Gibson Brands Forums

reverb vs. ebay

Cougar

Uhhhh yes and no.

They CLAIM to have reduced it from 10 to 3.5 but apparently it's only on guitars. I sold a mandolin on Saturday and got charged the full 10%.

Ebay has become a cesspool (this from a guy with over 8500 transactions, 3 neutrals and NO negatives). Ebay gets worse and worse with every change they make. It used to be fun.

I got on reverb when there were like 200 items in all. It's getting better, at least in the sense that it's more widely used. Hopefully they will keep the Avis paradigm.

Yeah. I noticed that too. I really never minded the 10% as much as the fact that eBay includes your Shipping Fee in their calculation! [cursing]

That's probably because so many people were charging nothing for the item and then a lot for shipping to dodge the fees

That's probably because so many people were charging nothing for the item and then a lot for shipping to dodge the fees

That's exactly why they did it, and had to, years ago. People were listing items for like $1 and charging $49 shipping!

Looks like upstart reverb was hurting ebay's bottom line, so ebay reduced their final value fee on music-related items to 3.5% instead of their whopping 10%.

Bravo reverb!

I only sell on Reverb these days. I got rid of my eBay store altogether a few months ago as most of my pedal sales were coming from Reverb. With a store on eBay they only charged 7.5%, but there was a fee for the store too. Can't say as I miss it. Reverb also has a direct checkout feature which makes it easy for buyers to use credit cards. I may be selling fewer units each month (though not by much), but I'm keeping more profit and Reverb is growing rapidly. Overall I'm a fan.

That's exactly why they did it, and had to, years ago. People were listing items for like $1 and charging $49 shipping!

I dunno about you but I always avoided sellers that did that. When you don't even need to click on a listing to know the seller is blatantly dishonest...

I only ever had one bad experience on eBay but unfortunately it was a pretty expensive item and I pretty much lost about $400 so I'm really not into eBay for big purchases these days

I still buy on eBay but would never sell there again..Additionally, every guitar I have sold in the last year or more has been via forums where I'm happy to make a contribution after the sale..I still use eBay to establish a realistic selling price but their fees are just nuts.

I've moved away from eBay also. Reverb often takes a lot longer to generate a sale unless you lowball everyone else selling a similar guitar (which I've done). The nice thing about eBay is your guitar usually sells in a week or two, but the fees are just not worth it. Reverb has a more personal feel, and 3.5% was always a fair cut in my opinion. Glad to see eBay has matched Reverb on fees, but Its too late to get me back.

Yeah. I understood their reason. But I still think they could have come up with another way to deal with it rather than a blanket solution that penalizes everyone.

Yeah. I understood their reason. But I still think they could have come up with another way to deal with it rather than a blanket solution that penalizes everyone.

I agree. It turns out a few bad apples actually do ruin the barrel.

Uhhhh yes and no.

They CLAIM to have reduced it from 10 to 3.5 but apparently it's only on guitars. I sold a mandolin on Saturday and got charged the full 10%.

That sucks. The email I got said the 3.5% applied to "guitars, basses, pedals, amps."

I've moved away from eBay also. Reverb often takes a lot longer to generate a sale unless you lowball everyone else selling a similar guitar (which I've done). The nice thing about eBay is your guitar usually sells in a week or two, but the fees are just not worth it. Reverb has a more personal feel, and 3.5% was always a fair cut in my opinion. Glad to see eBay has matched Reverb on fees, but Its too late to get me back.

True, reverb probably takes a little longer, but I've had pretty good luck there. I just unloaded another Epiphone - IB64 Texan (I've got to update my sig). With a NH F50R, what do I need with another 6-string? msp_thumbup.gif

Archived