Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Amp

Black Dog

I have been struggling with amps. I have tried several. Fender champs, bugera V5, Marshall Code 25, Marshall MG30, Bugera G5, Fender mustang, Boss Katana. Finally, I found one Iike. With all the others I spent hours trying to dial in a decent tone. Nothing clicked. So I got a new Blackstar ID core 40 V2. I plugged this baby in and within minutes had great sounds coming out of it. It is extremely easy to dial in for whatever you want, clean, crunchy, overdrive. Plenty loud to play in your house. Good crunch even at lower volume. I was worried about the small speakers and the lack of a real EQ (I think it has that via software but not on the amp) but it has a really full sound. No lack of bass at all. Very clear. One of my main complaints about all the other amps was that they sound like they have a wet blanket over them. Not this one. Obviously it's not a gigging amp but great for home practice. I have yet to really get into it. Only payed for 1/2 hour before lunch but, it is looking good.

One of my main complaints about all the other amps was that they sound like they have a wet blanket over them. Not this one.

Congrats on finding an amp you like. You may already know this, but the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal (bbesound.com) helps deal with the "wet blanket" issue. I use it in guitar and bass rigs. I just turn it on and leave it on. They now make a mini-sized pedal (MS-92) to go with the standard-sized pedal (SS-92). They also make a rack-mount version if you are so inclined.

Congrats on finding an amp you like. You may already know this, but the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal (bbesound.com) helps deal with the "wet blanket" issue. I use it in guitar and bass rigs. I just turn it on and leave it on. They now make a mini-sized pedal (MS-92) to go with the standard-sized pedal (SS-92). They also make a rack-mount version if you are so inclined.

Thanks Tx-Ogre. And no, I did not know about the BBE pedal! That may have been of some help to me... Why did you wait so long to tell me? msp_smile.gif

Funny, they use almost the exact words - "It’s like lifting a blanket off your amp"

Oh well. I am really liking this new amp anyway. Over time I have spent a fair amount of money and time on amps pedals, etc. Right now, I'm getting awesome tone with no pedals at all and I haven't gotten into the software at all. Plus, it's small and light to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Blackstar seems to know what they are doing. I bought a little HT5 a few years ago for a practice amp and it has served me well. I have never heard anyone say they bought a Blackstar and were disappointed.

Glad you found something that serves your purpose. [thumbup]

Archived