• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Best" Gibson SG?

#1 User is offline   Mercurine 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

Out of your opinion, what is the best Gibson SG? As in, best sound and quality. Price doesn't particularly matter, but if it is reasonably cheap, that's definitely a plus.

#2 User is offline   Stubert 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

For me it has to be the SG special. I just love the sound of the P90s. There is something more maleable and organic about P90s, I feel that humbuckers affect and dictate the way that you play, almost like an effects pedal whilst P90s allow you more freedom.
That may be just the poet in me coming out but I definitely feel that the P90 allow more expression.

#3 User is offline   hbomb76 

• SG "Historical Accuracy" Expert
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

The "best" of all time to me is the late-'63 to early '66 Standard, but that's neither cheap nor easy to come by in decent condition nowadays. Runners-up include the '99 SG '61 w/Vibrola and the mid-60's Juniors (again, both not cheap or plentiful). However, nowadays in order to get the best guitar for your money, my vote is the Angus signature model for style, finish, sound and playability. I know some people can't get over its "signature" status, much in the way a lot of snobs write off Epiphones because "they're not Gibsons". Most of the lesser (and even the higher-end) models just don't feel like they're worth what you pay for them. But it's a personal thing, and I always recommend getting a few different models in-hand to sample to make the right decision.

H-Bomb
The perfect SG reissue recipe (Gibson, I KNOW you can pull it off): Historic spec beveling paired with the thinner tapered horn tips featured on the 2000-2013 '61 Reissue and on the 2013 SG Original(and leave a little more on that bottom horn length to give it that true "vintage" semi-symmetrical illusion!); Offer them in a nice "new" deep cherry red (not "washed" or "faded", and with good filler & don't skimp on the clearcoat). Leave the slabby halfa$$ed-reissues to the copycat companies and start taking pride in REAL LOOKING REISSUES. Then I'm a customer again!

#4 User is offline   sok66 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

I'm assumimng you're talking about new production. For the money the '69-ish Standard is hard to beat, second place is the '61 Reissue. In an original, hmm....well, the original '61 - '64 Standard would be my pick, probably the latter because I never liked the "sideways" Vibrola.

Spend some time on eBay, there are lots of listings and great deals popping up all the time on SGs.

#5 User is offline   Mercurine 

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I was actually thinking about getting the Angus Sig SG. Didn't particularly like how his name was spelt "Anguz" on the guitar, but I heard it was a good SG nonetheless.

#6 User is offline   dem00n 

• Anti-EMG's
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

What H-bomb said.
Kill everyone who ever done me harm

#7 User is offline   MI_Canuck 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

very subjective... "Best" SG to me is my '98 SG Standard...
------------------------------------

'98 Gibson SG Standard - ebony

Fender Super Champ XD amp

------------------------------------

#8 User is offline   GuitarJunkie 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

[quote name='Stubert]For me it has to be the SG special. I just love the sound of the P90s. There is something more maleable and organic about P90s' date=' I feel that humbuckers affect and dictate the way that you play, almost like an effects pedal whilst P90s allow you more freedom.[/quote']
What Stubert said!!!

2007 SG '67 Special with P90s (was $1149 canadian, new)
Posted Image

2005 SG Classic ($899 US, when new. Two on ebay right now with "Buy it now" of $825 with gig bag, and $829 with hard case.)
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Dynadude 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'd have to go with the Specials also. Ya can't beat the growl of those P-90s with the mahogany body and neck.
1962 LP/SG Special - 1998 LP Studio DC W/EMG 81/85 pups - '98 Squier Fat Strat - '04 Hand Built Teleblaster W/Vintage Vibe pups - Hand Built Lap Steel W/Fender pups - Kona K2SB A/E Don't laugh, it sounds great!
'09 Fender Deluxe VM - Fender Sattelite - Marshall G80R CD - Fender Champion 600 - Orange Crush 10

#10 User is offline   Mercurine 

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Wow, really nice GuitarJunkie. I'll definitely take that one into consideration!

#11 User is offline   ninety1vee 

• SUSPENDED

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

it all depends on your taste, try some out
the other day i was at guitar center and this '61 reissue was amazing, but every other 61' they had blew.
personally, i like the current standards (i'd put a set of super distortions or JBs in it though)
go out and try some out
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   T50 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

I had SG Std, SG 61 RI and now a red Diablo.
I like my Diablo the best so far.

#13 User is offline   johnnyqb 

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I jus bought an '02 SG '61 Reissue, on-line, and am floored by it. The only other SGs I had played were in Guitar Center, and this '61 just blows their socks off. The former owner put in a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead pups and re-did all the pots too, so I am sure this has something to do with it. But the whole set up and ergonmic feel of this guitar is just outstanding. The neck just seems the perfect size coupled with the body to cause maxiumum ease and comfort playing and accessing the fretboard.

#14 User is offline   Kurt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

Since I donīt like to buy really old guitars, especially when theyīre more expensive than a new one would be, it can only be the Angus Young signature SG. In my opinion itīs the best SG Gibson offers at the moment. Best playability, good sound. The Angus pickup is underestimated. If Gibson would make them, my favourite SG would be the Angus with regular headstock inlay, Gibson engraving and all chrome hardware. And by the way that is what his trademark axe of the early days was like. And even if itīs not historically correct, Iīd like them to also offer this particular guitar with P90 option. These two would be my favourite SGs. And yes, this would lead me to buy another guitar - even if I donīt need another one really.

#15 User is offline   sgTime 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:46 AM

I agree, it does depend on taste, but what i would recommend doing is go to the store, get down an sg standard, an sg classic (if you can find 1) and a les paul studio and try them all out.

#16 User is offline   ALIEN8 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

special faded w/ ebony fretboard.

#17 User is offline   freddairy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

A used USA '61 RI is the best bang for the buck Gibson, or any other guitar you can buy. P90s are great, but at least for me I need a guitar with humbuckers more. So that brings it down to the Standard and 61 RI in my price range. The '61 has the one piece body and the cooler pick guard. Also that neck join on the '61 is excellent for playing up in the highest registers of the neck. I like the 57 humbuckers better than whatever it is they have stock on the Standard.

#18 User is offline   duane v 

• Advanced HACK!!!
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationsOcAL

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

I have a 2008 SG faded brown and a 197? SG200 walnut.... Both are completely stock and entirely different animals. But if I had to chose one over the other, I would take the SG200 because it has a deep tone, and that might be attributed on how the neck attaches to the body (further in). And the nylon bridge saddles.

But I do love them both.

Deer Pr00dunce

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   jameswithesg 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

if the 61 Reissue had an ebony fret board, and 24 frets......

oohhh man...... that would be the one

2005 Gibson SG 1961 reissue "Amalthea" custom 3 pickup, 57's at B and N, Dimarzio dualsound at the middle w/ coil tap and off/on, as well as lower pots than the originals
> crybaby wah
> boss super overdrive distortion
> boss dynamic envelope filter
> MXR phase 90
> digital delay
> Mesa Boogie mark series with E.Q. and reverb (the verb is ALWAYS on)

Epiphone AS-30 mandolin
> fender twin w/ rackmount head

#20 User is offline   SG dude 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

i'm sticking with the '68. heehee :-". i was just thinking if i could get my hands on one=p~ can any one tell me the differences between a '68 and a '69 standard (with the long vibrola's)?? any info would be great!

ps. sorry to stray.
SG dude.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users