Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville Tuning

drathbun

Hi gang.

I've known about "Nashville Tuning" (sometimes called "high strung") for a while now. I was thrilled to find out that one of my favourite songs was recorded with a Nashville-tuned guitar (Hey You - Pink Floyd), making it dead simple to play.

But I've recently found out a couple of other things about it.

1. Double tracking Nashville / Six String

If you've ever tried to record a 12 string acoustic guitar, you will know how difficult it is to EQ, balance in the mix, cut through the mix etc. They have always sounded muddy and not well defined. Did you know that most of the songs you identify as 12 string acoustic songs, like Dust in the Wind, Free Falling, Wild Horses, Comfortably Numb were recorded by double tracking a Nashville tuned six string on top of a regular six-string? I've been experimenting with it the last few days after tuning my Yamaha FG150 in Nashville tuning.

2. D'Addario EJ38H Nashville

D'Addario makes a "Nashville Tuning / High Strung" set of strings so you don't have to butcher a 12 string set for the high strung courses. D'Addario EJ38H. I bought two sets!

In recording, I will record a track with my SJ200 and then record a second track over it with the high strung Yamaha. Then I'll do a normal EQ, HPF, compression and dash of reverb on each track and pan one full left and the other full right. It is remarkably clear and clean as opposed to recording an acoustic 12 string.

IMG_3529.jpg

I'm just adding a link to a YouTube video in the "Produce Like a Pro" series where Warren Huart demonstrates how a regular six string and a cheapo Nashville strung six string can combine for a great sounding "12 string" track. It is actually very simple.

Good stuff. Thanks!

Excellent post....[thumbup]

As a die hard 12 stringer though, I beg to contribute regarding EQ and recording issues thereof.....[biggrin]

I usually get a good sound through a variety of sometimes indifferent PA's....and have recorded successfully.....dry.gif

It does take experience, skill and a deft touch to optimise the beauty of a 12 string sound-wise

And it would be a shame to steer folks away from meeting that challenge....

Forget ye not the fine 12 string recordings of John Lennon, Leadbelly, Gary Davis, The Byrds, John Denver, Glen Campbell, Wings, Brian May and many more....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Excellent post....[thumbup]

As a die hard 12 stringer though, I beg to contribute regarding EQ and recording issues thereof.....[biggrin]

I usually get a good sound through a variety of sometimes indifferent PA's....and have recorded successfully.....dry.gif

It does take experience, skill and a deft touch to optimise the beauty of a 12 string sound-wise

And it would be a shame to steer folks away from meeting that challenge....

Forget ye not the fine 12 string recordings of John Lennon, Leadbelly, Gary Davis, The Byrds, John Denver, Glen Campbell, Wings, Brian May and many more....[thumbup]

V

I agree Versatile. Pumping a 12 string through a PA or an acoustic amp (almost the same thing) gives you a little more control over the dynamic and frequency range. As to recording the guitar without an amp, using two pencil condensers; one on the fretboard and one pointed at the upper treble bout (NOT at the sound hole), splitting both signals left and right and using light compression and a high pass filter seems to yield some good results. But I've found this Nashville tuning experiment enlightening. It basically pulls the 12 string apart into the high courses and the lower courses, which is TRUE frequency separation. It is also way easier to control the "woof" of a 12 string and it seems to articulate so much better.

Apropos of this discussion....dry.gif

I've decided to try Nashville Tuning....for the first time....

It should add an extra dimension to some of my Travis Picking arrangements....[thumbup]

V

It beats the hell out of trying to Travis pick a 12 string!

It beats the hell out of trying to Travis pick a 12 string!

Thanks for the link DB very interesting. I like the 12 string sound but you just can't pick them or well I can't. So I Nashville tuned a J45, Great sound and I can pick it but it is limiting as to what you can play so I'm still looking for the right song.

Thanks for the link DB very interesting. I like the 12 string sound but you just can't pick them or well I can't. So I Nashville tuned a J45, Great sound and I can pick it but it is limiting as to what you can play so I'm still looking for the right song.

Try Dust in the Wind. I've never been able to fingerpick that on a 12 string. On a six it is simple.

Archived