• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Live and let. . .

#1 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

It's early morning here, dawn is breaking and I just experienced something rather weird.

Starting the day by sitting in the couch playing my 12-fret with the Hummingbird lying to the right.
No electric light, only the slightly brighter sky.
Suddenly while trying God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, a flicker is in the air. My eyes try to follow the sign, but it's gone.
Then one minute later a moth lands on the Bird.
I stop fingerpicking in the middle of I'd Rather be on Horseback, see a white buff-hankerchief to my left and sneakily choke the golden insect from above.
Quietly, slowly, precisely.
When I remove the cloth, nothing but a diffuse mark of dust remains on the cherry-brown top just some 12 centimeters away from wildlife pick-guard.
I clean the weapon and return to the guitars. Then get this strange feeling my deed was wrong, , ,, or totally lost the groove.
Maybe okay to kill the little flyer as it probably was out to eat my best shirt, but not there, , , simply not there.

Anybody know what I mean. . .

You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I am with you.

#3 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

E-minor7, on 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

It's early morning here, dawn is breaking and I just experienced something rather weird.

Starting the day by sitting in the couch playing my 12-fret with the Hummingbird lying to the right.
No electric light, only the slightly brighter sky.
Suddenly while trying God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, a flicker is in the air. My eyes try to follow the sign, but it's gone.
Then one minute later a moth lands on the Bird.
I stop fingerpicking in the middle of I'd Rather be on Horseback, see a white buff-hankerchief to my left and sneakily chokes the golden insect from above.
Quietly, slowly, precisely.
When I remove the cloth, nothing but a diffuse mark of dust remains on the cherry-brown top just some 12 centimeters away from wildlife pick-guard.
I clean the weapon and return to the guitars. Then get this strange feeling my deed was wrong, , ,, or totally out of groove.
Maybe okay to kill the little flyer as it probably planned to eat my best shirt, but not there, , , simply not there.

Believe I do - it's (to me) caught up somehow with life and art and what we do with and to both. Haiku-like in its simplicity/complexity.

#4 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

Never mind the moth

God rest ye merry gentlemen????

#5 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

I've looked at life from moth sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

#6 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:25 AM

Spiritual.
Moths transform (to butterflies).
Yours shall not.
You feel badly, especially because it happened on your hummingbird, which is beyond mystical for you.
Perhaps you have music coming out, or are writing, and are fearful it won't have transformed... maybe it's not all too different from past workings. Or maybe it has transformed... but you wish it didn't.
It's either this,

Or it's just that you don't like fuggin moths.

#7 User is offline   Proclaimer888 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:12 AM

Guitar now has the dreaded Moth Curse. You must give the guitar to me, as I am an expert at Moth Curse Exorcisms. It will take years, but can be successful.

#8 User is offline   Cougar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Maybe okay to kill the little flyer as it probably was out to eat my best shirt, but not there, , , simply not there.

Yeah, I know what you mean when those little buggers put holes in my clothes. They're pernicious.
2008 Epiphone Masterbilt spruce/rosewood EF-500RAVS

2011 Guild F50R burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 burst 

1939 Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith

2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS

2013 Epiphone EL-00 Pro VS

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string sunburst

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

Yamaha Motif XS7

#9 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

After volunteering for a while as a docent at our zoo, I became aware (old German saying - "too soon old, too late smart") how important some species are. Not having a clue which were endangered and which were pests, I just adopted a "catch and release " policy for all. Even spiders. A couple of weeks ago a bird flew in the open back door. Took me an hour to catch the little shyte.
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#10 User is offline   gearbasher 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 19 May 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

After volunteering for a while as a docent at our zoo, I became aware (old German saying - "too soon old, too late smart" how important some species are. Not having a clue which were endangered and which were pests, Imjust adopted a "catch and release " policy for all. Even spiders. A couple of weeks ago a bird flew in the open back door. Took me an hour to catch the little shyte.

I'm with you on "catch and release", but I let spiders live in my house. They take care of other things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was never very good at chemistry, but one of my favorite things to do is to turn beer into urine." -- TWilson

The only thing I'm looking to achieve is room temperature.

