Gibson Brands Forums

NGD "1968" Limited Edition J45 Ebony

Dash_Starkiller

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd share my newest guitar with you all. While I've had a few Gibson electrics before, and a nice little '67 LG0 (which, while a fun little guitar, was nothing spectacular) this is my first real "good" acoustic. I've had many through out the years, 71 Guild D25, and a bunch of recording kings (still own a ROS 627), but nothing compares to this. The J45 was my dream guitar. It's the ultimate acoustic to me. So I finally had the chance to purchase one. I did not want any electronics in it and wanted a vintage style. I originally purchased a used True Vintage from guitar center but it was a mess. Binding discolored and cracked and other issues. Returned it and purchased this online from the fine folks at Rainbow Guitars in Arizona I believe. It is a dream to play and a dream to own. I know the ceramic bridge is not looked highly upon but that was a main reason I purchased it. I like the jangly tone haha. I use Martin retro monel strings as well.

5nhuGOH.jpg

iQj7Vyj.jpg

tcZbQdv.jpg

TUe3hBd.jpg

That's pretty cool. I bet it doesn't have a 1 9/16" nut to go with all those 1968 features, however.

Probably just as well for most folks.

A 1968 probably would have had a belly-down bridge with a rosewood adjustable saddle, but so what?

The boob logo rides again!

That's pretty cool. I bet it doesn't have a 1 9/16" nut to go with all those 1968 features, however.

Probably just as well for most folks.

A 1968 probably would have had a belly-down bridge with a rosewood adjustable saddle, but so what?

The boob logo rides again!

Haha no it has a modern sized 1.725 width nut. Which is great.

Congrats and welcome aboard! That particular reissue really caught my eye in the red color they make it in.

Like those monel strings? I'm really liking them on my 45 as well.......tone as dry as Death Valley, right up my alley!

Congrats and welcome aboard! That particular reissue really caught my eye in the red color they make it in.

Like those monel strings? I'm really liking them on my 45 as well.......tone as dry as Death Valley, right up my alley!

Hey thanks for the welcome! And yes I use them on all my acoustics. Once I started using them I could not go back to using bronze.

Quite the unique guitar- that '68 Sonic pickguard is seldom seen. You "believe" you got it from Rainbow in AZ? Hopefully, that's because you've had the guitar for a while now, and not because it just came in on the noon stage; currently it's 102°F/38.9°C, 11% humidity in Arizona, which would explain that washboard appearance in the first photo. If that's the case, it wouldn't need Monels to sound dry - let's be careful with that first nice acoustic!

Enjoy that cool new J-45 w/ ADJ ; of course we'd love to hear it (!)

Quite the unique guitar- that '68 Sonic pickguard is seldom seen. You "believe" you got it from Rainbow in AZ? Hopefully, that's because you've had the guitar for a while now, and not because it just came in on the noon stage; currently it's 102°F/38.9°C, 11% humidity in Arizona, which would explain that washboard appearance in the first photo. If that's the case, it wouldn't need Monels to sound dry - let's be careful with that first nice acoustic!

Enjoy that cool new J-45 w/ ADJ ; of course we'd love to hear it (!)

Hey 62, I did for sure get it from Rainbow haha, I was just unsure if they are in Arizona or somewhere else. I've had it for a month plus now. Do you think it needs to be hydrated more? I keep it in the case all the time. I live in GA so it's decently humid over here. Any tips?

Initially, just keep an eye on the guitar and try to be aware of the actual room humidity where you keep it most of the time - 45% is considered by many to be about ideal. Great looking instrument, by the way!

It's funny. . . for those of us who like old guitars, and were around in 1968, the pickguard is very cool from a historic perspective. The black and white color combination is also drawing from a Gibson look from the 1930's. Who knows, maybe taking a fresh look at it without considering the past, the feeling might be different.

As far as humidification- yeah, "Georgia; you might be ok" ; ). But too much humidity can also cause problems. Yes, 45% would be safe. Start by keeping a humidity gauge near the guitar. The Caliber IV is used by cigar aficionados and acoustic guitar people as well. For a few $ more, a calibration kit is good to help you believe what the meter is telling you. Dry guitars sound great. . . just before they implode.

[glare] Hey now. It's not yours...........and there's not much call to go insulting a man's guitar.

I agree.

I actually LOVE that pickguard. Without it, it just looks like any other Ebony J-45.

Congrats on a very unique and beautiful guitar.

Love it! The sonic boom pickguard is super cool in my book, as is the ADJ bridge. I had an ADJ setup on my '67 J45 but made myself an insert with a bone saddle to see what difference it made. It's certainly different without the adjustable setup, but I liked the way it was originally just fine.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes! I welcome all opinions, that's what a forum is for! I know the late 60s were not the most desirable years for the old gibson acoustics, but I chose this guitar because to me it was a vintage callback but with the modern advancements. I know you guys wanna hear a sound clip. As soo. As I get home from work I'll post one.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes! I welcome all opinions, that's what a forum is for! I know the late 60s were not the most desirable years for the old gibson acoustics, but I chose this guitar because to me it was a vintage callback but with the modern advancements. I know you guys wanna hear a sound clip. As soon as I get home from work I'll post one.

If you ever have the opportunity to score an original ceramic saddle, I'd be curious to know how it affects the tone and volume. The wider neck is definitely an improvement from my perspective. Some '68 guitars were issued with the upward bridge (like yours) until the factory used them up. About the pickguard, I have a sort of 'then and now' point of view. Hated the look back in the 60's. At this time, though, it imparts a bit of nostalgia that makes it more agreeable. The white on black contrast is striking, to mention the obvious. As mentioned previously, it harks back to the 1930's, although from a different model and with a different shape. All in all, I'll bet it's a good'n and you'll come to like it even more as you spend more time together.

If you ever have the opportunity to score an original ceramic saddle, I'd be curious to know how it affects the tone and volume. The wider neck is definitely an improvement from my perspective. Some '68 guitars were issued with the upward bridge (like yours) until the factory used them up. About the pickguard, I have a sort of 'then and now' point of view. Hated the look back in the 60's. At this time, though, it imparts a bit of nostalgia that makes it more agreeable. The white on black contrast is striking, to mention the obvious. As mentioned previously, it harks back to the 1930's, although from a different model and with a different shape. All in all, I'll bet it's a good'n and you'll come to like it even more as you spend more time together.

Thanks cowboy. I've ALWAYS loved the 45s with the big pickguards. Because I also love country westerns. I've played the rosewood saddle on that old LG0 and I really liked it to tell you the truth. I think that using a ceramic now a days is different and that was a reason for purchase for me. I want a sounds like....well close to that old beatles acoustic. Almost got a 160e but really had no use for the pickup in it!

Archived