Gibson Brands Forums

50's Style Wiring

Looks like modern wiring

Ah well.....ooops [biggrin]

I can't imagine this guitar sounding any better than it already does with a new set of strings!

Now for the dumb question.....

Does it make that much difference anyway?

:-k[confused]

I have 50's Les Paul style wiring in both my SGs. Bought pre-made from Brown's Custom Shop before I learned to do it myself. I don't think I'll try anything different if I ever build/upgrade another one. The 50s style works for me.

What kind of a '50s spec Custom is that?

Modern vs. '50s wiring really only affects your sound if you use the pots. No difference if you keep everything on 10 all the time.

Hi Tim

Obviously not completely '50s then......but all mahogany with a nice fat neck -

lpfeb13small_zpsm0nmbrrz.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Ah well.....ooops [biggrin]

I can't imagine this guitar sounding any better than it already does with a new set of strings!

Now for the dumb question.....

Does it make that much difference anyway?

:-k[confused]

It's a tiny detail. Just a case of whether the tone controls tap off the highs before the volume control or after. When it's after the volume controls have an effect on the tone as well. This makes quite a difference to how the amp responds to volume roll off. Not one of those does it make a difference or not rows. It's quite profound.

It's weird that they would wire a 56 spec that way. I wouldn't worry about it. Modern wiring makes more sense when viewed logically. I think this of us who 'like' 50s wiring are just 'used to it' really. If you want to roll off the highs and the volume you could just turn both pots.

Archived