Gibson Brands Forums

"Best" Gibson SG?

Mercurine

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it has to be the SG special. I just love the sound of the P90s. There is something more maleable and organic about P90s, I feel that humbuckers affect and dictate the way that you play, almost like an effects pedal whilst P90s allow you more freedom.

That may be just the poet in me coming out but I definitely feel that the P90 allow more expression.

The "best" of all time to me is the late-'63 to early '66 Standard, but that's neither cheap nor easy to come by in decent condition nowadays. Runners-up include the '99 SG '61 w/Vibrola and the mid-60's Juniors (again, both not cheap or plentiful). However, nowadays in order to get the best guitar for your money, my vote is the Angus signature model for style, finish, sound and playability. I know some people can't get over its "signature" status, much in the way a lot of snobs write off Epiphones because "they're not Gibsons". Most of the lesser (and even the higher-end) models just don't feel like they're worth what you pay for them. But it's a personal thing, and I always recommend getting a few different models in-hand to sample to make the right decision.

H-Bomb

I'm assumimng you're talking about new production. For the money the '69-ish Standard is hard to beat, second place is the '61 Reissue. In an original, hmm....well, the original '61 - '64 Standard would be my pick, probably the latter because I never liked the "sideways" Vibrola.

Spend some time on eBay, there are lots of listings and great deals popping up all the time on SGs.

For me it has to be the SG special. I just love the sound of the P90s. There is something more maleable and organic about P90s' date=' I feel that humbuckers affect and dictate the way that you play, almost like an effects pedal whilst P90s allow you more freedom.[/quote']

What Stubert said!!!

2007 SG '67 Special with P90s (was $1149 canadian, new)

sg67_005.jpg

2005 SG Classic ($899 US, when new. Two on ebay right now with "Buy it now" of $825 with gig bag, and $829 with hard case.)

sgcl01.jpg

I jus bought an '02 SG '61 Reissue, on-line, and am floored by it. The only other SGs I had played were in Guitar Center, and this '61 just blows their socks off. The former owner put in a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead pups and re-did all the pots too, so I am sure this has something to do with it. But the whole set up and ergonmic feel of this guitar is just outstanding. The neck just seems the perfect size coupled with the body to cause maxiumum ease and comfort playing and accessing the fretboard.

Since I don´t like to buy really old guitars, especially when they´re more expensive than a new one would be, it can only be the Angus Young signature SG. In my opinion it´s the best SG Gibson offers at the moment. Best playability, good sound. The Angus pickup is underestimated. If Gibson would make them, my favourite SG would be the Angus with regular headstock inlay, Gibson engraving and all chrome hardware. And by the way that is what his trademark axe of the early days was like. And even if it´s not historically correct, I´d like them to also offer this particular guitar with P90 option. These two would be my favourite SGs. And yes, this would lead me to buy another guitar - even if I don´t need another one really.

A used USA '61 RI is the best bang for the buck Gibson, or any other guitar you can buy. P90s are great, but at least for me I need a guitar with humbuckers more. So that brings it down to the Standard and 61 RI in my price range. The '61 has the one piece body and the cooler pick guard. Also that neck join on the '61 is excellent for playing up in the highest registers of the neck. I like the 57 humbuckers better than whatever it is they have stock on the Standard.

I have a 2008 SG faded brown and a 197? SG200 walnut.... Both are completely stock and entirely different animals. But if I had to chose one over the other, I would take the SG200 because it has a deep tone, and that might be attributed on how the neck attaches to the body (further in). And the nylon bridge saddles.

But I do love them both.

Sorry I haven't been replying! This crappy computer has been on the fritz lately. ](*' date=') Anyway, I think I've gotten it narrowed down an Sg Standard and the Angus Young SG. Big time AC/DC fan, so I'm leaning a bit toward the AY SG.[/quote']

You won't be sorry with the AY. Some people don't like the headstock decal and the vibrola engraving, but all in all, it's the Gibson I play the most and I'd put it up there with my Historic in terms of quality and sound.

H-Bomb

Any SG with P-90's!!!!! The Junior, Special, or Classic doesn't matter. There is nothing like a good p-90. The jangly bridge slightly pushed...the vibey clean rhythm pick up....the in your face I mean business bridge with dirt.... the fuzz rhythm driven sound. The SG's with humbuckers are nice as well don't get me wrong but its just a different sound.

You won't be sorry with the AY. Some people don't like the headstock decal and the vibrola engraving, but all in all, it's the Gibson I play the most and I'd put it up there with my Historic in terms of quality and sound.

I think that's what I'll go with. Granted, I still have a while before I get the money. Most Gibsons cost a pretty penny, lol.

Archived