Gibson Brands Forums

Oh dear oh dear

jdgm

Unbelievable...

The hatchet-job isn't the only thing unbelievable; have you seen the asking price??? £590 ! ! !

msp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gif

You can buy a complete SG Special for that money!!!!!

Mind you; to see what some left-handed genius did to a genuine original 'burst hurts rather more;

Beautiful%2059_zps1crcgr2l.jpg

Pip.

Can't understand why somebody would do that to an original 'burst or any guitar for that matter [crying] I wonder how much that took off the value of the 'burst? Maybe it would only go for £50,000 now [biggrin] I also wonder if you could repair it to some degree?

...I also wonder if you could repair it to some degree?...

Interesting thought, Cody.

If it were to be sent to somewhere like, for instance, Historic Makeovers I'm sure they could do quite a bit.

Source a lump of mahogany, a lump of maple and some binding to fill-in the 'new' cutaway; strip-off all the excess plastic and non-original hardware and fill-in the holes; fit a stop-bar tailpiece and any replacement knobs as necessary and all that it would need would be a refinish. If a nice, full-bodied, wide-rimmed and Dark variation of Darkburst was applied skillfully the new maple could be disguised enough to hide the 'join' and make a new owner happy.

I wonder if it's for sale?...

Pip.

People have always done dumb schitt with guitars, we just didn't know about it nearly as much. Now that I know about it, I still don't care what dumb schitt people do to their guitars.

rct

1495396767[/url]' post='1856884']

People have always done dumb schitt with guitars, we just didn't know about it nearly as much. Now that I know about it, I still don't care what dumb schitt people do to their guitars.

rct

I don't either! I had a 67 Barracuda drag racing car I invested a lot in and sold it to some kid, he took a saw to it and made it look similar to that first guitar. Well, he bought it and destroyed it and no one wanted it after he got through with it so it was scrap. I think they ought to pay $500.00 for someone to come get that 1st guitar. At least you can collect the cash and throw the guitar in the dumpster on the way out! msp_flapper.gif

Interesting thought, Cody.

If it were to be sent to somewhere like, for instance, Historic Makeovers I'm sure they could do quite a bit.

Source a lump of mahogany, a lump of maple and some binding to fill-in the 'new' cutaway; strip-off all the excess plastic and non-original hardware and fill-in the holes; fit a stop-bar tailpiece and any replacement knobs as necessary and all that it would need would be a refinish. If a nice, full-bodied, wide-rimmed and Dark variation of Darkburst was applied skillfully the new maple could be disguised enough to hide the 'join' and make a new owner happy.

I wonder if it's for sale?...

Pip.

Yep, a lump of mahogany and maple to fix the cutaway would work I think. I reckon with your idea of a darkburst refinish it would look almost back to its original glory. It would definitely be a fun restoration project for someone with expert repair skills.

It would totally be worth restoring the 'burst that pippy posted, but there is no hope for the SG that jdgm posted and I can't believe they are asking £599 for that!

it belongs in the trash. what a shame...

I don't get it either. It seems to me that if someone pays the money for a Gibson, or any guitar for that matter, they're looking for a particular look or feel. Tearing up a 72 SG isn't as bad as tearing up an original burst though. Sacrilege! It's their guitars and they can do what they want but yuck. I would agree to put the poor things out of their misery as well. The guitars, not the modifiers or players.

Archived