Gibson Brands Forums

New to Gibson

Damocles

Hi,

I've been a guitar player (with a collection of 7 Stratocasters) for over 45 years and while I've owned an early 70s MIJ Epiphone acoustic for many years I've only just acquired my first Gibson in the form of a somewhat derelict 1968 LG-12. Looking forward to learning more about it as I hope to do some minimal restoration (just enough to make it more playable).

Hello, welcome....

If you use photobucket, post some photos of it in the Acoustic section and you should get good info on it.

(EDIT) Oh I see you did... [thumbup]

Best wishes!

Thank you! So far it seems like this is a nice friendly helpful bunch and clearly a cool place to hang out.

I couldn't remember what model my old Epiphone was until I got home, last night. As mentioned, it's MIJ; Model 6830E. My first wife gave it to me as a wedding gift in 1975. She bought it at Chappell Music in New Bond Street in London and it's been the foundation of my relationship with guitars ever since. My most profound memory being two weeks in April '81 in Paris teaching myself to play in open tuning (CGDGBD). It is a prince amongst guitars...

I actually manage a pawn shop and we recently gave up selling guns to concentrate on our decades old inventory of musical instruments. As we slowly delve into them I'm finding treasures that I've never seen or known we even had. More Gibson's than I thought there would be; 335s, 345s, J1s, SGs, Les Pauls (so far) in all manner of condition and age. While I've always been a Strat man, and always will be, I've had the pleasure and joy of taking some of these home for the occasional weekend and I've certainly fallen in love more than once.

Now that I have this old LG-12 I feel as if I've finally committed myself to having and playing my very own Gibson although it'll certainly be quite some time before I could even consider buying one of those Les Pauls we have in stock...

1495311097[/url]' post='1856712']

Thank you! So far it seems like this is a nice friendly helpful bunch and clearly a cool place to hang out.

I couldn't remember what model my old Epiphone was until I got home, last night. As mentioned, it's MIJ; Model 6830E. My first wife gave it to me as a wedding gift in 1975. She bought it at Chappell Music in New Bond Street in London and it's been the foundation of my relationship with guitars ever since. My most profound memory being two weeks in April '81 in Paris teaching myself to play in open tuning (CGDGBD). It is a prince amongst guitars...

I actually manage a pawn shop and we recently gave up selling guns to concentrate on our decades old inventory of musical instruments. As we slowly delve into them I'm finding treasures that I've never seen or known we even had. More Gibson's than I thought there would be; 335s, 345s, J1s, SGs, Les Pauls (so far) in all manner of condition and age. While I've always been a Strat man, and always will be, I've had the pleasure and joy of taking some of these home for the occasional weekend and I've certainly fallen in love more than once.

Now that I have this old LG-12 I feel as if I've finally committed myself to having and playing my very own Gibson although it'll certainly be quite some time before I could even consider buying one of those Les Pauls we have in stock...

Cool, being a manager you can get special deals on the merchandise right? I love both, guitars and guns. I started learning the guitar at age 13 but quit playing around 26 when I got married. Dumbest thing I did was sell all my guitars and amps. Had about 13 guitars, a banjo, a steel electric guitar a 12 string so picked it up again at 60 when I retired from the railroad. But I've been a gun collector for over 30 some years. Lots of antiques. I recently passed down all the antique guns and rifles to my son with the rule they go to the grandson when he grows up and gets married.

While I'm the manager, unfortunately I'm not the owner. I do get first bite of anything that comes out for sale but I often have to do a reverse-sales-pitch with the boss if I really want something. Like with this LG-12; all about how poor the condition was, no pickguard, painted tuners, etc... In the end I was surprised that he let me buy it for $150 out the door.

We gave up our FFL because it had gotten to the point where we realized that, these days, one can't be a pawn shop and a gun shop at the same time. The paperwork, the semi-annual audits by the ATF...too much hassle and aggravation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived