Gibson Brands Forums

Epi-intro

Jamsam

I thought I'd intro myself here in the Epiphone side. I jumped the fence form Strat styles to a LP 7 string a year ago and never looked back. Looking forward to my Epi Flying V on its way soon. Nice to meet ya!

I thought I'd intro myself here in the Epiphone side. I jumped the fence form Strat styles to a LP 7 string a year ago and never looked back. Looking forward to my Epi Flying V on its way soon. Nice to meet ya!

Greetings. Is your LP 7 string the Epi Matt Heafy signature model?

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. I was in the market for a 7 string back in 2015 and looked at several models from different manufacturers in 24.75", 25.5" and 27" baritone scale lengths. I was skeptical if the 24.75" scale would have sufficient tension on the low B string and since I play mostly in B Standard or Drop A, the baritone scale length didn't seem necessary. I ended up buying a Ltd (subsidiary of ESP guitars) H-7 2015 40th Anniversary model in 25.5" scale length, EMG 57-7/66-7 pickups, locking tuners and Super Strat body style.. I really like it. I'm not generally a big fan of active pickups, but these sound really good. I'm always curious about the alternatives for future purchases.

I've had no problems with string tension, tuned to B standard, drop A, or even A standard. Of course, I have super heavy gauge strings on it (72 for B string), to give you an idea. I've seen a lot of metal bands out there with really downtuned six string LP's, mainly doom bands. That LTD is nice! It has a Schecter C-1 look to it and yeah me too, I prefer passive pick-ups over active. They really add more something subtle, like the way I hold the pick, or angle I pluck comes out. The actives, however, are so much more quiet and seem to work better using Amp Sim VST's.

-JS

Archived