Gibson Brands Forums

NGD "1968" Limited Edition J45 Ebony

Dash_Starkiller

Thanks cowboy. I've ALWAYS loved the 45s with the big pickguards. Because I also love country westerns. I've played the rosewood saddle on that old LG0 and I really liked it to tell you the truth. I think that using a ceramic now a days is different and that was a reason for purchase for me. I want a sounds like....well close to that old beatles acoustic. Almost got a 160e but really had no use for the pickup in it!

Yeah, I don't care much for electronics in an acoustic guitar. Keep telling myself it'd be wise to have one acoustic/electric just in case, but would never consider modifying one for that purpose. So far, I get by with a soundhole pickup just fine.

For everyone that wanted to hear a sample of the 45, here are a few recordings I just did. I tried to record what it would sound like strummed, finger picked, and individual strings played. Please excuse my awful playing haha. Recorded directly into my phone using the mic. Strings are Martin Retro Monel Lights (12s). Pick is an orange dunlop .60mm.

https://soundcloud.com/dash-starkiller/sets/j45

Nice guitar, Dash. It's hard to beat a nice J-45. That one sounds great and looks pretty cool too. Your playing ain't bad either. Well done all the way around!

Hey Dash_Sk - and congs on that stylish hypercühl night-slope.

I'm kind of over my period with black acoustics, but this one rocks, , , including the guard.

Booooob, , , hehe, , , yea in my interpretation it's a finger activating the 6 strings - red spot representing the touch.

Regarding the saddle, I'm sure you know this is a tusq version of the original white burned clay.

Might sound satisfying, but I highly recommend you to find the real thing and slip it down fast.

At least for the experiment, , , though those ceremics, which now and again show up on the Bay usually are quite peppered. Huge change ahead.

Play us a tune - and be glad

pardon, , , just saw the link and listen while writing. .

Tusq, eh? Interesting-

Thanks for doing that demo. . . the guitar does sound very J45ish, and should be a fine complement for vocals- A penny for every person who couldn’t help but chime in when you were going through Norwegian Wood. Enjoy.

Hey Dash_Sk - and congs on that stylish hypercühl night-slope.

I'm kind of over my period with black acoustics, but this one rocks, , , including the guard.

Booooob, , , hehe, , , yea in my interpretation it's a finger activating the 6 strings - red spot representing the touch.

Regarding the saddle, I'm sure you know this is a tusq version of the original white burned clay.

Might sound satisfying, but I highly recommend you to find the real thing and slip it down fast.

At least for the experiment, , , though those ceremics, which now and again show up on the Bay usually are quite peppered. Huge change ahead.

Play us a tune - and be glad

pardon, , , just saw the link and listen while writing. .

Wow I had no idea it was tusq. Thanks for the info! Now you have me wanting to search for a real vintage one...

Wow I had no idea it was tusq. Thanks for the info! Now you have me wanting to search for a real vintage one...

You can see its mini-grainy surface on the close-up.

I swear to the ceramics and have experimented with a lot of adj. saddles/inserts over the years

bone

tusq

original rosewood

original cearamic (now in the 1963 and 68 square SJ's)

rosewood insert w. ordinary sized bone saddle (now in the 1959 J-45)

old vase ivory (it's in my 1965 Country Western and they blend like butter'n'toast)

, , , , and this one, , , my own invention crafted by a guitar-doc not far from here - http://oi294.photobu...TwinSaddle2.jpg

I really dig the genuine porcelain and sure, , , see if you can find one. It's something else, , , and much closer to the classic flavors you seem to cherish.

One member recently said it was like a bit reverb is added - maybe, , , or should we say a certain extra cling - plus an extremely lush bass-timbre.

Why Bozeman don't follow the retro-concept through is hard to understand. Presumably a Q about cash.

Have fun

You can see its mini-grainy surface on the close-up.

I swear to the ceramics and have experimented with a lot of adj. saddles/inserts over the years

bone

tusq

original rosewood

original cearamic (now in the 1963 and 68 square SJ's)

rosewood insert w. ordinary sized bone saddle (now in the 1959 J-45)

old vase ivory (it's in my 1965 Country Western and they blend like butter'n'toast)

, , , , and this one, , , my own invention crafted by a guitar-doc not far from here - http://oi294.photobu...TwinSaddle2.jpg

I really dig the genuine porcelain and sure, , , see if you can find one. It's something else, , , and much closer to the classic flavors you seem to cherish.

One member recently said it was like a bit reverb is added - maybe, , , or should we say a certain extra cling - plus an extremely lush bass-timbre.

Why Bozeman don't follow the retro-concept through is hard to understand. Presumably a Q about cash.

Have fun

Thank you for all the great info Eminor. you've opened my eyes to all the options haha. I've actually seen the pic of your saddle online before as I was researching saddles at one point.

I thought you'd missed my earlier reference to scoring an original ceramic saddle, but wasn't sure....😒

Sorry cowboy! I did see that. Both you guys have really got me thinking of ways to "chase that tone." After listening to some recordings yesterday I did notice one thing, fingerpicking is NOT as loud on this guitar compared to even my parlor which has a bone saddle.

I'm a ceramic saddle fan all the way. Have never liked the tone of rosewood saddles - not at all impressed with Tusq on the vintage guitars - haven't got around to trying bone, but looking forward to it. If you happen to accumulate an original ceramic, it's important to have the metal crossbar that goes under it so it doesn't break under string tension. I don't know if yours has one of those w/its Tusq saddle or not.

I'm a ceramic saddle fan all the way. Have never liked the tone of rosewood saddles - not at all impressed with Tusq on the vintage guitars - haven't got around to trying bone, but looking forward to it. If you happen to accumulate an original ceramic, it's important to have the metal crossbar that goes under it so it doesn't break under string tension. I don't know if yours has one of those w/its Tusq saddle or not.

I've seen old saddles with that metal bar but I'm not actually sure if mine has it or not. Maybe next string change I will take it out and look. From what I understand certain "mid/upper range" import guitars all come with bone nuts amd saddles. All the recording kings I've had did. But I imagine they aren't the same quality as an american counterpart. I did notice the J45TV had a very worn looking nut and saddle. Perhaps to add to the vintage look and feel?

Congrats on your new guitar.

Like Old Cowboy, I hated that look in 1968. But there is a nostalgia thing now kicking in. Whether you would have liked an original '68 I do not have a clue. Not only a much skimpier neck carve and nut width but heavier bracing (done to try and stave off warranty issues).

The metal saddles you mentioned (which were often just fret wire) was not used on 1960s Gibsons. It was common as all get out on many pre-War guitars though. Here is my Regal Jumbo 12 with the metal saddles as I first found it.

Regal12String-II004_zpsa4d65dd6.jpg

Another fan of the ceramic saddle here.

In fact, I don't even mind the plastic bridges if they're structurally stable, but it must be in combo with the ceramic saddle in order to produce that distinct tone. I've had a number of them, but currently only one on my '66 Epi FT-45n Cortez. There's a metallic & sort of brittle overtone to the sound that I find to be very pleasing.

I've mentioned in the past how the adjustable saddle sets up something akin to a mini-archtop bridge, with string vibrations passing through the metal posts before reaching the body. Even more so than a rosewood bridge with the adjustable saddle, the plastic bridge is essentially nothing but a shell-like frame for the metal structure & ceramic saddle. Even the strings, if set properly into the bridgeplate, minimally need the bridge+bridgepins to remain in place.

Of course the body still has to be a good example of the breed. Given that, it can all add up to an instrument with a unique and quite desirable sound.

Archived