Gibson Brands Forums

Rediscovering Your Guitars

SteveFord

I recently got the bug to buy an SG so went out to the local Guitar Center and tried a couple of them and none of them really did it for me. They just didn't feel right, none of them screamed Buy Me, Buy ME!!!

Dejected, I rode home and decided to dig through the closet and pull out my satin ES-335.

I hadn't played it in so long that it was like buying a "new" guitar again. Now I remember why I liked this guitar so much, it has such a nice neck and the lines of it are so attractive...

Not really much of a point to this other than to say I'm enjoying getting reacquainted with instruments that end up getting stashed away for one reason or another.

Good way to rid yourself of GAS without spending any additional money until another one turns up that you simply must purchase.

Got my eye on another Firebird or two but not today.

Time to play an old favorite.

I know exactly what you mean, Steve.

If I've been on a LP run for quite a few weeks and pick up the Strat it's like 'WOW!' all over again - and vice versa, of course.

I find it also freshens up the style of music one plays - for a (very!) simplistic example; Green/Kossoff/early Clapton with the LP and Derek&Dominos/JJCale/Knopfler with the Strat and so on. Although to swap these styles around is also particularly enjoyable!

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Maybe next week I'll dig out the Les Paul, I haven't really played that one in around three years and it's a really nice guitar, too.

It's always surprising how something so small can weigh so much!

Even though I have not been looking for the next one, I have similar tale in that I pulled my Elitist Chet Atkins out of the case Sunday morning, and glad I did.

a very warm sounding, great playing instrument. the semi 17 hollow body is hefty but it's really a nice player. I also don't know why I don't play this one more often.

I find that rotating the guitars is always pleasurable. It is as Steve says, like having a 'new' guitar again, albeit briefly.

In some ways its better than new because your own guitars are played in & properly set up the way you want them.

Having said that I am at the moment sorely tempted to find me a Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz. Don't know what that is? Best leave it that way! [-X

My Flying V's feel neglected since I've been playing the Les Pauls so much. Before that, I only had the three Flying V's to rotate between, with the 81 V getting the most play until I got the 2007 Faded. It's definitely like getting a new guitar when I switch them. Even though they are set up similarly, the necks are different on all four Gibsons, the sound is certainly different and the shape goes without description. I pretty much only played the 81 V for 30+ years, so the other V and the two Les Pauls are a big change for me.

1495557251[/url]' post='1857482']

I find that rotating the guitars is always pleasurable. It is as Steve says, like having a 'new' guitar again, albeit briefly.

In some ways its better than new because your own guitars are played in & properly set up the way you want them.

I've been doing that same thing. I rotate playing 3 guitars. A Gretsch, a Fender, and a Les Paul. Sometimes all 3 within a few hours. I've put the Gold Top away in its case as to keep it fresh like New condition and one day I'll take it out and play it. It's been several months now since I've played it last. I may wait a few more to get that New Guitar feeling lol.

Yeah, I get it, too, Steve! Have that experience every time I play one of my guitars, that's been

a "case queen" for much too long. [blush] I DO play all my guitars, eventually...but, I seem to get stuck

on 1 or 2 (except the Ric 12's, one is always out), for a time. Then, when I play one that has been

cased, I too, fall right back "in love" with it, an remember WHY I bought it, in the first place! [thumbup][biggrin]

As to SG's...try a "used" but not abused 2013 model! I sure do LOVE mine, and they were the first one's

I purchased, after a 40 year SG drought! [biggrin] Haven't seen the need, or desire, really, to get any other's.

Now, if Gibson USA went back to early '60's spec's, on a Junior or Special...I could be convinced

to buy one of each! [biggrin]

CB

For about the first 11 years, I was pretty good about playing all my guitars more or less equally. Then I spent about two years playing bass almost exclusively. I then went back to primarily playing guitar for a few months before medical issues and multiple surgeries has kept me from playing for almost a year. I'm hoping that within the next two weeks or so I will be able to begin reacquainting myself with all my guitars and basses again. That will include my ES-335, cheez. ;)

Rediscovering them is one of the joys of having several guitars. I got a new LP in January so have been playing it the most. Then one day I pulled out my 336 and it was like the first time I played it [drool] Really fun to rediscover it. One of these days I'm going to have to pull out my L5 and rediscover that too [laugh]

1495577533[/url]' post='1857545']

For about the first 11 years, I was pretty good about playing all my guitars more or less equally. Then I spent about two years playing bass almost exclusively. I then went back to primarily playing guitar for a few months before medical issues and multiple surgeries has kept me from playing for almost a year. I'm hoping that within the next two weeks or so I will be able to begin reacquainting myself with all my guitars and basses again. That will include my ES-335, cheez. ;)

Never have played a Base. I like them and have heard some great base players but I don't know how they even tune, let alone play one. Funny too because I bought a 12 string acoustic 3 years ago and thought I really wanted it. Of course I played it for awhile being new but I haven't touched it in 2 years now. Sits in its case. Anyway, the last time I got it out something was wrong. It had a dead spot from the 7th fret to the 12th fret. So the warranty was still good and I took it back to GC and they just gave me a brand new guitar rather then making me wait for it to be fixed. It had a bent and twisted neck. It played fine on the first 5 frets where I normally played it in the beginning so I didn't notice it for a year. So I detuned this new one and put it away.

