Gibson Brands Forums

Strat project.............yup, it got weird!

NHTom

So a while back, I picked up a used Highway One strat as sort of a mod platform.

I didn't like the stock sound.....which is strange because I have an American Special that I love and I thought they were pretty much the same guitar. I tried a few different pickup combinations and nothing really grabbed me.

I saw a loaded pickguard on a local music site.......with very "un-strat" like Mini humbuckers..........

All I can say is Oh, The Twang!

HWY1_zpshnleqxox.jpg

It is a VERY different sound. Tons of tele-like twang. Great spank on cleans........mild grit. Almost like a gretsh kind of feel or something.

Always nice to find a new tool in the box.

NHTom

Cool! [thumbup] I love a good Strat and I love mini-humbuckers but I've never tried them together. Assume it's a 3 way switch? Maybe a sound clip if you get a chance?

The wiring is a bit over the top..............lol.

5 way switch......

1=bridge humbucker

2= both pickups/outer coils

3= both pickups/humbucker

4= both pickups/inner coils

5= neck humbucker

There is also a phase switch for 2/4

and a coil split switch on 1/5

master volume only......

Like I said.....it got weird........lmao.

NHTom

I really do like the look of that! V. Nice indeed!

Oddly enough a Strat with 'buckers is, for me, anathema but those mini-hums (SD's?) look right at home there. They look Perfect.

msp_thumbup.gif

The wiring is a bit over the top..............lol.

master volume only......

Like I said.....it got weird........lmao....

Is that how it was wired-up when you bought the 'guard or did you mod it yourself?

I like the wide range of options but, personally, I'd be all at sea without a tone knob so would probably elect to sacrifice the coil-split mini-toggle for a master tone.

I'm sure it must be an amazingly versatile instrument; much more so than a regular Strat.

NICE!!!

Pip.

I really do like the look of that! V. Nice indeed!

Oddly enough a Strat with 'buckers is, for me, anathema but those mini-hums (SD's?) look right at home there. They look Perfect.

msp_thumbup.gif

Is that how it was wired-up when you bought the 'guard or did you mod it yourself?

I like the wide range of options but, personally, I'd be all at sea without a tone knob so would probably elect to sacrifice the coil-split mini-toggle for a master tone.

I'm sure it must be an amazingly versatile instrument; much more so than a regular Strat.

NICE!!!

Pip.

Yes, Duncan minihums

It was wired when I got the pick guard. I agree with you........I will give it some time, but I also think I may sacrifice the split switch for a tone. It is quite bright.......not in a bad way, but I can see where in certain situations it might be nice to have the ability to roll off the tone.

Funny side note.......I bought the guitar used as a Highway One. It appeared to be all original. I also have an American Special. I always thought they were the same guitar and that maybe the highway one had a different finish type. Well with it dis-assembled, I found that the neck was marked highway one, and the body was marked american special.

I'm wondering if this just happened to fall at the time they were switching from one model to another and got parts from both, or if I actually bought a parts caster? I know both models had the 70's big headstock, the vintage style six screw bridge and I thought the only difference was that the H1 was nitro.

Makes no difference to me, just curious. It plays and feels great like my American Special, just never sounded very good......now, it's got it's own sound.

NHTom

• 2 weeks later...

Well.........it got even weirder..............since I all ready had another Candy Apple Red strat.........I felt the need to mess with this poor victim some more..............

Body swap to a Capri Orange.............

creamsicle1_zpspptxhqlb.jpg

creamsicle2_zpsv4a2jhe7.jpg

Sorry.......terrible picture quality.

With the orange body and pearl/cream pickgaurd.........I present the "Creamsicle"........lol.

NHTom

Archived