#11 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

After watching "The Mothman Prophecies" again last week, I'd be a bit cautious about killing a moth. You never know.....Seriously, I think a bug is a bug and if it's in the house it's in danger.
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, J15, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#12 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

They are skillful flyers- tactical, with the ability to hide when they want to. Out of admiration and respect for their abilities, I will try to evict them when possible, trying not to rub off too much of their pixie flight dust. If they're not caught, they often simply "time out" for some reason.

Moths are carriers of disease that wipes out a great many of some species of trees, but it's not their fault that they're infected. Still, good of the OP to reconsider his automatic response.

Yes, BBG, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" ?

#13 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

View Postgearbasher, on 19 May 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'm with you on "catch and release", but I let spiders live in my house. They take care of other things.

Actually, yes. Except scorpions. They get put down. Too easy to get stung by one. And, of course, flies and cockroaches are extinguished as well in the house.
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#14 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thanx for the different angles on the topic, fellows.
It took a dilemma like this to get FB out of the womb ^ hehe, definitely worth it.

And I see what MissouriP and others mean.
Being the type that catches spiders under glass and release them outside, I still agree certain buggers must be prepared for the ultimate.

I can take out a fly, , , certainly a moth - just don't like the assassination done on the glowing lower bout of my wildlife Bird - especially not at dawn.

bbg and 62b - I found this instrumental on the Cloud around Xmas - probably while listening to grunt or Sal.

Didn't know the several 100 years old carol, but liked it and decided to give it a go. A jump out of the boxzzz

Mister Ray Pelkey's version - https://soundcloud.c...merry-gentlemen

Sal - Sitting there on the sofa between Oldfields folk-tune and the small restless yet resting golden flier, for a short moment made me wonder where on the scale exactly I was. . .

1975 ~
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

There I was, trying to decide if I felt bad for the moth, as I've had to exterminate countless of the pesky "Pantry" variety from an infestation last year, but all the while thinking "Ah but his choice in the morning music endeavor is approved!!!

Then later down, I read this: Mister Ray Pelkey's version

Suffice to say EM..., as one who deeply admires the work you have posted in the past I'm am more than a bit honored to have this mentioned. A bad day for the moth aside.... [woot]

/Ray
/Ray

#16 User is offline   chasAK 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is one of my favorite Christmas Hymns. My daughter and I started to work on an arrangement of this song a couple ofyears ago. We never finished it :mellow: She plays a full size harp.

Now gentleman concerning the moth, not to sound too cold or harsh, if you brushed your teeth today you purposely and premeditatedly killed thousands of living bacteria. If you would not have done so you would end up with holes in your teeth. So EM7 don't feel too bad!

chasAK

#17 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postkidblast, on 22 May 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Suffice to say EM...,

Wow hadn't a clue you were the Ray behind that performance.
Gladly repeat I really dig your version of this ancient hymn. You have the timing and feel so right.

Been listening many times before deciding to give it a shot - seems it calms the system.

I use yours as a template, but will curve it into 'my own' at some point. Next step is the little middle-section.

But Hey - guess we are sharing a bit of a Board-moment here. Your pure and soothing recording surely wasn't in vain.

Cheeers

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 22 May 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Wow hadn't a clue you were the Ray behind that performance.
Gladly repeat I really dig your version of this ancient hymn. You have the timing and feel so right.

Been listening many times before deciding to give it a shot - seems it calms the system.

I use yours as a template, but will curve it into 'my own' at some point. Next step is the little middle-section.

But Hey - guess we are sharing a bit of a Board-moment here. Your pure and soothing recording surely wasn't in vain.

Cheeers

Hi Em,

yep, I hide behind that alias here, as so many of us on the board do, but that is me..

you shared a few times with me your version of The River, during the Christmas season, I still think it's one of the best I've heard.

From the other recordings you shared, clearly you're a pro, with many trips to the rodeo under your belt.

If you ever record your own version of this, I'd love to hear if you're inclined.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers,
/Ray

#19 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

I'm a bug killer.

Just sayin'.....

#20 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Just clapped another golden flaxer - but this time in front of the PC-screen.

Back to the real fliers.

Birds, Doves, Sparrows, , , , , and Southern Dumbos. .
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users