Gibson Brands Forums

Still, Not Much Of A Market.....

Murph

I bought a new truck last month, and it came with 1 year free SiriousXM.

It only took a few days to realize why I had cancelled it on my wife's last car after a few years. Even the new Beatles channel got old pretty quick, I mean we have all heard this stuff a zillion times.

Deep Tracks is getting redundant after a few weeks, the Coffee House gets too Pop sounding, the Bluegrass channel is too "strick", the Outlaw stuff is still a bit goofy EVEN BY MURPH STANDARDS......... I catch myself on the Grateful Dead channel more than I thought.

You would think there would be a market for Pure Acoustic stuff that is mature and tasty.

Good man, Murph! Hope you send in your complaints. I'm a dedicated Sirius listener, and I flood them all the time with complaints of redundancy. They have access to everything and play only a small body of work. I also like Underground Garage but the DJ's are especially wordy and full of crap. Deep Tracks gets waaay too deep. Meg Griffin has to back off, but she's been into obscure playlists since her early days on WRNW.

I was harping Outlaw Country about how bored I was with the same old Johnny Cash songs, whose music I always hated. I may be imagining this, but they seemed to ramp up the JC and I got an extra dose of those dumb songs for the next 2 weeks or so. Nevertheless, I came from the point of view that if he is so revered, why aren't the programmers digging deeper into his discography. It seems I'm hearing a few different songs being thrown in now, and it makes me think feedback eventually gets through.

I work alone and drag my radio everywhere. If I'm ever stuck without it and have to rely on terrestrial radio, I soon remember why it's so precious to my sanity.

A one year trial is unusual, in the past I have only seen 6 months or 3 months. I'm pretty happy with them however, although I don't listen to the music channels as much as the news. I don't have cable and don't watch TV (aside from a large library of movies on my media server), so Sirius is a good way to keep up with current events.

I purchased the lifetime subscription before the two satellite stations merged. I still love having it at the house and in the vehicle. I can always change the station....mostly I listen to 60's, 70's, 80's and Elvis. But I do like the new Beatles channel. I just keep changing channels.....better variety than what's on regular FM.

I know,

All of it it gets same ol, same ol, after a while.

Pandora is decent but that gets tiresome too.

Spotify seems to be the one for me. you pick your own play lists.. Lots of stuff out there.. just takes some time to search out the tunes / albums you want..

I've got the TuneIn app on my phone and use it when I go to sleep or when I'm mowing the lawn. When I sleep, it's mostly Art Bell. When I mow (3 acres), it's either Bluegrass Radio or a UK based station called Rockabilly Radio. Both get me going in a good way. If I still smoked, I'd be chain smoking, gritting my teeth and mowing with a crazed countenance.

I can't imagine paying to listen to the radio. I'll have none of it.

I don't listen to music from any source any longer......haven't for many years. Shame on me, huh. If I hear a song on TV or while out shopping that I'd like to take a run at I do go listen to that, but most of the cover songs I do randomly pop into my head. I much prefer to make music rather than passively listen to it. Yeah.....I know......shame on me.

I was an early XM adopter and it was an enjoyable alternative to FM.

Cancelled years ago but still have the first generation hardware in my (now) old truck. Activated it 4 years ago for a summer camping trip with my son. Cancelled after the trip. They quit charging but I never lost access. I'll turn on Bluesville once in a while but that's about all.

I don't listen to music from any source any longer......haven't for many years. Shame on me, huh. If I hear a song on TV or while out shopping that I'd like to take a run at I do go listen to that, but most of the cover songs I do randomly pop into my head. I much prefer to make music rather than passively listen to it. Yeah.....I know......shame on me.

This is me, too--my other source of "new" is from the good folks on this forum. Otherwise, I listen to what I have, with an occasional test run on NPR's First Listen.

When I pick up my guitar, seems I'm listening for what it wants to play.

And...no commercials!

I'm always looking for music that is new to me, old or new. I subscribe to Spotify and use it to browse through various categories etc. I also read a lot of reviews of new stuff, in magazines or online. Whenever I come across something that sounds interesting, I look it up on Spotify. If I like it, I buy the CD, then rip it to high resolution lossless FLAC-files and put it on my portable music player. I either hook the player up to my old fashioned amplifier with floor speakers, or use it with one of my many pairs of good headphones I have accumulated over the years (headphones are are a big hobby of mine, along with guitars).

The last CD I bought was Anne's, and I'm awaiting its arrival from the U.S. any day soon. Looking forward to that one, Anne! Another band I'm interested in right now is The Wild Reeds. I listened to their Tiny Desk concert and thought it was incredible. Have a look here:

Lars

No, no shame on you. I don't have time for new music, I'm still enjoying them live records from that 74 - 77 period in there. I get paid well to play all that stuff, and I still love it all.

I do like the satellite machine in the rental car, like this fall when we cruise out to Vegas, Death Valley, DisneyLand, San Francisco, then Yellowstone for a month or so. I listen to HitsOne and The Highway and whatever other absolutely new stuff so I can hear what they are doing in the studios these days.

rct

I've found lots of new and new-to-me music through Pandora, and sometimes through the random stuff YouTube throws up. Even though I've only been playing about 10 years, I'd be sick of playing the same old stuff all the time if I didn't add new songs to the mix. For playing out as a cover band, since it is a sad but true fact that audiences mostly want to hear familiar songs, not having some new (& newish) music in the set seems like a limitation on the audience demographic that will enjoy the band. With the old stuff, I enjoy finding classics that can be re-imagined.

I've found lots of new and new-to-me music through Pandora, and sometimes through the random stuff YouTube throws up. Even though I've only been playing about 10 years, I'd be sick of playing the same old stuff all the time if I didn't add new songs to the mix. For playing out as a cover band, since it is a sad but true fact that audiences mostly want to hear familiar songs, not having some new (& newish) music in the set seems like a limitation on the audience demographic that will enjoy the band. With the old stuff, I enjoy finding classics that can be re-imagined.

What is sad about an audience wanting what they want to hear, willing to pay to hear it whilst quaffing a few, and dancing and carrying on like adults used to, while enjoying hearing what they want to hear?

rct

What is sad about an audience wanting what they want to hear, willing to pay to hear it whilst quaffing a few, and dancing and carrying on like adults used to, while enjoying hearing what they want to hear?

rct

You said "sad." I said "limitation." Not at all the same thing. Imagine the reverse situation. You're in the audience, the band is playing, the 20 and 30 something year olds are having a great time, and you don't know any of the music that's being played. Then the band launches into a song you know and love. That's gonna light you up, right? (This is not actual you, but hypothetical non-musician audience member you.)

Archived