Gibson Brands Forums

If Anyone's Looking - J45 on CL

Dave F

A good price, and it may be less expensive, and likely more of a sure thing than repairing one with a heel crack, truss rod break through neck damage, large upper bout side crack, damaged dovetail from a bad neck reset, and finish damage.

He admits to potentially hedging on the 'firm' up front. Besides, you don't know what - for example - he considers to be a 'good' watch. A $300 Seiko (bought most anywhere for $150-$200) might be his lifelong dream. Then, with some, the sight of immediate cash in your hand tends to overpower their firm side rather quickly.

I guess it's just me - but my warning bell went off reading this. 'Spot on back that may be a nitro run. Lot of newer Gibson's have clear coat issues anymore. Bad QC"

A) they teach you in Marketing 101 - don't backhand slam what you're trying to sell. "barely noticeable clear coat drip" would have been the most he should have said.

2) suggesting Gibson has bad QC - implies there may be underlying issues with the guitar he's trying to sell (or trade for a used Seiko, or Saturday Night Special).

I'd pass on this one.

But if I were desparate - I'd meet this guy in public, and bring my .45 - just in case.

If it's mint condition then it's a good deal. Here in Los Angeles I found WM-45 ,a J-45 with natural top in excellent condition with hardcase for less than $900.This list has been up for 3-4 months now and nobody even want it.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/6140921212.html

Yea I think 1300 is decent. Here in ATL someone would try to get 2k for sure. Even for a standard. 900 for a wm45 seems a bit high if you ask me though.

There are approximately 2 dozen J45s up for sale on the Guitar Center Used Gear website. They evaluate them and state what 'condition' their condition is in. Probably more consistent than CL.

It is my understanding, having purchased only 1x this way - they'll ship the guitar to the GC closest to you, and you have a couple of days to take it home and try it out, with the option to return it for full price. YMMV.

There are approximately 2 dozen J45s up for sale on the Guitar Center Used Gear website. They evaluate them and state what 'condition' their condition is in. Probably more consistent than CL.

It is my understanding, having purchased only 1x this way - they'll ship the guitar to the GC closest to you, and you have a couple of days to take it home and try it out, with the option to return it for full price. YMMV.

I believe you have 30 days. On vintage items its 3 days. Pretty decent policy.

They upped the return period to 45 days, even on used. I waited over a month to return a a much banged up Hummingbird- just be sure to use the magical phrase "not as described" if returning and you don't like what condition it's condition was in.

. . This was the best sounding Hummingbird I'd ever played, and like an idiot, I returned it. Went back for it 10 days later, and it was gone. Anyone out there have HB #03289031?

As far as the WM-45; for anyone looking for an inexpensive J-50 fix, they're good way to go. I would look for one of the gloss, not satin, finished ones- The satin ones give a brushy noise with the fingers when playing. Just not a fan of the morado fretboard, though.

They upped the return period to 45 days, even on used. I waited over a month to return a a much banged up Hummingbird- just be sure to use the magical phrase "not as described" if returning and you don't like what condition it's condition was in.

. . This was the best sounding Hummingbird I'd ever played, and like an idiot, I returned it. Went back for it 10 days later, and it was gone. Anyone out there have HB #03289031?

As far as the WM-45; for anyone looking for an inexpensive J-50 fix, they're good way to go. I would look for one of the gloss, not satin, finished ones- The satin ones give a brushy noise with the fingers when playing. Just not a fan of the morado fretboard, though.

You're right. I now remember when I got my last guitar and they said 45 days. I thought it was a one off thing haha. That's kinda crazy.

Archived