Gibson Brands Forums

Wanting to swap out parts on my Thunderbird Pro

ImaRobot

Completely new here, but figured this is probably the best place I can gather the information I need, as its been hard on my own. I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this, but it was difficult putting together the key words for what I'm looking for, so please bare with me. I'd also like to note that this is the first time that I'm making attempt to make changes to any instrument I own, so any tips and help would be deeply appreciated.

I'm going through the process of getting my Thunderbird Pro IV painted, and decided that I want to change out the current hardware and pick ups to better match new color scheme and I'm not sure if I'm leaning more towards nickel or chrome, although I'm thinking nickel. Would there be a reason to choose one over the other when it comes to the bridge/pickups?.

First step was the bridge, I had been looking up different kinds all around. I thought the individual bridge per string would look cool, but I don't want to do something that's going to have adverse side effects, and I also wasn't sure if bridges are just easily interchangeable like that. I went to guitar center and basically got a yes, I can change them to anything, as well as a no, I can't change them to anything I want so he left me completely confused. He did recommend the Hipshot SuperTone Gibson 3-Point, and I do actually like the way that looks.

Next step is the pickups. So, I'm also wanting these in chrome/nickel but I'm just not sure if I have to search for active or passive pickups, or if that is just completely irrelevant? On top of that, I'm having a very hard time trying to find one that matches up to the same screw pattern as the ones that come on the Thunderbird Pro IV.

Any other general help would be great as well, thanks!

Archived