th is the latest acquisition and has been getting exclusive use for the last month or so. While it is a very nice piece and by far the prettiest of the group, having to really crank down it is a distraction to me. It works very well but is not quick to move from one position to another. Last night I dug the old $20 Paige out of the box and strapped it on.........geez. Regardless of cost, this little black capo is the best of them all. Very easy to move and snug up at a new position quickly, it delivers good tone and is a low-profile, inconspicuous tool that does exactly what I expect from a capo.

Sure, the others are prettier and perhaps better known but none of them hold a candle to the little Paige for ease of use and functionality. If you're a yoke style capo fan you'll not find a better one than this. Bucster approved.
Hummingbird Vintage/J-45 Vintage/Schertler David Deluxe
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
I stumble on through the dust of disappointment....the winds of worry tuggin' at my clothes..... Buc, from Stones of Circumstance
0

#2 User is offline   kelly campbell 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5393
  • Joined: 12-May 13
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 18 May 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

As most of you regulars know already, I'm a gadget guy........I I love the tools of the trade and like to experiment with variations. Over the last year I've invested in a few different capos, seeking the one that works best for my purposes, regardless of cost. So in the quiver are a McKinney-Elliot, a Kat Eyez, a G7th Heritage and a Paige..........all yoke (or stirrup) style capos, my preferred design. For those that are interested in such things, here's my thoughts on this little collection of toys..........

The Elliot: B Well-made; a bit on the heavy side; seems to deliver a sub-par tone relative to the others (not sure why a capo affects tone, but it does); must be cranked tight to eliminate rattle

Kat Eyez: B Again, well-made; quite light with a slim build; tone not altered much; must be tightened pretty severely

G7th Heritage: B+ best build of the lot; robust construction but not heavy; delivers good tone; really has to be cranked very tight but doesn't pull the guitar sharp in doing so

Paige: A+ The cheapest in the group; very lightweight; doesn't affect tone; snugs up very quickly without having to crank it; does not pull tuning sharp

The G7th is the latest acquisition and has been getting exclusive use for the last month or so. While it is a very nice piece and by far the prettiest of the group, having to really crank down it is a distraction to me. It works very well but is not quick to move from one position to another. Last night I dug the old $20 Paige out of the box and strapped it on.........geez. Regardless of cost, this little black capo is the best of them all. Very easy to move and snug up at a new position quickly, it delivers good tone and is a low-profile, inconspicuous tool that does exactly what I expect from a capo.

Sure, the others are prettier and perhaps better known but none of them hold a candle to the little Paige for ease of use and functionality. If you're a yoke style capo fan you'll not find a better one than this. Bucster approved.




Thanks for the reviews, I for one find it useful as I have not purchased a capo in about three years.
0

#3 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2141
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

I've owned and used many capos over the years:

Schubb Deluxe
Kaiser
Dunlop Trigger
G7th Performance
G7th Performance 2
G7th Newport
Thalia
PlanetWaves NS

I keep coming back to my Schubb Deluxe. It is light, accurate, adjustable and durable.
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret
2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel
0

#4 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1367
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

I am also a fan of gadgets, but as an owner of a Paige capo, I have not been able to justify to myself a purchase of one of the exclusive type yoke capos. I just can't see how it is possible to improve on the Paige. Sure, there are others that are prettier, have more expensive materials, and are more shiny, but I'm actually even more attracted to the less is more approach of the Paige. It gets the job done without being noticed. It does not have to be made of a secret titanium/kevlar/gold alloy to work perfectly.

Lars
0

#5 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8307
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Capos, they aint what they used ta be.. (remember the round bars with the elastic/cloth wrapper with the holes in it.. Yep, my first capo.. what a beast.)

these days.. so many different ones..

I need to move em around pretty fast where the key or fret needed is changing and I don't find I have a lot of time to do it in my sitch.

The Thalia is a good one for the quick positioning The convertible tuning pads to match your neck radius seems to work very nicely. They include a bunch when you buy the capo, so chances are, if you have a few guitars you'll use them on, you'll have the right tuning pad. very well built and a bit elegant looking if that matters though a tad on the heavy side. You can slide it up on the nut to keep it handy if that floats yer boat.

I know a lot of peeps do not like kysers, I find they work ok if take a few seconds to line them up properly. I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen someone using a Kyser or similar designed and you can see the E and A strings are pulled down from the top of the fret board.. - ya,, that's gonna be in tune... I have a few kyser partial capos which when combined with a full capo, can create some very cool tunings.


I also use a planet waves NS capo, nice and discrete but not as quick to set as others.
/Ray
0

#6 User is offline   rct 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7771
  • Joined: 31-March 11
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

I have a capo.

rct
0

#7 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8307
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

View Postrct, on 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I have a capo.

rct


atta boy!
/Ray
0

#8 User is offline   AnneS 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1332
  • Joined: 20-August 10
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

 kidblast, on 18 May 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Capos, they aint what they used ta be.. (remember the round bars with the elastic/cloth wrapper with the holes in it.. Yep, my first capo.. what a beast.)

these days.. so many different ones..


I remember what an improvement that elastic model was compared to the rubberband-and-No.2-pencil contraption I'd been using...😜
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel
0

#9 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7641
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

 AnneS, on 18 May 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I remember what an improvement that elastic model was compared to the rubberband-and-No.2-pencil contraption I'd been using...😜


Ah Anne
Dont be joining that brigade
0

#10 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7310
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

Thx, Mister Threadhost.

Been looking for an opportunity to present this one - The Hippie Shubb



2017 ~ Posted Image



Admit I kind of like it, , , but only for John B. Sebastian, Melanie and 1967 to 69 Donovan tunes. .
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image
0

#11 User is offline   OldCowboy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2662
  • Joined: 06-February 16
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Paige and Shubb. My tune never changes!

Best of the lot is the first generation Paige. Someone gave it to me sometime in the mid-90's and it's worked beyond expectations ever since.

Also have a 2nd gen Paige that I bought later and a few black ones that are just fine.

Hey! Don't anybody demean us folks who started with homemade and graduated to elastic back in the day😠 The person STILL using the stretchy variety, now that's another matter😂
0

#12 User is offline   OldCowboy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2662
  • Joined: 06-February 16
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

 blindboygrunt, on 18 May 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Ah Anne
Dont be joining that brigade

That's MY brigade😨
0

#13 User is offline   QuestionMark 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1129
  • Joined: 27-December 07

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Kyser-works great, easy to not lose (also serves as a great paperweight on my amp, and in a pinch as a giant paper clip on my music stand when needed)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff
0

#14 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2681
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've only got 2, a Zkyser and a G7. I try very hard not to use them mainly because I hate how they restrict my fretting hand. I'm constantly hitting the base of my 1st finger on the end of the capo down by the 1st string.
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013
0

#15 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

  • ....decisions, decisions....
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2542
  • Joined: 03-March 09
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 18 May 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Posted Image


Well that's a fancy looking thang........nice! Was this an off-the-shelf purchase or did you have one customized? Looks regal.
Hummingbird Vintage/J-45 Vintage/Schertler David Deluxe
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
I stumble on through the dust of disappointment....the winds of worry tuggin' at my clothes..... Buc, from Stones of Circumstance
0

#16 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7641
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Because I play a couple of songs with only 5 strings capoed I bring the g7th and a kyser to my little gig

And I find myself using the kyser more often than not.
Sure , if I was at a recording session I'd use something else , but it works the very best . Clamp it on , give the strings a little push toward the soundhole and welly away

They get a bum rap and it's a little unjustified


I did have a Paige a few years ago that has ran away somewhere. Just lost. But it was fantastic.

Each one has its own merits , even when it comes down to 'haven't used that in a while' and the novelty kicks in again

I honestly don't find one miles and miles better than the next.

If I was desert island stranded I'd probably want the shubb , but the rubber keeps falling off the 'rear' part of the capo.
0

#17 User is offline   espgnlo 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 07-May 14
  • LocationGlencoe, Minnesota

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

My first capo was a Hamilton. I'm sure an orthodontist somewhere invented this one. That thing is huge! Heavy duty like a 53 Buick. I still have the thing and it still is as shiny as the first day I bought it. Man, can't fault the workmanship on this one. But now I'm a Shubb guy all the way. I have one in every guitar case. Best capo out there for me. But I still love my old Hamilton!!! I'm sure some of you still remember them, maybe even still have one!
Gibson J-45 Standard (2017)
Gibson SJ-200 (2014)
Gibson Hummingbird (2013)
Gibson 335 (1967)
Taylor GS7 (2010)
Taylor 356ce (2012)
Taylor DN-3 (2007)
Martin D-18 (2008)
Ovation Custom Balladeer (1974)
Yamaki Deluxe (1973)
0

#18 User is offline   Jinder 

  • Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1397
  • Joined: 02-January 08
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Dunlop Victor is the sleeper that very few ever mention, but is the best capo I've ever owned and used in 25yrs of playing.

It's simple but just WORKS, like all good stuff. The only capo I've ever used that makes the guitar sound better when it's in use. It's made from bell brass and adds a beautiful resonant weight to the neck.

I have G7ths too, several of them in the silver (old style) and black (newer style) cam release variety, and they are just fine. I keep a gold Kyser in the case with my Epi Texan and that's okay too. When I'm working as a guitar tech I'm always amazed by the number of big name artists who use Kysers and the paucity of artists who use Shubbs. In fact I've never worked as a tech or tour manager for any Shubb users.

Most people I know who have tried the Victor have bought them and swear by them.

I'm always tempted by the Thalias et al, but I keep thinking that as nice as they are, Woody and Townes never needed an $80 capo to write those songs.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic
0

#19 User is offline   Jinder 

  • Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1397
  • Joined: 02-January 08
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

 E-minor7, on 18 May 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Thx, Mister Threadhost.

Been looking for an opportunity to present this one - The Hippie Shubb



2017 ~ Posted Image



Admit I kind of like it, , , but only for John B. Sebastian, Melanie and 1967 to 69 Donovan tunes. .


Now THAT is sexy. And country as HELL 😍
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic
0

#20 User is offline   OldCowboy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2662
  • Joined: 06-February 16
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

 Jinder, on 19 May 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Dunlop Victor is the sleeper that very few ever mention, but is the best capo I've ever owned and used in 25yrs of playing.

It's simple but just WORKS, like all good stuff. The only capo I've ever used that makes the guitar sound better when it's in use. It's made from bell brass and adds a beautiful resonant weight to the neck.

I have G7ths too, several of them in the silver (old style) and black (newer style) cam release variety, and they are just fine. I keep a gold Kyser in the case with my Epi Texan and that's okay too. When I'm working as a guitar tech I'm always amazed by the number of big name artists who use Kysers and the paucity of artists who use Shubbs. In fact I've never worked as a tech or tour manager for any Shubb users.

Most people I know who have tried the Victor have bought them and swear by them.

I'm always tempted by the Thalias et al, but I keep thinking that as nice as they are, Woody and Townes never needed an $80 capo to write those songs.

Anyone who references Woody and Townes knows the absolute truth, IMHO
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users