I just recently bought a "bass," just to mess around on! It wasn't expensive (Squier Bass VI),

but it's very well made, and sounds Great! It's been more FUN, to play, and work out bass riffs

on. Plus, it's a 30" (short) scale, which I really wanted, as the 34" scale seems impossibly long,

to me! [tongue][biggrin]

Someday, I'd like to add a SG Bass, or EB-3, IF I ever find one, that's "reasonable" in price.

I know..."Good Luck!" :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

I just recently bought a "bass," just to mess around on! It wasn't expensive (Squier Bass VI),

but it's very well made, and sounds Great! It's been more FUN, to play, and work out bass riffs

on. Plus, it's a 30" (short) scale, which I really wanted, as the 34" scale seems impossibly long,

to me! [tongue][biggrin]

Someday, I'd like to add a SG Bass, or EB-3, IF I ever find one, that's "reasonable" in price.

CB

I have 2 bass. They are for recording only. However, when I practice a bassline ahead hitting record, I know when I’m ready when I feel the ‘bassist’s groove’. By that I mean playing right on the beat. Never experience that with a normal guitar.

I also have to keep it simple. If I get ambitious, I lose that feel.

Never have played a Base. I like them and have heard some great base players but I don't know how they even tune, let alone play one. Funny too because I bought a 12 string acoustic 3 years ago and thought I really wanted it. Of course I played it for awhile being new but I haven't touched it in 2 years now. Sits in its case. Anyway, the last time I got it out something was wrong. It had a dead spot from the 7th fret to the 12th fret. So the warranty was still good and I took it back to GC and they just gave me a brand new guitar rather then making me wait for it to be fixed. It had a bent and twisted neck. It played fine on the first 5 frets where I normally played it in the beginning so I didn't notice it for a year. So I detuned this new one and put it away.

Physically, I'm probably more of a natural bass player (6'6" tall, long arms, big hands and fat fingers). A long scale (34") bass feels very comfortable in my hands. Many six string guitars are too small and are uncomfortable for me to play. My ES-335 is probably the most comfortable because of its size. I had a Gibson Firebird VII that had a longer body and was pretty comfortable.

Since I bought a 7 string guitar awhile back and now feel comfortable navigating my way around the low B string, my next challenge will probably be taking up a 5 and/or 6 string bass.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with your 12 string, but glad to hear things ultimately worked out to your satisfaction.

to me! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I've been considering getting one of those Squires for recording. Very cool!

I'm thinning the herd to the point that I don't have to become re-acquainted with an old friend, but this sort of thing is going to happen with my Pathfinder VOX I bet, once I've had a long run with the Vibro Champ. That Pathfinder sounds gnarly. After all that cleanliness, I'm gonna need some filth.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering getting one of those Squires for recording. Very cool!

I'm thinning the herd to the point that I don't have to become re-acquainted with an old friend, but this sort of thing is going to happen with my Pathfinder VOX I bet, once I've had a long run with the Vibro Champ. That Pathfinder sounds gnarly. After all that cleanliness, I'm gonna need some filth.

GO For it, Izzy! They're really quite nice...at least the one I got is! It even had a figured (tiger striped, on the back) maple neck!

Haven't seen one like that, since! Guess I got Lucky?! [biggrin]

As to reconnecting with guitars one owns, I did that, just yesterday, and am having a Blast, playing it! It really does

have "That Great Gretsch Sound!" Duo-Jet TSP I've had it, since 2004, when I bought it new. It was considered the "George Harrison"

model, prior to bringing out his signature version. TV Jones Dynasonic pickups, and all. Great "round" sound, much like

a warm "Telecaster," but still a bit different.

DSC_0031-1.jpg

This PM, a got out another of my SG's, that had been cased, for awhile! What a Great Guitar, it is, as well! I really need to

do this a LOT more often. [blush][biggrin]

(Pictured, the day I brought it home)

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

CB

....I bought a 12 string acoustic 3 years ago.... I took it back to GC and they just gave me a brand new guitar... So I detuned this new one and put it away.

Man, I break out the jumbo Guild 12 daily. If it's not that, it's the 6-string jumbo Guild F50R. Real GAS antidotes. Still downsizing.... except for the Lennon sig, the LP....

Man, I break out the jumbo Guild 12 daily. If it's not that, it's the 6-string jumbo Guild F50R. Real GAS antidotes. Still downsizing.... except for the Lennon sig, the LP....

A Guild 512 12-string is on my "Bucket List," as well! Love 'em!! [thumbup]

CB

Archived