Gibson Brands Forums

6 comparison video clips coming(1944 Gibson J-45 and 1939 Martin 0-18 included)

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there !

I owe you a debt of video/audio stuff of guitars hunted, now time to repay. I made 6 video clips(the first time for me to make video) on the axes I hunted as an end of some act. Thank you for the help that you gave to me for the past three or more years !

Content sequence for each guitar:

=================================

Demonstration of guitar body

Demonstration of sound (bare finger first, and then thin pick, and then thick one), just tones, not musical piece, cause I'm no a soloist, just a folk singer.

Cover(bare finger picking only) of Dylan's girl from the north country. I'm just a folk singing guy, no a guitar player. so just a song. Sorry.

Capo: 3rd (beginning through end)

Due to my poor skill of guitar playing and limited recording device, too much of guitar sound is leaked. These clips are for your references only.

Recording

============

Video: iphone 4S

Audio: SONY PCM-D50 Recorder(no any effect added)

Guitar material and string gauge are provided on Youtube briefing.

Gibbys

=============

1944 Gibson J-45

Thank John Thomas for your site. It was by visiting your site that I got to buy the guitar.

Thank Willi at www.antique-acoustics.de in Germany for the purchase.

Great guys !

https://youtu.be/K_fMl0SXcZU

2013 reissue of 1942 Gibson J-45

Thank fp as previous owner, great guy !

https://youtu.be/g5qv4zmPaB0

Thanks for sharing this with us! So cool.

To my ears, these are quintessential examples of the Martin and Gibson sounds. Equally great, to be equally admired. Preference is but a matter of, well, preference.

This said, that big, warm tone of the J-45 is what makes me smile. That it was built by the Kalamazoo Gals renders the experience all the more meaningful to me.

Thanks, again.

That 44 J-45 sure has a nice timbre to it. How far up the neck can you get that Paige to fit on that large neck?

duluthdan, under fp's instruction(previous owner of my 2013 reissue of 1942 J-45), I can JUST EXACTLY put a Paige Standard capo(not a wider verson) on my 2013 reissue of 1942 J-45 with full baseball bat sized neck, let alone 1944 J-45 with a bit narrower neck than the former...I tried a wider version of a Paige, did not work...subtle.

Thanx for taking time out to present such a serious A/B/C/D/E/F

I like your collection a lot and appreciate that you seem to zoom in on certain sounds/identities for closer investigation.

The OM-21 Special flanked by the D-21 ditto versus another dread > the HD-28, which is one of the most convincing guitars on the planet.

Approx 7 years ago I was in love the OM-21 Special, but found out I'm a not a small-body Mart-player.

Of these two dreads the 28 is preferred.

Something very relaxed and self-confident about that one. If I didn't own a wild HD-28V I'd go for a HD.

In fact I'd go for a scalloped rose Mart and a Gibson square hog if I only could take two out there on the desert island.

The J-45 of course is among the greatest acoustics too - and perhaps even 'better' than the squares.

Reason I pick square is that they seem to be tighter than both 45's and the scalloped Marts - thus offer a more significant counterpoint (if you see what I mean).

Of your 45's, the oldie takes the gold. Warmer and more vintage sounding - it was worth waiting-fighting for, goto.

I'm sure the differences are clearer in real life than on tape and only you know exactly what you have there. (That D-21 would probably blow my mind)

If however I should choose, , , it would be the HD-28 and the ancient Gibson. What a pair. Complementary power and inspiration forever.

But no one said you are about to boil down. You are in the middle of a circle.

Enjoy this marvelous herd and keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing this with us! So cool.

To my ears, these are quintessential examples of the Martin and Gibson sounds. Equally great, to be equally admired. Preference is but a matter of, well, preference.

This said, that big, warm tone of the J-45 is what makes me smile. That it was built by the Kalamazoo Gals renders the experience all the more meaningful to me.

Thanks, again.

Sorry, jt !

It occured to me that the first guy whom I should say thank to is you. It was by visiting your site that I got to know Willi's guitar site and then bought it from him.

So I edited my post, added the gratitude to it.

Very well done! I am partial to the two J-45s. Great tone from both, with a slight edge to the oldie.

Lars

Yeah, I feel the same.That 1944 is a gem ! That 2013 reissue is the cut version of it, pretty articulate, crystal, and a killer for a pickup(I set up a KK mini) and my AER mobile 2(battery version of AER 60).

I pulled out 2013 reissue, HD-28 and AER mobile 2 to street gig's arena. WoW, 2013 reissue on AER sounds butter like,better than HD-28.

Thanx for taking time out to present such a serious A/B/C/D/E/F

I like your collection a lot and appreciate that you seem to zoom in on certain sounds/identities for closer investigation.

The OM-21 Special flanked by the D-21 ditto versus another dread > the HD-28, which is one of the most convincing guitars on the planet.

Approx 7 years ago I was in love the OM-21 Special, but found out I'm a not a small-body Mart-player.

Of these two dreads the 28 is preferred.

Something very relaxed and self-confident about that one. If I didn't own a wild HD-28V I'd go for a HD.

In fact I'd go for a scalloped rose Mart and a Gibson square hog if I only could take two out there on the desert island.

The J-45 of course is among the greatest acoustics too - and perhaps even 'better' than the squares.

Reason I pick square is that they seem to be tighter than both 45's and the scalloped Marts - thus offer a more significant counterpoint (if you see what I mean).

Of your 45's, the oldie takes the gold. Warmer and more vintage sounding - it was worth waiting-fighting for, goto.

I'm sure the differences are clearer in real life than on tape and only you know exactly what you have there. (That D-21 would probably blow my mind)

If however I should choose, , , it would be the HD-28 and the ancient Gibson. What a pair. Complementary power and inspiration forever.

But no one said you are about to boil down. You are in the middle of a circle.

Enjoy this marvelous herd and keep us posted.

WoooooooooooooW !

Just addicted to reading your comments with your story and feeling.

Yeah, that HD-28 sounds better for ears, a bit round. That's becuase, I guess, Deep down, its low end and mids feel a bit blunt, not that easy to drive. So it doesn't stab one's ear.

In my hands, my HD-28 sounds very normal, no personality.

Besides, I've played my HD-28 for about 8 years. But the other guitars are almost new to me. And 2013 reissue of 1942 J-45 and 2008 D-21 Special are, I guess, not played too much, like virgins. Both sound sharp, especially 2013 reissue of 1942 J-45.

Jim at Jet City says my 1939 0-18 was sitting in basement. I guess, at least for a not short period.

1944 J-45 has no single pick wear(let alone fingerpicking wear) around soundhole.

OM-21 Special doesn't seem to be played much as well.

Archived