Gibson Brands Forums

My new buy: Les Paul Silverburst

greghm88

So I bought this one the past week end at the Pawn shop. I am not sure it is what it looks like as I have not been able to find much on internet about these specs. I have the original model no: LPSTGASB____ ?

Any thoughts about what it is exactly ? I am betting on a modified Studio.

Apart from that, I have already played with it a couple of hours and it sounds awesome.

post-85528-099914300 1495548334_thumb.jpg

post-85528-065989200 1495548340_thumb.jpg

post-85528-022447300 1495548348_thumb.jpg

post-85528-020548700 1495548419_thumb.jpg

It looks to me that the only original part is the base body itself. Truss rod cover is new and it's not a Custom made by Gibson Custom Shop or doesn't appear to be. It looks like a souped up Studio. I'd guess the pickups and pickup rings are all new and I've not seen a three pickup Studio. There's a switch installed near the volume and tone knobs. The whammy bar isn't like anything I've seen. I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure they only put Floyd Rose or Bigsby on Gibsons and certainly not any Studio I've seen. It's not stock but if it plays and sounds good and you're happy with it, good buy! I've put a lot of money into less expensive guitars before to get them the way I want them. Les Paul himself certainly used to do a lot of modifications himself. If this was built at the factory like this, it would be unlike any I've ever seen.

Do you think they ever built that ?

Nope. As rct has already said.

I am by no means an expert on deciphering nomenclature but as far as I can understand the tag line it reads;

LPSTGASBCH1

Les Paul Studio (GA?) Silver-Burst Chrome Hardware 1 (i.e. not a factory 'second').

All the mods seem to have been done very well indeed so if it all works as it should and it sounds as good as it looks then why worry?

Nice guitar whichever way you look at it.

I trust you have many years of fun with her!

Pip.

Welcome.

That model number Googles to https://uedata.amazon.com/Gibson-Studio-Electric-Silverburst-Hardware/dp/B002FU1OR6 . . Scroll down the page to "Product information" and you'll see your model number listed. It's was a regular production Studio LP that originally came with two pups - 490R/498T.

It's got a Stetsbar trem on it.

Interesting rig. Looks like the mods were nicely done.

Congrats. . B)

Welcome.

That model number Googles to https://uedata.amazon.com/Gibson-Studio-Electric-Silverburst-Hardware/dp/B002FU1OR6 . . Scroll down the page to "Product information" and you'll see your model number listed. It's was a regular production Studio LP that originally came with two pups - 490R/498T.

It's got a Stetsbar trem on it.

Interesting rig. Looks like the mods were nicely done.

Congrats. . B)

I wonder if the fretboard was also stained a darker brown to make it look like ebony. It sure is darker than the pictured guitar of that model.

I also agree that the mods do look pretty good. Neat guitar.

I wonder if the fretboard was also stained a darker brown to make it look like ebony. It sure is darker than the pictured guitar of that model.

Hello.

These Silverburst Studios came with ebony boards.

B.R... Bence

Hello.

These Silverburst Studios came with ebony boards.

B.R... Bence

Thanks guys for all the feedback received. I am just back from a trip so I did not have the time to reply. I am new to Gibson as I have always been playing with custom ESP Horizon.

I agree with the general conclusion here, that it is a modified Les Paul Studio. The paint has been done over the holes when they removed the pick protection.

I just wonder how they manage to add the third central mic. My only concern is that it would be a Chinese copy if they do these ones with 3 mics.

The whammy bar is a stetsbar and it does look genuine.

I had a look at the box behind the knobs and that is not done as nicely as an original. I did not have the time to figure out what is that extra switch ... it sounds a bit like a flanger.

I am not good enough to recognize ebony by looking at it.

EDIT: Just did a bit of research to see the difference and I will check later.

Thanks guys for all the feedback received. I am just back from a trip so I did not have the time to reply. I am new to Gibson as I have always been playing with custom ESP Horizon.

I agree with the general conclusion here, that it is a modified Les Paul Studio. The paint has been done over the holes when they removed the pick protection.

I just wonder how they manage to add the third central mic. My only concern is that it would be a Chinese copy if they do these ones with 3 mics.

The whammy bar is a stetsbar and it does look genuine.

I had a look at the box behind the knobs and that is not done as nicely as an original. I did not have the time to figure out what is that extra switch ... it sounds a bit like a flanger.

I am not good enough to recognize ebony by looking at it.

EDIT: Just did a bit of research to see the difference and I will check later.

It looks like fairly good work. They would have had to route out the middle section for middle pickup and routed into the controls cavity.

The switch, if it sounds like a flanger, is probably a phase switch, taking the pickups out of phase, if it sounds like a flanger. Unique guitar, heavily modified but if you're happy the way it plays and sounds, that's all that matters. Lots of people modify their guitars into what they want.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived